Media Rucks - Are they worth their pay cheque?

Remove this Banner Ad

If we plot hit outs in every game this season against team score there is a moderate correlation, this however is expected regardless of the effect of the number of hit outs on scoring, there is a profound effect the other way. ie scoring causes hit outs. (The more goals you kick the more centre bounces you attend.

The relationship between hit outs and score this season has thus far had a correlation coefficient of 0.68. The equation for the relationship is:
s = 4.98h + 32.49.

This means that there is on average roughly 5 points scored per hit out with a baseline score of 0 hit outs giving a score of 32.5
1695019476288.png
Given that there is a clear cause of increased hit outs against score line (goals cause centre bounces), perhaps a look at hit out differential against score differential will paint a different picture.

There is a very weak correlation here. The correlation coefficient between score differential and hit out differential is only 0.35. (0.25 isconsidered no correlation, 0.5 is the border between weak and moderate)

1695019871633.png

If however 5 outliers are removed form the data set, the correlation coefficient improves to a respectable 0.63. However we can't do that because those games happened.

When we look at ratio of hit outs against ratio of score line, the correlation is so low it is considered non existent. r = 0.20
1695020250735.png

SO there doesn't seem to be any correlation between ruck hit outs and score line.

One last thing, I noticed when looking this data up that there appeared to be a large home ground advantage (HGA) to the home ruck man in ruck contests, at least earlier on, so I plotted a graph of games as they occurred against whether that game contributed to the HGA, adding one for each game where the home ruck man had the advantage and subtracting one if he lost the hit out differential. Over all games so far this season it is an interesting result.

1695020726356.png

Attachments

• 1695020226881.png
    1695020226881.png
    6.7 KB · Views: 12
Homer Simpson Cartoon GIF

Love this. Know somebody who would Hate the ruck slander though.

Homer Simpson Cartoon GIF

Love this. Know somebody who would Hate the ruck slander though.
Just something I've noticed over the seasons. I wonder what the ruck hit out to advantage vs neutral is in the sim, we'd have to actually read the commentary to find that.

If we plot hit outs in every game this season against team score there is a moderate correlation, this however is expected regardless of the effect of the number of hit outs on scoring, there is a profound effect the other way. ie scoring causes hit outs. (The more goals you kick the more centre bounces you attend.

The relationship between hit outs and score this season has thus far had a correlation coefficient of 0.68. The equation for the relationship is:
s = 4.98h + 32.49.

This means that there is on average roughly 5 points scored per hit out with a baseline score of 0 hit outs giving a score of 32.5
View attachment 1807052
Given that there is a clear cause of increased hit outs against score line (goals cause centre bounces), perhaps a look at hit out differential against score differential will paint a different picture.

There is a very weak correlation here. The correlation coefficient between score differential and hit out differential is only 0.35. (0.25 isconsidered no correlation, 0.5 is the border between weak and moderate)

View attachment 1807060

If however 5 outliers are removed form the data set, the correlation coefficient improves to a respectable 0.63. However we can't do that because those games happened.

When we look at ratio of hit outs against ratio of score line, the correlation is so low it is considered non existent. r = 0.20
View attachment 1807066

SO there doesn't seem to be any correlation between ruck hit outs and score line.

One last thing, I noticed when looking this data up that there appeared to be a large home ground advantage (HGA) to the home ruck man in ruck contests, at least earlier on, so I plotted a graph of games as they occurred against whether that game contributed to the HGA, adding one for each game where the home ruck man had the advantage and subtracting one if he lost the hit out differential. Over all games so far this season it is an interesting result.

View attachment 1807075

Good thread.

Always been more into Edging myself than 'The Edge'

VXdt19E.png

Yes and I did something similar even earlier than that.

But if we plot Total combined hit outs against total combined score we get an even stronger correlation showing that scoring goes hand in hand with ruck contests.

1695030540327.png

The relationship has a slope of 6.75 points per hit out and a y intercept of 17.6

RUCKS are still the 'Heart and Soul' of every Qootball team.

You can piss off with all the stats.
Rucks might be, but not because of the hit outs. They may however take more marks around the ground etc.

But if we plot Total combined hit outs against total combined score we get an even stronger correlation showing that scoring goes hand in hand with ruck contests.

View attachment 1807266

Well, ruck contests occur only after goals so this isn't too surprising, is it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well, ruck contests occur only after goals so this isn't too surprising, is it?
Um... that was the entire contention of the start of the OP. Read the first paragraph on the first graph.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back