Game Day Round 9 vs. WCE, Marvel, 1:00pm Sun 12/05

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cross out Kreuger. Include Dean and Richards.
No thanks. I prefer some x factor and Kreuger has a chance of producing something that the other two don't. A tall needs to come in, which eliminates Richards, unless the cupboard is so bare that there is also room for him. We know all too well what Dean's capabilities are and Howe is not going to put the fear of anything into his opponent up forward.

I know Kreuger won't play, but he would be my selection.

No thanks. I prefer some x factor and Kreuger has a chance of producing something that the other two don't. A tall needs to come in, which eliminates Richards, unless the cupboard is so bare that there is also room for him. We know all too well what Dean's capabilities are and Howe is not going to put the fear of anything into his opponent up forward.

I know Kreuger won't play, but he would be my selection.
I suppose an uncanny ability to hit the turf and break something is X factor. Not sure how it would be helpful though.

To me, it would seem a tad optimistic, and to be frank, disrespectful to their very good pair of key backs to go in to this game without a proper key position player up front who offers some physicality and an aerial contest in our forward line.

It may not necessarily end up being Reef and/or much more controversially Kreuger but we can’t just simply full mosquito fleet this one. We will need someone who can hit the packs in Mihocek’s absence.

I suppose an uncanny ability to hit the turf and break something is X factor. Not sure how it would be helpful though.
He might surprise us all and rise to the occasion. What's the point of him being on the list if he is not going to be used when we're bereft of all but midg*ts in the forward line?

he’ll take out 4 players while simultaneously knocking himself out, it would be an exciting opening 5 mins.
After last week, I have decided that whoever we play, our team is invincible. A touch of the unexpected is required to make these certainties a trifle less certain or perhaps even more certain.

In
Dean
Macrae
McInnes
Begg
Out
Shultz
McCreery
Mihocek
Elliott

Howe to play forward

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Hey question?
In your opinion, who is more of a break glass option?
Carmichael, Krueger or Macrae?

IMO, Krueger had the most upside but is made of glass and has had no continuity. He’s the boom/bust choice. Could win us the match or be off injured in Q1.

Macrae just seems so very vanilla to me. I don’t get what others see in him. Nobody can question Fin’s effort or preparation but I’m yet to see him gave a meaningful impact on an AFL match. Has no obvious weapons or X-factor. I don’t think he’ll move the result needle one little bit.

Carmichael either looks great or terrible. On the plus side, he seems physically durable and is the most proven goal-kicker of the trio you named. But he can also butcher it or go missing for periods.

If Krueger is considered fit enough, he’d be my first choice of that trio. If not, Carmichael. Beyond that, I’d rather see what Bytel can offer than go back to Fin again.

How do you see it?

IMO, Krueger had the most upside but is made of glass and has had no continuity. He’s the boom/bust choice. Could win us the match or be off injured in Q1.

Macrae just seems so very vanilla to me. I don’t get what others see in him. Nobody can question Fin’s effort or preparation but I’m yet to see him gave a meaningful impact on an AFL match. Has no obvious weapons or X-factor. I don’t think he’ll move the result needle one little bit.

Carmichael either looks great or terrible. On the plus side, he seems physically durable and is the most proven goal-kicker of the trio you named. But he can also butcher it or go missing for periods.

If Krueger is considered fit enough, he’d be my first choice of that trio. If not, Carmichael. Beyond that, I’d rather see what Bytel can offer than go back to Fin again.

How do you see it?

How many games has Krueger won for us at AFL level or VFL level in the past 4 years?

Why do people rate him so highly?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How many games has Krueger won for us at AFL level or VFL level in the past 4 years?

You don’t have to win games for a team to be valuable.

At least 50% (probably closer to 75%) of our first choice team haven’t won games for us.

System and role players are very important.

Out: McCreery (Conc), Schultz (Susp), Mihocek
In: Sullivan, Macrae, Reef

• Sullivan to replace McCreery who was playing Midfield
  • Reef to replace Mihocek
  • HH to replace Schultz, HH was playing a lot on the wing on Friday.
  • Macrae to join the midfield rotation.

Sub: Richards
Agreed, but I'd have Bytel as sub over Richards.

They just lost by a goal to a team we drew against last round?

Here’s the challenge …

… the folks who think these games are a certainty tend to be the folks who go off their nut when we lose them (as happens from time to time)

After losing to the Eagles of 2022, we have no right to think any game is a certainty. Your final point is spot on as well.

Weirdly dismissive of the role our midfield was playing in this. Especially when we fed Dean to the wolves on Hogan, a potential Coleman medallist.

This. Our first layer of defence is our pressure around the ball.

Why did Frammers and Moore play well against the Scum? Because our mids/forwards applied elite pressure, allowing our defenders to be aggressive with positioning.

Those first 3 weeks of the season were simply unCollingwood like. We've found our groove since then so a guy like Dean would be interesting to see back in the lineup, if they do send Howe forward. As you said, he got sent to the Wolves early in the year in what seemed to glorified practice games. He deserves another shot at it before we make any big calls on him.

Well yeah, because Frampton wasn't playing until our 4th game.

Moore has looked 10 times better since Frampton replaced Dean in R3, because he hasn't been trying to do too much.

Opposition were going through him like the town bike.
It's the upfield pressure. Our defensive system doesn't work unless we can maintain pressure. The pressure is down and the defenders look slack, but once the pressure rises they look great.

Dean wasn't good enough in a contest for full back, but he'd be fine in Howe's role.

He's a key piece for us is Jamie and with his history with back injuries and getting a bit longer in the tooth, I would be leaning to the side of caution. Excitingly it does mean a chance to see a new look forward line with my changes being:

Out: Schultz, McCreery, Mihocek, Elliott
In: Richards, Johnson, Reef, Dean (to sub)

Maynard, Frampton, Quaynor
Howe, Moore Noble

Cameron, Crisp, N Daicos
Sidebottom, Pendlebury, J Daicos

Harrison, McInnes, Sullivan
Hill, Cox, Johnson

Lipinski, Markov, Richards, WHE
Sub: Dean

Make it a fairly simple equation for Reef and AJ, "if you are standing still - you are in the wrong", look to utilize movement and speed to get separation from McGovern and Barrass, and don't get drawn into slow 1v1 marking contests. Whenever we look to enter 50, one/both of these guys should already be on the move creating space and hitting up on a lead.

I still think our midfield and backline will be far too strong for the (admirably much improved) Eagles, and with Dean as the security as the sub we can roll a Frampton/Howe forward and bring Dean on if the forward line is just not working as named.
Agree with your proposed “ins” although I’d have MaCrae (instead of Dean) as your sub.

If forward mix ain’t working you can move AJ back and one of Howe or even Moore forward. AJ has played the last 2 weeks at VFL predominantly as tall back. And he’s looked reasonably competitive in the role. I’d back him in

Only 4 of those - Reef, Bytel, Fin and Kreuger - are realistic options in terms of being competitive or appropriate. The rest are just making up the numbers.
Chaz has been playing above VFL level - but only gets a look in if they relocate one of our defenders up forward

I don’t rate him highly on output.
He’s an exciting mix of competitiveness and mobility.
I hope he gets it together one day.

How do you see it?

Undoubtedly Krueger, is the riskiest pick of the trio.
Not convinced he has either the capacity to play the game effectively at the highest level and the capability to endure a qtr let alone a full match.
Macrae to me hasn’t really been convincing in his quest to make it at the top level. Not sure what his point of difference is, like you inferred.
Thou I will say, having not had substantial time to mould/improve/develop his game at the senior level, I am reticent as yet to fully dismiss him entirely.
Carmichael has shown some quality and tenacity in his limited senior appearances, thou he also has flaws that haven’t really improved enough to warrant consideration.
Krueger for me is the most dangerous risk, thou for one night only may fulfil a need. Just don’t see his longevity for a couple of reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back