Preview Round 9, 2024: Hawthorn v St.Kilda - UTAS Stadium, Launceston - Saturday 11th May, 1.45pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I liked the look of Hastie, he has some zip and goes hard. Having said that he didn't get much of it and I'd be surprised if he keeps his spot.

I mean, other than Pou, based on statistical output, the sub and the subbed look the most obvious candidates to be replaced. But both Byrnes and Hastie are outside, so I'm not sure who would replace them if Henry is already replacing Pou. The bigger ground in Lonnie calls for outside players not to be sacrificed for inside players, so it would be a mistake to bring Dow in for Byrnes or Hastie IMO.

Garcia has 7 tackles, 5 inside 50, and is filling the Butler role and on those numbers doing it well.

I mean, other than Pou, based on statistical output, the sub and the subbed look the most obvious candidates to be replaced. But both Byrnes and Hastie are outside, so I'm not sure who would replace them if Henry is already replacing Pou. The bigger ground in Lonnie calls for outside players not to be sacrificed for inside players, so it would be a mistake to bring Dow in for Byrnes or Hastie IMO.

Garcia has 7 tackles, 5 inside 50, and is filling the Butler role and on those numbers doing it well.
Yep I think Garcia stays in based on his tackling numbers. Tackles inside 50 have been majorly lacking for us all year.

Dow probably hasn't earned his spot, but 7 possessions in the last quarter and the fact they'll want to have a look at him might just sneak him in.

Would Dow be a good option for the sub?
In isolation, he did well in the role for Carlton at times.

But given our midfield woes, he either needs to start in the centre square or he plays a full game at Sandy to get fitness so he can start in the centre square the week after.. The sub role for him doesn't really help either party at the moment.

I know if we drop him he won’t like it - but I really think going back to Sandy and hopefully getting his hands on a lot of the pill for a couple of weeks will do him the world of good. He can’t be getting much enjoyment out of the game at the moment & we know he demands a lot of himself.
Really , Anyone who gets dropped doesn't like it , but he needs to go back and find the footy as you said , he really should be taking a big forward back with him but that will never happen

Really , Anyone who gets dropped doesn't like it , but he needs to go back and find the footy as you said , he really should be taking a big forward back with him but that will never happen
Just imagine you're Sam Mitchell this weekend and you look at the teams and see we've dropped King.

I reckon you'd be pretty happy.

Just imagine you're Sam Mitchell this weekend and you look at the teams and see we've dropped King.

Somewhere in this debate the player in question appears to have moved from Pou to King #telephone

Somewhere in this debate the player in question appears to have moved from Pou to King #telephone
Apologies I'll move it back to Pou...

I'd like to see him get a run at Sandy and throw him on ball and see him dominate. I just reckon it could be good for him to prove to himself he can dominate at that level.

You think clubs sh1t themselves because we have Max King LOL
If he plays like he did on Saturday with the same sh1tty attitude Mitchell will be rubbing his hands together , We all know Max has potential but he needs to lift his effort even if he isn't kicking goals , second effort= 0 Chasing=0

If he plays like he did on Saturday with the same sh1tty attitude Mitchell will be rubbing his hands together , We all know Max has potential but he needs to lift his effort even if he isn't kicking goals , second effort= 0 Chasing=0
Thats not what he said at all. He said Mitchell would be happy if King didnt line up and he is 100% correct, matching up on a forward of his type is difficult and banking on him simply having a bad day would be madness as a game plan.

I also love the idea that he needs to lift his efforts when the first bunch of games this year had him doing exactly that in moving much more into a CHF role, pushing up the field and having much greater general impact play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldn't be dropping King this week, but Id be calling him a big sook and to pull his finger out.

The only change I'd be making and I'm not sure if anyone else has thought of this but drop the Pou and bring Henry in.

Also Dow in, Byrnes to Sub again.

Thats not what he said at all. He said Mitchell would be happy if King didnt line up and he is 100% correct, matching up on a forward of his type is difficult and banking on him simply having a bad day would be madness as a game plan.

I also love the idea that he needs to lift his efforts when the first bunch of games this year had him doing exactly that in moving much more into a CHF role, pushing up the field and having much greater general impact play.
What are you on about , you need to go back and actually read the posts , I just said I don't think clubs sh1t themselves because they are coming up against Max , that's my opinion for the reasons I stated

He'd be the number one priority to stop in our forward line for an opposition coach. When he is not in the side it makes their job a lot easier.

He'd be the number one priority to stop in our forward line for an opposition coach. When he is not in the side it makes their job a lot easier.
We are less predictable when he doesn't play IMO , That's not saying i don't want him playing , I'm just saying he really needs to work on some aspects of his game which is pretty self evident

North stopped him without even trying, that's what clubs will be looking at closely. Get inside Max's head early and he's stuffed for the rest of the game.

The strategy may have been simple, and too easily effective for our liking, but they did try (and succeed). Put physical pressure on him early, make the umpires may a decision about how much you can get away with, and keep it up for the rest of the game once you know where the line between permitted and prohibited is.

We are less predictable when he doesn't play IMO , That's not saying i don't want him playing , I'm just saying he really needs to work on some aspects of his game which is pretty self evident
Yep and the things he needs to work on are attitude based, he lacks energy, intensity and enthusiasm. He needs to stop moping around and straighten his back, roll those shoulders back and puff his cheat out and strut around the forwardline like he owns it.

He just looks like he doesn't want the ball, his attitude would he hard to play alongside.

Time for him to get angry and want the ball more.

What are you on about , you need to go back and actually read the posts , I just said I don't think clubs sh1t themselves because they are coming up against Max , that's my opinion for the reasons I stated
What are YOU on about? You directly quoted someone and either misread, misunderstood or just flat out ignored what they said. Here, to give you a hand I will quote the exact post YOU quoted.

You specifically were mocking him as if he said clubs s**t themselves, literally your words, which is not what he said and was entirely made up by you.

The strategy may have been simple, and too easily effective for our liking, but they did try (and succeed). Put physical pressure on him early, make the umpires may a decision about how much you can get away with, and keep it up for the rest of the game once you know where the line between permitted and prohibited is.
Yep as I posted above, it's all on him, his allowing himself to be put off his game too easily.

Yep as I posted above, it's all on him, his allowing himself to be put off his game too easily.

Having said that, I think you'll see him play full back before you see him not hunch over. He's been taller than everyone else his whole life, the hunch is not unusual and at almost 24 years old, it's not about to change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back