Remove this Banner Ad

I’m too busy being happy that a forward line of

O Allen
J Williams
Jake snake
Ryan Maric
Noah long
B. Williams

Is going to be a premiership level forward line in a few years.

I’m not going to be disappointed by losing badly to last years premiers when I’m seeing improvement everywhere from last year.

I’m too busy being happy that a forward line of

O Allen
J Williams
Jake snake
Ryan Maric
Noah long
B. Williams

Is going to be a premiership level forward line in a few years.

I’m not going to be disappointed by losing badly to last years premiers when I’m seeing improvement everywhere from last year.
The only challenge is that it’s a little tall, but if we can unearth one more X factor creative small forward, what looked like a looming weakness suddenly feels quite secure given Waterman, JWill and Maric’s continued growth.

Hey WCE fans.
Chin up. That wasn’t anywhere near as bad as the scoreboard said.
100% on the way up!!

Witherdon & Barrass was fantastic down back. Ginby will be unbelievable in a year or so!!!

Losing your best players hurt way more than our outs due to confidence and system.
But last year that’s 100pt loss IMO. Absolutely stuck it out! Kudos.

I do ask whether you’re all happy with Reid constantly throwing the fend off?
Don’t get me wrong….hes an absolute star already!!
I just felt that watching it, he first looks for the fend….which threw your mids out in the first half? Interested in thoughts on this?

I thought running him against Nick in the middle was a bad call. But maybe fantastic from an education perspective?
If I barracked for North…..I’d be pi$$ed about letting him go!!!!!! He’s going to be insane! In fact….im already jealous!! :)

Good luck for the rest of the year. You’re on the improve (from a football follower).
Not really sure about your fending off theory. Typically when he gets the ball in the middle we get a great inside 50.

Not really sure about your fending off theory. Typically when he gets the ball in the middle we get a great inside 50.
Not really about “in the middle”.
Just that his first thought is “fend off”.

It looks awesome. But I’m not sure it works best for your mids.
Today he had a heap of chances to give the ball but held on to fend off.
Which either resulted in a ball up or a very scrappy exit.

Not suggesting he isn’t a star….just an observation from someone who follows footy.

Not suggesting he isn’t a star….just an observation from someone who follows footy.
Can definitely see what you mean by this. It some times pays off and looks great but can lead to so much more invited pressure. Probably works better with Yeo in the side. Can’t fault the kids endeavour to try and pull the team over the line though.

Hey WCE fans.
Chin up. That wasn’t anywhere near as bad as the scoreboard said.
100% on the way up!!

Witherdon & Barrass was fantastic down back. Ginby will be unbelievable in a year or so!!!

Losing your best players hurt way more than our outs due to confidence and system.
But last year that’s 100pt loss IMO. Absolutely stuck it out! Kudos.

I do ask whether you’re all happy with Reid constantly throwing the fend off?
Don’t get me wrong….hes an absolute star already!!
I just felt that watching it, he first looks for the fend….which threw your mids out in the first half? Interested in thoughts on this?

I thought running him against Nick in the middle was a bad call. But maybe fantastic from an education perspective?
If I barracked for North…..I’d be pi$$ed about letting him go!!!!!! He’s going to be insane! In fact….im already jealous!! :)

Good luck for the rest of the year. You’re on the improve (from a football follower).
Cheers, just my thoughts...

Very happy with Reid to play his natural game, which includes loads of fend-offs. Sure he'll get caught and he'll learn when is the best to to execute it in time, but that comes with experience and will be even more powerful as he builds strength over a few pre-seasons.

Though people focus on it, his fend off is not his one-wood. Harley has so many other sublime features to his play. The important thing right now is that he enjoys his footy and can play to his strengths, and that it doesn't become too complicated for him by being told not to do something that he loves and is instinctual.

The biggest cheer in the Essendon game was Harley's double fend-off. The crowd loves it, and we haven't had heaps to look forward to over the past couple of years.

Comprehensively dismantled by a better side.

Positives:

• Tyrell Dewar's first AFL goal, and his promising performance generally.
  • Gov (until injured) was our best.
  • Harley's mark and other tasty highlights. Do whatever it takes to keep this guy an Eagle long-term.
  • Witherden played really well and Duggan not far behind.
  • Nice game from Ginbey and Chesser showed some improvement.
  • Collingwood fans booing Sheed every time he touched the ball. Good. Shows they're still hurting.
Negatives:

• Gov injury. I don't want any Eagles getting injured, but why is it so often our best players?
  • First half looked like a return to the depths of 2023. Improved second half (though still outscored), but unsure how much that was due to Collingwood's injuries and them easing their foot off the accelerator when the game was over at half time.
  • Bailey Williams. A shining light in 2023, but was absolutely smashed in the ruck today.
  • Ryan looked disinterested and/or unfit in the first half. Some better efforts in the second half, but that makes his first half look even worse.
  • The ease with which Collingwood waltzed the ball out of the centre from bouncedowns. Yeo was sorely, sorely missed.
  • Tim Kelly has had some really good games this season, but this wasn't one of them.
  • We are so fumbly. Contrast that with how cleanly Collingwood usually handled the ball. Opportunities to go forwards missed, turnovers created.
  • Umpiring. Even if the umpiring had gone our way we'd have been belted, but the umps made things even worse. No intention of enduring the replay to confirm my suspicions, but at the game it seemed we copped some very harsh free kicks against yet numerous ones the other way were missed.
  • Five goals in a game of footy.
When the selection panel surveys the wreckage and plans for next week, I hope they prioritise the youth.

I seriously question “heaps of chances to fend off that resulted in a scrappy exit or ball up”. You mean when Pendlebury tripped him and deep in D50? I can’t even think of many occasions when he fended off today full stop.

If you watched us this year you would know his fend offs have worked very effectively for us and has helped our midfield play very well. His score involvement stats back that up.

If sheed can’t keep up with Reid’s fend offs that’s just another reason not to play him.

Was always going to be a rough game but that effort in the 2nd was brutal. Got smashed in the centre bounce and Pies just did damage with whatever opportunities they had.

Forward line is going to be exciting for the future. Allen, Waterman, Maric and Williams can be a very dangerous combination, with Long, Harley and whoever else steps up contributing.

Sheed's where Gaff was when he was dropped. Too slow, too one footed and not up to it. Bring in Hall, Burgiel. Bleed the youth. Kelly also needed to step up with Yeo out and his effort was woeful.

Hopefully Govs injury doesn't keep him out too long.

Credit where it's due, Witherden, Duggan and Cole had a good effort.

Firstly, thought the Pies were outstanding today. Wonder if McRae played them 2018 GF replay, because the first half they came out with a point to prove. Would have beaten up on many teams today. Very slick.

Disappointing first half from us. We really needed to just slow the game down a bit in the second when it was clear they were running hot, but couldn't get the ball. Glad we ground it out in the second half, which would have not been the case last year or 2. Just one of those days a rebuilding team is going to have against a good team.

Positives

-Solid games by Witherden, Cole, Duggan. Need these mid aged players to step up.

-Loved watching Barrass dominate Mason Cox.

-Sheed living rent free in pies supporters heads (yes he was poor, but still enjoyed the reactions regardless).

-Chesser getting to better spots, Ginbey getting some outside ball. Keep pumping games into them.

-Ryan getting involved in the second half was promising. Hopefully something to build on.

Negatives

-McGovern injury. Yet another internal injury for Gov has got to be a concern. Not sure if it's just a series of unfortunate events, or if he is now particularly prone to them. The sort of thing which could cut a career short.

-We desperately need a big body in the ruck. The pies were just running all over us through the middle today and we were too reactive.

-Love Maric, but would have liked him to take a few more of his chances today. Deserved a couple of front-on contact frees I would have thought. An almost game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I seriously question “heaps of chances to fend off that resulted in a scrappy exit or ball up”. You mean when Pendlebury tripped him and deep in D50? I can’t even think of many occasions when he fended off today full stop.

If you watched us this year you would know his fend offs have worked very effectively for us and has helped our midfield play very well. His score involvement stats back that up.

If sheed can’t keep up with Reid’s fend offs that’s just another reason not to play him.
I appreciate I’m on an oppo board….so I’ll temper my response.

Seen plenty of him. If you take the blinkers off and watch, you’ll actually see that his absolute initial idea is to fend off.
I was simply raising the point that, whilst this looks great, I actually don’t think it’s great for your midfield.

The fact you decided to raise a single instance in the game (which I can’t even remember) says a bit.
Also Blaming another player for being wrong footed by the fend off completely validates my question.

It's weird in a game we lost like that but I feel like most of our defenders had good games.

The ball was just coming in so clean, or goals were being kicked from players streaming through midfield. I thought the defenders were good for the most part.

Mids were shocking. If not for Duggan I don't know where they were getting run and carry from.

However it improved in the second half with some actual transition and good ball movement.

Good to see Dewar and Johnstone involved in possession chains.

Not saying Chesser was great but I loved his kicking skills today, hit targets with ease and sometimes under pressure.

Reid's on another level when he gets the ball, just need to find him more.

The clearance work with Reid and Duggan looked better late in the game, but Duggan shouldn't have to be in there. However at least they tried a different setup and got something to work for a few minutes.

Seen plenty of him. If you take the blinkers off and watch, you’ll actually see that his absolute initial idea is to fend off.
I was simply raising the point that, whilst this looks great, I actually don’t think it’s great for your midfield.

The fact you decided to raise a single instance in the game (which I can’t even remember) says a bit.
Also Blaming another player for being wrong footed by the fend off completely validates my question.
He didn't do any fends off this game. It's an odd take because that's not what he happened this game. In Fremantle preseason game yes.

What he did was he went through the contest and stood up in tackles Tom Green style. We want him to continue taking the game on whether fend off or standing up in tackles because it draws players.

It's that simple. If we wanted him to be a quick release outlet player we would not have drafted him

His initial response to fend-off is because he is one of the few players in the side willing to put their head over the ball, and gets into the guts of a contest. He fends off to create space to dispose of the ball, not because he loves pushing blokes down.

Also an opposition poster going into another club's board and telling supporters to "take the blinkers off" is walking a fine line.

I appreciate your opinion I just completely disagree. Which is fine.

Well I’m trying to figure out what situations you are talking about because you havnt bothered to. I guess it’s easier to have an opinion when you keep things vague.

If sheed is too s**t he can’t keep up or predict his team mates movements he shouldn’t be in the team. Yeo (who is actually good) was pairing up with Reid very nicely. You would know that if you watched.

He didn't do any fends off this game. It's an odd take because that's not what he happened this game. In Fremantle preseason game yes.

What he did was he went through the contest and stood up in tackles Tom Green style. We want him to continue taking the game on whether fend off or standing up in tackles because it draws players.

It's that simple. If we wanted him to be a quick release outlet player we would not have drafted him
Yeah it’s a super strange take based on this game. I literally can’t think of more than one or two moments he went to fend off?

His initial response to fend-off is because he is one of the few players in the side willing to put their head over the ball, and gets into the guts of a contest. He fends off to create space to dispose of the ball, not because he loves pushing blokes down.

Also an opposition poster going into another club's board and telling supporters to "take the blinkers off" is walking a fine line.
100% on the last sentence mate!!!
Never meant to walk the line. Sorry.

Apologie. I hate seeing oppo pricks on our board!!
Harley is a jet and you’re in far better shape than last year (I mean, you could be north!!!).
Good luck for the year.
Your board has been accepting for letting me post. I appreciate it.

It's clearly part of his game and one of his strengths. The more he plays, I'm sure he'll learn when it's appropriate to fend and when it is not. All part of learning top flight footy. I think in time it will be a real weapon if our other mids hold their width and Ried can draw a couple, fend, and dish to the outside. In the meantime, I'm not concerned with him testing the limits and getting caught occasionally. Just my 2c.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back