General Bombers Talk Round one 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's hope only 3. Although if it's 4 Carlton and Brissy aren't terrible for him to miss. However we need him vs Jacobs
I was doing the same calculations as well. Really can't have McKernan go against Jacobs.

Lucky that we don't have Melbourne in the first 3 weeks. Would've turned a genuine 50-50 to Melbourne's favour.

What are the thoughts on replacing Bags with Dea round one? Or perhaps even Ambrose? How small could Ambrose play?

B: Dea - Hartley - Brown
HB: Gleeson - Hurley - Goddard
C: Zaharakis - Watson - Parish
HF: Colyer - Daniher - McDonald-Tipungwufi
F: Stewart - Hooker - Fantasia
R: McKernan - Heppell - Merrett
I/C: Kelly - Stanton - Langford - Hocking

If Laverde is fully fit and firing at training then he plays in place of someone. Probably Stanton i guess...
I don't think McGrath has done enough as yet. He's not comfortable enough at this level to use his pace as a weapon which pretty much renders him redundant.

Looking forward to the clash against the Hawks. I believe we will win comfortably. Hawthorn are in a big decline, the Bulldogs proved that in the semi final last season. Hope Tippa plays on Rioli. The only player imo who can shut him out. Ill have a crack as what the side may look like:

B - Hartley Hooker Ambrose
HB - Mcdonald-Tipungwuti Hurley Goddard
C - Zaharakis Watson Parish
HF - Laverde Daniher Colyer
F - Fantasia Stewart McKernan
R - Bellchambers Heppell Z Merrett

Int - Gleeson Langford Hocking Howlett

I have Hooker in his regular position of FB as he is a AA defender. I know he can play up forward but he is better in defense imo. Cant see Baguley in our best 22. Yesterday against Geelong showed he isnt a small lock down defender. Plays from behind, decision making is very poor, cost the team 3 goals in the last qtr. He is a liability down back.

Looking forward to the clash against the Hawks. I believe we will win comfortably. Hawthorn are in a big decline, the Bulldogs proved that in the semi final last season. Hope Tippa plays on Rioli. The only player imo who can shut him out. Ill have a crack as what the side may look like:

B - Hartley Hooker Ambrose
HB - Mcdonald-Tipungwuti Hurley Goddard
C - Zaharakis Watson Parish
HF - Laverde Daniher Colyer
F - Fantasia Stewart McKernan
R - Bellchambers Heppell Z Merrett

Int - Gleeson Langford Hocking Howlett

I have Hooker in his regular position of FB as he is a AA defender. I know he can play up forward but he is better in defense imo. Cant see Baguley in our best 22. Yesterday against Geelong showed he isnt a small lock down defender. Plays from behind, decision making is very poor, cost the team 3 goals in the last qtr. He is a liability down back.
TBC is going to be no where near it! He will be a bigger liability than Mckernan and Stewart already are!

im not going to assume we go in with both Hooker and Belly without a preseason hit out.
so, Rd.1 line up for mine:

Baguley Hartley Hooker
Stanton Hurley Ambrose
Parish Heppell Colyer
Langford Daniher Tippa
Fantasia Stewart Watson
McKernan Goddard Merrett
Hocking Kelly Zaka Howlett

Defence
Ambrose should have the pace and strength to run with Rioli (and maybe Brad Hill him a couple of times).
Bags had a mare against Menzel, but really he was left exposed by poor midfield pressure and Hurley having to cover Hawkins instead of marshalling the defence. Hartley in helps that structure. I still like Hooker in defence as well and Stewart forward to provide 2nd ruck support to our #1.
Kelly/Stanton rotate to be that calm, experienced head out of defence. Goddard we need on the ball. I don't like seeing him in defence.
We've taken some hits to a back 6 i rated as the best in the league. Hibberd, Carlisle, Fletch retiring, Hooker being used forward and Baguley being injured.
Hartley, Hurley and Hooker are class for the talls. Dea and Brown as depth are good to have.
Our small/med defenders need a bit of work.

Ruck
Mckernan v McEvoy doesnt bother me so much as Smack will have the athleticism to burn McEvoy off. Not a bad game to run him as #1.
Berger's injury and Belly's fitness are not ideal. Our ruck depth has taken as much a hit as our defence in the past few years.

Middle
Pace from Parish & Colyer, plus tippa pushing through from HFF. Langford, Merrett, Heppell and Goddard/Watson rotating for the class.
Hocking and Howlett for the bulls when we just need to close it off a little.
Stanton's tank is an asset too, to allow rests for Tippa, Langford and Parish.
We have depth here, a lot of it still to develop.
I really want to see tippa through the middle more throughout the year.
Hepp, Merrett, Langford, Colyer + McGrath and possibly Begley coming through.
Francis and Laverde could also prove weapons once we see a little more games and consistency from them.

Forwards
Fanta as our primary small forward, plus tippa for the forward pressure.
I'd like to see Watson and Goddard rotate from middle to forward. 2 very smart readers who are also very good kicks on goal.
More than anything, i'd like to see Langford and Watson make space for Stewart and Daniher to split defences and Fantasia and Tippa to crumb contests.
Quicker ball movement forward and space for our two talls are where i see our scoring issues.
We are better positioned here now than we've been in a while.

Outs
Dea/Brown may get look ins if Bags' drop is closer than expected. I won't write off one game as he's been our best small forward lock down player.

McGrath doesn't look ready for AFL just yet, and playing him against Breust, Pop or Rioli isn't going to help. We have some depth in defence, so if it turns out he ends up being a midfielder, more the better for us. But not for Rd.1 yet.

I like Green and he was a good get. But i can't drop anyone for him. Tippa's pace and pressure is too important. Watson/Goddard rotation gives us two of our best on the field without sacrificing pace in the middle. Langford has booked his spot after a fine preseason.

Laverde needs to show more. Against a Hawks outfit that is beatable if we turn on our best for most of the game, i'll go with Howlett and Hocking to be the big body, hard tackling mids when we need to lock the midfield fight down.

Gleeson i rate, though he seems to be lacking the last bit of polish to be trusted as a ball carrier in defence. For now, i go with the experience of Kelly and Stanton.

Begley is not ready. Though i can see him in from Anzac Day onwards with a few VFL games under his belt. Looks a natural footballer. May be a bit like Oliver in his first year and need the time to build the tank and consistency.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back