Preview Round 9, 2024: Hawthorn v St.Kilda - UTAS Stadium, Launceston - Saturday 11th May, 1.45pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's been fairly average at Sandy, why do you say that? Or are you just repeating things you've heard in the echo chamber?

Possible influenced by the echo chamber of the coaches reviews?

Arie Schoenmaker​

33 disposals, 29 kicks, 13 marks

Arie played first half as a half-back and second half as an inside mid. He was potent for us, he had eight inside-50s and six rebound-50s so was working at both ends of the ground. Some good opportunity for the defensive side of things to ramp up, but when he has the ball in his hands he can do some really good things with it.

Arie Schoenmaker​

32 disposals, 22 kicks, eight marks

Arie played the first half as a deep defender, exposing him to the contest. He presented good alertness and intent, before heading to the midfield to take on Callan Ward in the final term, which produced some learnings also.

Arie Schoenmaker​

27 disposals, 23 kicks, seven marks

Saturday was Arie’s best game for the year. Starting with physicality and intensity around the contest, he competed well with five score involvements as a back so clearly still brought his weapon to the table, good progression shown this week.

Arie Schoenmaker​

27 disposals, six rebound-50s, six marks

Arie had some good moments where he was on his toes and ready to impact. He played a bit of a mixed role playing deep, in the middle and as a high half-back, so it’s a good learning opportunity to be exposed to different attacks. The same as Lance, we’re just after consistency of effort and physicality.

We've not had kid in the magoos pulling consistent numbers like that.
Not in the past fifteen years.

Arie’s numbers are greatly inflated by 10-15 kick outs a game. He’s still going well but certainly doesn’t have the impact you imagine when you read 30 disposals etc

Although I spent my local footy career taking kick outs so I always counted them for myself when exaggerating my impact on the game to mates so I probably can’t talk.

Arie’s numbers are greatly inflated by 10-15 kick outs a game. He’s still going well but certainly doesn’t have the impact you imagine when you read 30 disposals etc

Although I spent my local footy career taking kick outs so I always counted them for myself when exaggerating my impact on the game to mates so I probably can’t talk.
No - not true. He doesn't take all the kick ins. Take them out and he's still averaging 20/21 possessions a game.

Intriguing thing is how he is being used as an inside mid for portions of the game. Early on - but very positive signs.

Averages 4 kickouts a game. It's usually mclennon, Irish or paton taking them then giving it to Arie

I think a lot of the numbers might be because we run our kick ins through his boot, but even so, yes it’s encouraging.

I've watched a couple of games and he doesn't seem to be taking all the kick ins. One game they were very obviously looking for him at every opportunity.

He's getting into the right spots to receive the ball and playing legitimately well though. I'd say that they want to work on him becoming more defensive because right now his offensive game is great but he probably needs a bit more balance.

Also seems like a cross between Battle and Nas and the backline is the one area of the game we haven't had heaps of injury.

I've watched a couple of games and he doesn't seem to be taking all the kick ins. One game they were very obviously looking for him at every opportunity.

He's getting into the right spots to receive the ball and playing legitimately well though. I'd say that they want to work on him becoming more defensive because right now his offensive game is great but he probably needs a bit more balance.

Also seems like a cross between Battle and Nas and the backline is the one area of the game we haven't had heaps of injury.
from the 4 gares reports, looks like they are trying to also develop into midfield maybe? halfback and midfield?

What a load of crap, he would have to take every single kick in for Sandy and play on every single time and he still wouldn't get those numbers.

Look at the AFL for instance, the leading player for play on from kick outs is Luke Ryan who has done it 53 times this season at an average of 6.6 possessions per match. However that's more than double the league average of around 3 extra touches per match for designated kick in players.

There is absolutely no way he is getting an extra 10-15 kicks. The more likely number is around 3.5

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's been fairly average at Sandy, why do you say that? Or are you just repeating things you've heard in the echo chamber?
How many games of Sandy have you watched, he has been getting better every game. He is getting stronger in his body and his positioning and marking is imporving I'd say over the pastmonth he has been one of Sandy's best.

The simple fact is he's playing Wilkies or Battles role and both those blokes are pretty bloody good and not injured.

From my viewings of the VFL on TV, it looks like he needs to work on his defensive side a bit more, but nothing wrong with having to work for your chances

Last edited:
It's a good skill to have with a 1 wood.
all good mids need to ahve quality hands. Oliver, Neale, Cripps.
He is learning to ue his athleticism around the stoppages. I wish I could take out his highlights of the second quarter against the Dons, where he burst from the stoppage like he was doing at u18 level. He works so hard at training on midfield craft I hve no doubt he'll get there. It will be good for him to go back to the twos and get some easier ball and hopefully have 30+ and a couple goals.

It was Chris Judd who said the your strengths as an under 18 player will become your strengths as an AFL player.

Also since his 18th year I think his kicking has improved quite a lot. Much more compact.

The simple fact is he's playing Wilkies or Battles role and both those bloakes are pretty bloody good and not injured.

From my viewings of the VFL on TV, it looks like he needs to work on his defensive side a bit more, but nothing wrong with having to work for your chances
Yea and when the time is right he will come in. How much better will it be for him to come in with Wilkie and Battle as oppose to coming in playing on a better forward.

The simple fact is he's playing Wilkies or Battles role and both those bloakes are pretty bloody good and not injured.

If he's looking the goods in that kind of role- it makes it an interesting call on whether we give battle a big bucks, long term deal to make him turn down free agent offers.

Might be a gresh type situation, where we are better off taking the FA compo and promoting Arie?

Arie might not be too far away from senior election, but he still needs to have a couple of really big VFL games and noticeable impact, and not just a healthy number of possessions. Same goes for others like Jones, Pou, Dow and Sharman- you need noticeable impact on a game to be considered for selection. Sharman probably looked the best Saint last week when he went to the backline.

Launceston area
Partly cloudy. The chance of fog in the early morning. Slight chance of a shower, most likely in the late morning and afternoon. Light winds.

Hopefully the rain holds off for the game to give our marking forwards the best chance. If it does rain it may bring them back into the game with their grunt midfielders and small forwards.

No - not true. He doesn't take all the kick ins. Take them out and he's still averaging 20/21 possessions a game.

Intriguing thing is how he is being used as an inside mid for portions of the game. Early on - but very positive signs.
Would really love for him to blossom into Tasmanian Hayden Young.

Philipou is a tough one. Its evident his body isnt ready yet to genuinely play midfield against sides to the level we want him too but his height/abilities are being wasted with the forward line options available.

If he goes back to Sandy and plays purely mid he will likely get a lot of touch but I wonder if that will be able to translate back to AFL level.
It did with windy. He was dominating vfl and looking like a proper mid. He did his apprenticeship there and now he’s a centre bounce mid with the big boys and getting 20-25 touches. Not being hidden in the forward line like Owens and pou for 5-10 touches

I think at this stage sending Pou to the two's is a question of selection integrity. He needs a spell in the lower level for reasons which have all been pointed out, and the blokes running around in the 2's presently need a bit of carrot, they can't get the idea that certain players are untouchable. Now is the perfect time to do it with Henry coming back and Collard bursting for an opportunity you'd suspect. I'd be getting both of those guys into the team, Henry we saw what he can do and Collard provides a massive point-of-difference to our forward line - and he kicks goals.

So Outs: Hastie, Pou
Ins: Henry, Collard
Dow into the sub role for Byrnes
There needs to be a cultural understanding in the club that the 2s isn’t necessarily being dropped in a punishment way. It can be to develop or have a task (go and dominate in your actual position for a few weeks then come back). Players like sanders at the dogs cracking the shits because they weren’t in the best 22. You need to have your players trust the process and buy into the team.

Hopefully we can send pou there without making it look like a relegation to the seconds due to poor form. Maybe more of making use of the opportunity provided by returning troops to give him a break and chance to reset his game against lesser opposition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back