Autopsy Round 9, 2024: Hawthorn v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Membrey had zero tackles too and did less than king does he stay in?
Also you want to drop king but you don’t want to play kids. Is there an experienced star forward at sandy ready to step up and be a spearhead in the most boring team in the comp?

Yeah Membrey is the one coasting here with Sharman, Caminiti and co in the wings, he's at the point where he needs to be the leader in that F50 and he's failing spectacularly at it at present. I consider our F50 a Ming+Keeler waiting room with smalls at their feet, as 2x 2m+ KPF with agility and an ability to jump on heads is that enticing.

In part this is why I was junking Butler, as he's a paddler, a get out the back and add pressure type, whereas Higgins was our hit up in place of Membrey, our small, our HFF and midfield rotation option, so with him and Collard, we have our smalls and Butler is excess in that situation.

Still doesn't help the HFF, but it's a start of a functional F50 for me.

I am giving mulligans too

Hastie (body clearly not up to it yet)
Henry ( first game back after long lay off)
Wilson (close to giving a pass mark but that last play of handball crap with webster annoyed me)

Slaps to

Marshall great for fantasy but his disposals in all reality for ineffectual and had no damage on the game and lucky not to be punished more for that arrogant chip kick from the defensive goal line

King although better this week channel your aggression into getting the ball instead of trying to get yourself suspended

Ross actually useless today

Membrey I expect better of a leader in the forward line

Gee, Ross trots out the 'if only we kicked straight' trope in response to the very first question.

How offensive to suggest it would be the point of focus, eh? :rolleyesv1:

Who you bringing in? *ing Jones again
I’m not and never have been a jones fan so probably not. Who gets a chance will depend on the sandy game tomorrow and the match committee. All I’m saying is simply these guys aren’t untouchable, poor form should see players dropped and good form should see players promoted. I get how hard some work setting an example on the track etc but when alls said and done it’s what you do in games that really counts.

Poo was dropped as he should have been and others deserve the same treatment. Anyway it will be an interesting week and I think you can count on a few changes.

Unacceptable.
That's all you can say really.
For years, we've bemoaned any sort of midfield and our skill level is just sub standard.
It's quite simply amazing that a professional sports team can have this standard of failure for such an extended period of time.
18 months.
After that I refuse to mentally, emotionally and financially support this club whom I have followed as long as I have been interested in footy and and been a member for the last quarter of a century plus.
The current climate of the AFL is already pushing me towards other sporting codes and my kids (the next generation mind you,) have well and truly lost interest not just in the Saints but in AFL entirely.
I hope the club can turn it around, but this is proving to be historically impossible.
This loss in isolation wasn't great but it's been a culmination of decades of mediocrity punctuated by a few years of hope. 1 premiership in our history was enough of a warning, but the romantic in me thought "maybe? why not us this year??" Well, I'll tell you why - the club is happy with bobbing along as close enough is good enough.
Bitterly disappointed with this season and now that finals are out of reach couldn't really be interested in watching or attending the games, I'll look up the stats of the kids (who will inevitably leave for more successful clubs) after the fact.

Well done Saints, 38 year member ready to give it all away after years of nothing.
Do something, anything! that gives me pause for thought.

Unacceptable.
That's all you can say really.
For years, we've bemoaned any sort of midfield and our skill level is just sub standard.
It's quite simply amazing that a professional sports team can have this standard of failure for such an extended period of time.
18 months.
After that I refuse to mentally, emotionally and financially support this club whom I have followed as long as I have been interested in footy and and been a member for the last quarter of a century plus.
The current climate of the AFL is already pushing me towards other sporting codes and my kids (the next generation mind you,) have well and truly lost interest not just in the Saints but in AFL entirely.
I hope the club can turn it around, but this is proving to be historically impossible.
This loss in isolation wasn't great but it's been a culmination of decades of mediocrity punctuated by a few years of hope. 1 premiership in our history was enough of a warning, but the romantic in me thought "maybe? why not us this year??" Well, I'll tell you why - the club is happy with bobbing along as close enough is good enough.
Bitterly disappointed with this season and now that finals are out of reach couldn't really be interested in watching or attending the games, I'll look up the stats of the kids (who will inevitably leave for more successful clubs) after the fact.

Well done Saints, 38 year member ready to give it all away after years of nothing.
Do something, anything! that gives me pause for thought.
sad season 12 GIF

RTB tried everything & was proactive - moved the magnets around as much as he could - Subbed Hayes at half time looking for more run; Battle forward worked.

The reality is we have a C grade list - we lack elite talent and we lack midfield speed and line breakers. We overperformed last year.

Really Missing Higgo & Buttler today.

The lack of talent plus injuries/suspensions have killed us - we lack continuity plus it takes a few weeks for injured players to come up to speed. I’m optimistic we will get better but reality is we are a middle of the road team at best.

Desperately need to keep drafting well (need to be patient) & hope we can attract some established talent.

The midfield has its issues, but the huge issue with our side is the forward line. Look at the lineup today, it's surely the worst two or three in the comp?

We need another big guy that can give Max a chop out, we need some smaller pressure players. We are desperately missing Butler and of course Higgins. Membrey in horrendous form.

The reason we are horrible to watch is because we don't score and the reason we don't score is our forward line sucks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I mean we're in dire need of a high end pick midfielder 🤷‍♂️

Smillie or Jagga. We are going to be in a good spot to take a gun. Maybe ask for some AFL handout and show our decade of shame and hold up the poo list for them. North have a much better list in development and are getting a free first rounder again this year. We are a middle of the table side playing to absolute capacity.

Totally agree we are playing a midfield that is the worst in the comp and the coaches keep going to the same players eg Seb Ross. Far too many players who cant win a contest and then we have players who are being mismanaged and are going backwards. It seems every week we have 2 or 3 complete howlers in front of goals and our forwards line is the worst in the competition.

Some might say we have to go backwards to go forwards, but ATM we arent playing like a team who believes they can or desparately wants to win games.

Today we saw a dispirited group who thought they would get away with a half baked effort and they got the result they deserved. If we are blatantly honest with respect to consistent footballing effort not much has changed with this group under Lyon than the previous coaches.
North have a better forward line than us

Our better players aren't consistent enough, even within a single game let alone the whole season.

Last season I gave Lyon the benefit of the doubt because we performed better than expected but when we are not playing well I hate his guts. What happened with our game plan... we started the season like dynamite, now it's slow it down & go sideways until we fumble the ball & turn it over.

The midfield has its issues, but the huge issue with our side is the forward line. Look at the lineup today, it's surely the worst two or three in the comp?

We need another big guy that can give Max a chop out, we need some smaller pressure players. We are desperately missing Butler and of course Higgins. Membrey in horrendous form.

The reason we are horrible to watch is because we don't score and the reason we don't score is our forward line sucks.
One of the issues is by talent, it should be our strongest line. Most of the starting players (at least when Higgins and Butler are in the side) have multiple sustained periods of their careers that show they are good players. But whatever we are doing at the moment isn't letting any of them play near their best.

I will post the same thing I have posted for the last 3-5 years:

- We need elite midfielders.

- Ross is not the messiah, have said this since we signed him. Our list is not that bad (besides the need for elite midfielders) we need to be scoring more than fn 50 / 60 points to win games.

I have made sure my kids have inherited my love for the Saints I am now doubting why I have done this.

We are in no mans land and need to get out of it, either prune the list and trade in some mid field talent or tank.

Training standards are better. Too bad we have to play actual games.

Have not been to a game this season. Prefer training and Sandy.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Its a 'false dawn', that effort today was no different than our years under Richardson & Ratten a group of players who dont know how to win! This group are currently being stymied by an over defensive coach who is so wound up in his own tactical genious, he has forgotten how to coach the basics. He has a better list than Richardson & Ratten ever had and apart from the honeymoon period last year our footy has been the same stodgy non attacking rubbish Lyon has produced for years.

Im am happy to believe he has gone this way to reduce the losses due to player availability issues, but now we have players back we didnt look like a team capable of winning today!

On the bright side,

Steele looks to be over that knee issue. Or at least, be less hampered by it.

Nas has learnt how to work himself into a game after a slow start. The candy selling was a small bit of sizzle in an awfully dour game.

Howard was solid again. Battle is still a good set shot.

Reckon that was Bonners best game so far.

6 tackles for Hugo and that nice passage in the 4th where he showed the class to hit a forward on the chest (sad that anyone doing that is considered a highlight).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back