Autopsy Round 9, 2024: Hawthorn v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The filth won a flag in a season full of wins under 10 points. We are bottom 4 because we can't even win ugly in close games.

A Max King led forwardline is hurting my brain. Owens may be the next big thing but he's got to be getting close to a spell in the twos similar to Pou. Sharman always gets thrown around and is first to be dropped, but he needs a block where Ross backs him in.

Sinclair may not be terrible in the middle, but we lose too much from half back when he isn't there. Bonner gets the numbers, but I'm still not convinced he is in our best team - I'd rather see a backline with Paton, Sinclair, Webster, Nas, Dougs, Wilkie & Battle. Hell I'd be happier seeing Hastie playing his natural role at half back. Just on Hastie, he's being asked to play a role that he has never played, feel for the kid but he's out of position and it's no longer due to injuries.

Sad day when we lose to a cellar dweller and I'm not even surprised or upset.

Hopefully Dow, Pou, Sharman, Hammer and even Clark have a big one tomorrow.

It's a sh*t sandwich. Drag an old coach out of retirement with lots of $$ and expect miracles. What la la land is the president living in.
I’m just staggered by the gameplan. If we wanted to play the kick mark game we might as well have just kept Ratten. It just doesn’t work anymore.

One of the biggest problems we need to work on is our lethargic starts. Can’t keep giving five goals head start.
Maybe change up the pre game ritual or something.
Don’t those in charge ever notice any of these hecken things???!

FMD that was as dissapointing as it gets. Add it in. To the port team and bombers game.

We same unable to move the ball into the 50 at all. The amount of times that battle and Wilkie saved us. I don’t know where it’s gonna come from.

Our players have zero confidence.

Harves needs a break from forward coach. We are so disorganised there it’s a wonder we kick more than 8 goals most weeks.
Who would have thunk making someone with no forward experience the forward coach wouldn't help solve the most dysfunctional forward line in the league. But hey, its a feel good story to get a club legend back to the club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's a sh*t sandwich. Drag an old coach out of retirement with lots of $$ and expect miracles. What la la land is the president living in.
The kind of la la land where former players had voiced displeasure and where wealthy 'supporters' wanted to have an impact.

Reminds me of the Blight appointment. Don't have an actual process. As if there would be any better coaches out there...

we are a great fantasy football team,i can say that for us,7 players tonned up(4 4 3 3 2 2 players in first 3 games)vs 3,marshall 40 points better than the first hawk,10 v 5 got 80 plus,8 v 5 20 posessions plus,2 v 0 double figure tackles,marshall 23 contested and 12 clearances,my imports naicos(C) anderson mccluggage lukosius and rayner will get this st.kilda team home to 8-1,over whitfield ainsworth and laird

but ffs how can we turn getting the ball into winning the game?maybe its better if RTB says,we are kicking that way,just go for goal,keep it simple,try something,let the players figure it out,stop confusing them with game plans,back your ability and smarts,score,win=the gameplan

St Kilda
steve h.
Live
Melbourne
Wayne M.

Yet to play 05

Yet to play 03

That was a really poor effort by the club as a whole. Both the coaches and players had their pants pulled down today. Our inability to win ground ball highlights how soft too many of our players are. Once again apart from Marshall our midfield was flogged.

We have far too many receivers that cant win one on one contests, plus I reckon we would have missed or slipped off 40 tackles. The usual soft tacklers were really exposed with their inability to hold up the opposition and too often were fended off like children. Hawthorns pressure and our inability to cope was a sign of a side who doesnt like the physicality of the game. We have far too many mentally soft players.....

Our one player who can tackle Owens got 10 minutes on the ball? Seb Ross is a liability for 3/4 but doesnt get moved until the last quarter. Again in the last quarter our coaches finally realise that they should tag Newcombe and Paton did a reasonable job on him. Battle was a good move but it should have happened in the first quarter - not the 3rd.

We were raving about what a running club we are but when the pressure is on we do anything but run and take the game on.

This club as a collective are mentally soft with too many of the St Kilda so called stars dont turn up when they are needed.

Ill finish with our switching plays are far too defensive and far too slow. Then when we do get free grass our players prop and wait and dont take the game on. Its like we get to the wings and the entire side have NFI what to do next? We are not a very well coached ATM, the coaches have cojoined too many non physical players.

Last edited:
Is it a pre-requisite to be an emotional reactive pussy in this forum? The club has been very clear that some veteran foot soldiers were cleared out last year and kids will be given game time… both teams today would have very similar age profiles. So don’t expect (because he made finals last year) that we’re a 10 goal better team than Hawthorn… we won every key indicator except the scoreboard, but plenty of positives to take from the game.

Credit to Marshall on the contested possessions by grabbing out of the ruck , 28 disposals, 24 were kicks but it was all at 50% efficiency.

I'm assuming this is born from necessity due to a midfield that can't win on its own merit.

Everything moving the ball forward needs to be reworked.

I don't see how we gain any advantage from Roma grabbing it of of the ruck and hacking it forward. Apart from gaining territory, how often does it lead to a score. Most teams by now would be aware of it and setup for it at stoppage.
I would rather him give it off to someone so we can at least try and maintain possession and find a leading player. Figuring out how to tap the ball to our advantage would also help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back