Round ball code talk

Remove this Banner Ad

I think there is still Costa Rica v. New Zealand to be played.
You are right. I thought Costa Rica had won, but they play in about 21 hours.

Its a bloody big result for the game in Oz after the doom and gloom of the last few qualifying games before the two knock out games the last week.

Men's WC in November and then hosting the Women's WC with NZ in July/Aug next year.

Plus the men play in the 2023 AFC Asian Cup in June next year, think in the Philippines..

Yeah finally coming back to earth now... what a ******* result.

Peru lost it in the first half I feel. They should have had the class to put their stamp on the game early but almost the opposite happened. From there the longer it went the higher the chances for us got. Nothing between the two sides really. Really feel for them, they're a quality side that plays the right way, hard, fast and no staging and diving like some of the sides in our Qualifying group.

Onwards and upwards now.

Tunisia Australia is must win for both sides.

France we defend like madmen for the small chance we can salvage a draw.

Denmark we will be underdogs but we will need to produce an upset. Do that and who knows.

Honestly surprised by the result. Feels like weakest team we have had in a long while. Great result and effort. Maybe I'm a bit too harsh on Arnold.

Got the first two weeks of the World Cup off, so hopefully some entertaining football and some how we can get past the groups.

Last World Cup we lost to France 1-2, then drew with Denmark 1-1 and final game we lost to Peru 0-2 to finish last in our group with 1pt.

On paper Tunisia is an "easier" opponent than Peru in 2018 or 2022. France and Denmark will be about the same.

Simon Hill has lucked out. His commentary is synonymous with so many big Socceroos and domestic league moments of the last 17 years.

If he didnt end up at the BBC with a fellow Man City fan, who was older than him, his senior, and became mates, who then emigrated to Oz to work for SBS radio, and suggested to Hill to come and have a holiday in Oz after he lost his job at the short lived ITV Sports Channel, he wouldnt have become the voice of Oz Football and gone to so many big football games and football events.

This long interview with Lucy Zelic on SBS a couple of years ago, it was a podcast but the full transcript is below, details his life, career and how he ended up in Oz.

I didn’t think they were allowed to move in goal for a penalty ... He was bouncing around!
He cant come forward off his line, he can move along the line and one of his foot has to be on or behind the line when the strikers boot first touches the ball.

Thats why you had 2 line judges either side of the goal posts and the VAR guys watching and doing a slow mo replay to check once the shot has been taken.

Its in stark contrast to the 1999 Women's WC when the US goalie a couple of times was out almost half way to the penalty kick taker and blocked a couple of shots to help US win the WC on home soil.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I saw that this morning about half an hour after the game when I flicked over to ABC News and pissed myself laughing. Tony was a ittle embarrassed watching it back in the studio.

What the video doesn't show is that someone grabbed his scarve (that his grandma knitted) and he chased after them, and others in the crowd went and yelled into the camera and made faces and signs etc. Probably went for another 60 seconds.

It was a tense game, a game that Peru came out in defensive mode who allowed us to move the ball around so they could create counter attacks to create the opportunities for themselves, but credit to Graham and the coaching staff taking on controlling of the game not allowing Peru to get comfortable, which held for the first half, as for the second half it was more Peru who started to get into the groove as the game went on, another inch to the left of the goal post and that header from Peru in dying minutes would have gone in and then the clearing of the ball to hit the Peru in the face a not go into the goal, was a miracle which could gone anywhere. In those seconds, it was a game of inches.

To all our penalty takers, all were clinical expect for one. I think the best penalty taken, was from Mabil for a player so young and with so much riding on it and the keeper doing his best to put him off, he put it away clinically.

As for the miraculous interchange of keepers was a master stroke to use the the main attributes of the keeper is good planning. Redmayne is our hero as was Mark Schwarzer in 2006, but it was Aloisi who finished the job.

This is no disrespect to Redmayne, it was a very poor penalty kick and easy to read.

As a previous goal keeper in my hay days, I was taught on penalties to help with the guess or to anticipate where the ball will go, which was to look at the angle of the player when they line up to take the shot and look at the hips (body), with the last two penalties from Peru, note the angle of the players, both shots went in the same direction. If the players where on a less of an angle, it would have gone the left of the keeper. 70% of the time it method to the madness (decision making) works, but not for the players who have the ability to go in on a wide angle to kick the ball to the left of the keeper, players like Messi, Roberto Carlos, Maradonna, all left footers are the ones that capable of doing this under these conditions with ease. The last penalty from Peru the player in the last two steps moved his hip body to angle his foot. This is when Redmayne read the shot and produced a hero's moment.

With group we are in, to progress into the next round, we will need to be realistic.
France: best out come to come away with the draw, or lose by 1 one goal.
Denmark: must win... and draw is is satisfactory.
Tunisia: must win....

Going by what I have seen in the UEFA Nations League (warm ups to the World Cup) I cant see us winning against Denmark, and I cant see how we are going to stop Mbappé.

But then again, I couldn't see us in progress to move into the next round in 2006 and that we would be playing Italy in a knock out round losing by a penalty in the dying minutes in Germany.

We are so lacking a main striker, and with out a true striker we will struggle to score at the WC.

Redmayne’s heroics went even further, with eagled-eyes viewers spotting his sneaky act during the penalty shootout that may have contributed to the Aussie triumph. Peruvian goalkeeper Pedro Gallese was seen looking at his water bottle between shots, presumably reading notes on the Socceroos penalty takers.

And as Craig Goodwin lined up to take Australia’s third penalty kick, Redmayne picked up the rival goalkeeper’s water bottle and flung it over the nearby advertising fencing. It was cheeky, it was shameless, it was beautiful.

Now, his penalty exploits have gone to a new level after brand new footage was brought to light. Uploaded to social media by Movistar Deportes, the footage comes from just behind the fence near the goals and shows in clear detail as Redmayne walks over, picks up his counterparts bottle and dispatches it over the barricade. As he tosses the bottle however, a piece of paper – presumably with the notes written on it – falls out. Redmayne doubles back, collects the paper and walks off.

Geir Jordet
@GeirJordet
Football psychology researcher, consultant. Professor Norwegian School of Sport Sciences. Love looking where no one else is looking/In sterquiliniis invenitur.

Well I'd heard during the week that Man U were going to unveil a yellow and black alternative strip for the friendly against Aston Villa, but it's all white, while Villa are wearing their away strip - an all light blue shirt without claret sleeves. Both in dark shorts and socks. Bet that won't happen in the real stuff.

Last edited:
Hey chiwigi. What’s up with the crowds at your home games?
I’ve seen both and been impressed with the composure of your boys against reasonable opposition.
They have certainly ground out those 2 wins.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back