Round ball code talk

Remove this Banner Ad

There is an FFA Cup competition, now called Australia Cup, took a long time to be set up, think 10 seasons after the A League was set up.

It includes the 10 or 11 A League teams, NZ team Wellington doesn't get a gig, and teams from the 8 state and territory federations, plus the Northern NSW Federation, which covers cities and towns totalling 1.5 million people, which is bigger than most state and territories federations measured by revenue and assets.

There are 32 teams that compete for the Cup and most if not all of the 14 in the post I took from the soccer board, would be in those 22 non A league teams.

I know. But England and Scotland have two cups. I was imagining Australia doing the same.

A “League Cup” competition between D-I and D-II teams could help both promoting the D-II league and its clubs and measuring their quality against the D-I clubs.

My bad, its 750 teams become 22 from the 9 state and territory federations over 6 rounds, to make the Rd of 32 and join the 10 A league teams.

and then

You see that Northern NSW Federation has 4 teams qualify, same as Qld, and 2 more than SA and WA and 3 more than Tassie, NT and ACT only have 1. Northern NSW Federation starts around Newcastle which is 3 hrs drive north of Sydney and a city of about 300,000 people all the way up to the Qld border and inland to Tamworth and Gunnedarh etc.

When FFA was going thru a couple of its restructuring phases of Oz soccer over the last 20 years, they tried to amalgamate Northern NSW with NSW Federation, but they are financially so strong they told the FFA to get stuffed.

Edit and Wellington does get to compete. Top 8 A league teams from previous year go automatically in. Bottom 4 play against each other well think its 9 v 12 and 10 v 11 and those two winners go in to make it 10 A League clubs.

1670236959997.png

Last edited:

2 cups and a shield 😉 (I don't really count the community shield but)
I think that the FA Cup should qualify for the Champions League. It’s a shame not be taken as equivalent to the EPL.

The League Cup, then, would be a “cup proper”, while the Shield would be what it already is: for the minnows, a consolation tournament; for the big clubs, a heated practice for their reserves.

I expect Japan to be successful. Korea, not so much.

I think Brazil’s pressure to be second-best behind Spain, if not the best in the comp. We recover the ball fast.

The difference between us and Spain is that we don’t do the tiki-taka. We pounce again and again and again.

At some point against CMR, TV showed an interesting stat: average time for recovering possession.

Brazil’s was half of Cameroon’s; fewer than 15”.

15 seconds was the average window Cameroon had to break our pressure and try to score. Otherwise, we would steal the ball back.

Moreover, Brazil would keep possession for 30” at most in average. Brazil also had 21 shots and 11 corners. We weren’t interested in keeping the ball. We want it to strike.

It’s like waves against the rocks.

And it was our reserve side.

I think that the FA Cup should qualify for the Champions League. It’s a shame not be taken as equivalent to the EPL.

The League Cup, then, would be a “cup proper”, while the Shield would be what it already is: for the minnows, a consolation tournament; for the big clubs, a heated practice for their reserves.

FA Cup winners used to play in the European Cup Winners Cup

FA Cup winners used to play in the European Cup Winners Cup
Yes. When the tournament was scratched, it got a spot in the UEFA Cup.

It should have gotten one in the Champions League, instead.

My personal opinion, of course.

Who are the countries who have reached the semifinals in the world's biggest soccer stage?

Well, here they are:

There's a clear Top-8: Germany, Brazil, Italy, Uruguay, France, the Netherlands, Argentina, Sweden.

---

Germany is the only team to have reached the semifinals (or equivalent) in more than half of the 24 tournaments held so far.

---

The 2018 World Cup was the first tournament since 1930 not to have either of Brazil or Germany in the semifinals.

There were five tournaments with none: 1920, 1924, 1928, 1930, 2018
There were also five tournaments with both: 1958, 1970, 1974, 2002, 2014

---

Also, Italy is in third even failing to advance past the group stage (or to qualify to it altogether) since 2010.

Last edited:
Who are the countries who have reached the quarterfinals in the world's biggest soccer stage?

What if we consider the Final-8?

Well, here they are:

There has been three tournaments with issues.

In 1930 and 1950, there were no quarterfinals. I needed to either consider the group stage as the "de facto" quarterfinals or only award points for reaching the Final-4. I have chosen the latter.

In 1982, the quarterfinals had 12 teams. I have awarded points to all of them.

---

There's now a clear Top-10: with England and Spain joining the group of Germany, Brazil, Italy, Uruguay, France, the Netherlands, Argentina, Sweden from the previous ranking.

---

Germany and Brazil are the only teams to have reached the quarterfinals (or equivalent/better) in more than 70% of the 24 tournaments held so far.

---

Since 1930, every single tournament have had at least one of Brazil or Germany in the quarterfinals.

There were three tournaments with none: 1920, 1924, 1930
There were seven tournaments with one: 4, with Germany (1928, 1934, 1966, 1990); 3, with Brazil (1938, 1950, 2018).

In 14, both have qualified.

---

Also, Italy was still in third even failing to advance past the group stage (or to qualify to it altogether) since 2010.
However, Argentina will certainly overcome them after beating Australia in Qatar.

Last edited:
Belgium is the only champion (1920) to miss being included among the Top teams in either of the rankings.

England and Spain at least make one.

Every country with multiple titles are included in both.

Sweden and the Netherlands make both lists despite never winning any tournament.

Who would lose more if the Olympics were disregarded?

If you thought Uruguay, you were almost right. It would be fully right considering semifinals-only.

In truth, Uruguay (-220 pts) would lose practically as much as the Netherlands (-206).

However, considering the Quarterfinals ranking, if the Olympics wouldn't count, then the biggest loser would be...
Italy!

Right after the Italians (-302) come 7 teams (5 of those being part of the Big-10).
For me, the rankings actually make more sense with the inclusion of the pre-World Cup tournaments than without it.

Still, these are the World Cup-only rankings:

SF: There's no more clear Top-8. From France (4th) down, everybody is packed close together.
QF: There's no more clear Top-10. From Argentina (3rd) down, everybody is packed close together.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brazil's football sublime. Celebrations a bit cringey. That second goal penalty was crap.

It was penalty everyday and twice on Sunday.

When the Korean set himself to shoot the ball was at his disposal. When he actually kicked it, there was a Brazilian between him and the ball. He kicked the Brazilian, instead.

Penalty.

Was a really poor penalty shootout from a kicking perspective - probably the worst I've ever seen at any kind of top level.

I'm still appalled. And I was at the stadium to witness a shootout that ended 2-1 for the Copa Libertadores. (Yes, there were 7 misses combined.)

It was penalty everyday and twice on Sunday.

When the Korean set himself to shoot the ball was at his disposal. When he actually kicked it, there was a Brazilian between him and the ball. He kicked the Brazilian, instead.

Penalty.
Again, it's stuff like this that doesn't endear the game to the Australian public. If that happened against Australia your average Joe dismisses the game as a game for cheats and divers. I know we are in the minority here and the rest of the world doesn't give a s**t about Australia or Australian soccer, but its why culturally soccer will never be a top line sport in this country.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back