AFLW Round 9, AFLW Season 7

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
24 and sunny could really take it out of the Bulldogs if the Eagles use the full dimensions of the ground. So of course every kick off West Coast's half-back flank comes straight back into the corridor to a bunch of white jumpers. Seriously, Prior. Seriously. What in the hell are you doing.

So I just read Sarah Black's review of the North vs Collingwood game. Clearly she barracks for Collingwood but I would have thought a bit more of an even review would have been the professional thing to do. She managed to describe all of Collingwood's goals and only mentioned one of Norths. No mention of Charlie Granville, the late replacement and first year player kicking two goals, or Garner putting on another clinic or how Randall dominated their defense or how Vicki Wall, who has only played the game for three months, keeps kicking goals at the highest level. Fredricks did nothing after the first quarter, but she blew so much smoke up her butt it made it sound like she was dominating the game. Very disappointed that our most highly credentialed AFLW journalist could write such a lopsided and disappointing article. You'd never know that North smashed them by 5 goals.
She's a Richmond supporter, and Wall got her own section in the report. But it's ridiculous that she and Kelli Underwood are All-Australian selectors.

More players should do what Moody did, if you go off two common criticisms of the league. Tried to improve the umpiring, and helped increase scoring.

So I just read Sarah Black's review of the North vs Collingwood game. Clearly she barracks for Collingwood but I would have thought a bit more of an even review would have been the professional thing to do. She managed to describe all of Collingwood's goals and only mentioned one of Norths. No mention of Charlie Granville, the late replacement and first year player kicking two goals, or Garner putting on another clinic or how Randall dominated their defense or how Vicki Wall, who has only played the game for three months, keeps kicking goals at the highest level. Fredricks did nothing after the first quarter, but she blew so much smoke up her butt it made it sound like she was dominating the game. Very disappointed that our most highly credentialed AFLW journalist could write such a lopsided and disappointing article. You'd never know that North smashed them by 5 goals.
Wow yeah you're not kidding.

Sabrina Frederick's overhead marking in slippery conditions was a clear standout, and the Roos arguably needed two Tahlia Randalls – one at either end – to help manage the Pie.

.... or arguably they didn't seeing as they won the game convincingly?

[brief mention of North goals]. Unsurprisingly, one of the Pies' best in Ruby Schleicher spent most of that second term receiving treatment on a hip issue

'Unsurprisingly', as if Schleicher's absence is the only possible explanation for North scoring, and she surely would have been holding it up all by herself had she been out there.

There is a paragraph on Wall though, and the goal shown is great.

Ham getting smacked down by the physicality of the big leagues, and then getting up and coming back for more. Talent and persistence. Plays like a winner, even though her team is on the bottom of the ladder. That's a number one draft pick for ya.
100%
It’s great that she wants to be a Footy player, I’ve seen her around a few footy huddles and at my club before she got drafted this year and she’s got that thing about her…if she hadve loved swimming or rowing or nearly any other sport she’d be an Olympian.
She’s unusual.

I know you don't want to admit this but North are actually in a more vulnerable position than the Bulldogs so we (the Suns) actually have two avenues into the finals from here. Assuming this game doesn't flip on its head, the pressure is now on North and the Dogs to get wins this weekend. If either lose then it's well and truly season alive for the Suns.
Did you honestly believe coming into this weekend's games that Collingwood were third on merit and a better team than North Melbourne?

I find that totally illogical, the AFL gave them the Golden route to the finals and they proved themselves good enough to take it, but they are a level below North and it was proven today.

Did you honestly believe coming into this weekend's games that Collingwood were third on merit and a better team than North Melbourne?

I find that totally illogical, the AFL gave them the Golden route to the finals and they proved themselves good enough to take it, but they are a level below North and it was proven today.
My logic was that they kept the margin to less than a goal when they faced the Crows and I consider Adelaide a top four team in the league. They also beat every other opponent they faced this season before losing to North today. Obviously North proved that theory wrong today but I wouldn't say it was illogical to think Collingwood were possibly a top four team this year, particularly when you look at that Crows game. They may still finish in the top four.

My logic was that they kept the margin to less than a goal when they faced the Crows and I consider Adelaide a top four team in the league. They also beat every other opponent they faced this season before losing to North today. Obviously North proved that theory wrong today but I wouldn't say it was illogical to think Collingwood were possibly a top four team this year, particularly when you look at that Crows game. They may still finish in the top four.
So, you based your logic on one result, when North Melbourne lost by 2pts to Melbourne and 7pts to Brisbane, both of which comfortably defeated Adelaide this season. Sounds perfectly logical to me.:rolleyes:

So, you based your logic on one result, when North Melbourne lost by 2pts to Melbourne and 7pts to Brisbane, both of which comfortably defeated Adelaide this season. Sounds perfectly logical to me.:rolleyes:
You do realise footy math doesn't always add up, right? The old paper scissors rock situation: This season Richmond beat Brisbane by 4 points and Brisbane beat Adelaide by 22 points so that means Richmond should beat Adelaide, right? Wrong. Adelaide beat Richmond by 9 points this season. Different match ups present different challenges for every team.

Collingwood have only played a single top 4 team this season (Adelaide) and they appeared to play reasonably well considering they kept the margin to under 1 goal. Therefore the logic was that Collingwood are capable of playing top 4 footy and had a chance against North yesterday. Obviously North proved yesterday that they are better than that but that's also easier to say in retrospect. So I gave Collingwood a chance against North but now that I'm aware of the North result, I give the Pies very little chance against Brisbane on Friday because I have the data to back up that logic.

Get it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This could be an interesting physical encounter between Richmond and GWS, considering the match earlier in the year which had cheap shots galore (most notably the crapper Hosking twin getting a 2-week suspension for cleaning Parker's clock).

Today was the fourth time this season a player registered 20+ disposals and 3+ goals in a game (Conti x2, Randall, Hatchard). And yet it only happened 3 times in the six previous seasons (Phillips x2, Garner).

95% sure this stat is correct.

Today was the fourth time this season a player registered 20+ disposals and 3+ goals in a game (Conti x2, Randall, Hatchard). And yet it only happened 3 times in the six previous seasons (Phillips x2, Garner).

95% sure this stat is correct.
Probably not a coincidence that those players have all played at least 50 AFLW games and have competed in the league since its inception. In the men's league we tend to say it takes around about 80 games experience (or four full seasons) for a player to really hit their straps and perhaps the same can be said about the women's league when a player hits around 40 games experience?

The results of the expansion sides seem to back up this theory with both North (6th) and Geelong (7th) sitting pretty inside the top 8 in their fourth AFLW season and their original crop of drafted players hitting around 40 games experience/spending four season in the system. Richmond (4th), Gold Coast (9th) and St Kilda (11th) are leading the charge for the following year's expansions sides and should all be really contending for the finals next year. The only team that seems to be bucking the trend is West Coast (16th).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back