Rule changes seem like a given

Remove this Banner Ad

That's good.
I have noticed the umpires are starting to get much stricter on non prior opportunity over the last 2 weekends and have been paying a lot against the tackler or ball carrier and less stoppages.

Players will adapt and then less frees will be paid overall to go with the less stoppages and less congestion.

And presto, much less congestion.
It was interesting that Richo pretty much indicated on 3AW that the starting positions didn't look good.

Exactly. I would hate to see any rule change that severely limits how the game is played. The best results will always come from adjusting a rule such that it incentivises teams to play how you want the game to be played, rather than forcing them to play in any given way (whilst also severely restricting creativity) with a cheap half measure.

I occasionally hear people in the media expressing concerns about zonings, and how it achieves the goal of reduced congestion but raises other issues. What disappoints me is that no one ever talks about an alternative; it seems as if it's 'zones or nothing' when it comes to fixing congestion concerns. Having said that, I can't expect much more from the football 'journalists' and 'experts', given the quality of work that they consistently serve up.

I cant see them running back and forward just to crowd a contest when that very crowding will cause another stoppage that will repeatedly send the back again.

Yep and that in many peoples opinions is forcing zones, the one thing just about every other ball game has but ours. Bye bye uniqueness of Australian footy!

Such closed minded thinking this zone stuff

How about we look at the cause, and IMO it's because the umpire takes so long to ball the ball up at a stoppage.

"Put your hands up if you want to go for the hit out. Ok, Sam and Max you can contest (just like the last 20 times). Ok everyone, I'm coming out this way, don't get in my way".

20 seconds later - Big breath, up it goes - "wow, when did those other 12 players get here?"

Same deal with the boundary throw ins.

That's the problem. It's the AFL who have enabled the coached and players the time to get to the contest.

Umpire, get ball, throw it up/in

That is way too realistic and sensible for HQ to look at

Yep. That's why I dont care about any rules changes they bring in.

I cant wait for the rusted on to leave the game in disgust and then watch the *******s at afl come groveling.

If they balls this up bigtime, there needs to be a full clean out. New commissioners, new media, new committees, independent reviewing of any rule changes, contractual obligations in media deals etc etc

We need people or groups preserving the game, not ******* it up beyond all recognition to appease corporate profit margins...

I find it hilarious that these clowns are going to majorly overhaul the games fundamentals after a couple of weeks simulation. ruddy LOL.

WHAT COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG?

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

No new commissioners... there should be an AFL board with 1 representative from every club and an unbiased and impartial chairman who oversees the clubs making decisions. The rest is nonsense. I care very very little about what happens to this sport moving forward. That in itself is very, very sad.

Yep, 24/7 media and the AFL gravy train.

The rules of the game are what make it great, so the obvious and logical thing to do is apply them.
Well let me tell you something - this is exactly how Nazi Germany started! A lot of layabouts with nothing better to do than to cause trouble!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The only issue with that is the game has been destroyed last 10 years.witha million rule changes.

Its so over officiated
Yes agreed they stuffed so many so many rule changes and interpretations recently. Now they will alter the entire fabric of the game with this zones/starting positions bs based on a couple of 20 min scratch matches done behind closed doors. Mind blowing stuff

Bartel had some interesting comments in response to an AFL sponsored BT today in the lame WCE v Dogs match ch7.

Essentially argued we need to make a decision that high scoring = good football
Good for Channel 7, and by extension Gill's bonus.

Bruise free shootouts are s**t. Other than the result, Saturday night's game was pretty much what should be being aimed for.

Ruck nomination needs to go.

Good for Channel 7, and by extension Gill's bonus.

Bruise free shootouts are s**t. Other than the result, Saturday night's game was pretty much what should be being aimed for.

Ruck nomination needs to go.
Yes agree. My concern is that todays "custodians" want football to be played like that AFL X summer concept where its basketball like up and down the ground with few if any contests.

Bartels other point, that i think is important, is that there have always been good games and poor games in any round of football. The rose coloured glasses of those yearning for what the game used to be like, seem to forget that

So we are told the 6 6 6 thing will be trialed this week in the VFL, and transgressors will be punished with a free kick against

But we are not told where. Perhaps in the centre square as now

That begs the question when the free kick is being taken, can the attacking team and defensive team flood the attacking 50? You’d think they can.

Interesting to see what happens

Yes agree. My concern is that todays "custodians" want football to be played like that AFL X summer concept where its basketball like up and down the ground with few if any contests.

Bartels other point, that i think is important, is that there have always been good games and poor games in any round of football. The rose coloured glasses of those yearning for what the game used to be like, seem to forget that

You are a Geelong supporter dont you remember the 89 Grand Final?? (watch it) Nothing AFLX about it high scoring bash and crash footy doesn't get any better that is what we should be aiming for not this lockdown crap.
The game on Saturday night only opened up because Scott had no choice in the last qtr but too release the shackles and play attacking footy hooray surprise surprise it got entertaining Geelong should be doing this every week.
Hope he rolls the dice against Tigers last time they played was a terrible spectacle with everyone behind the play no one too kick too was a debacle and they lost anyway why bother?

IMO Bartel talks shite cant see the forest for the trees frightened of change the same as many of the coaches they are too involved to objectively sit back and say this is no good we need to do this better the viewers can see it and can just switch over.

How about they just pay frees against players who tackle a player before they get the ball?

Less congestion.. or even only allow one tackler per person?

Along with OP TV ratings are also down because there is more s**t on TV these days.

Throw the s**t fixturing along with FoxtelGo, Netflix, Stan and whatever else there is these days along with Social Media and people now have more choices than ever to watch something else.

Back in the day it was 7,9 and 10 thats all we had. Footy was our fallback. Now our fallback has become Netflix or if you're really bored talk on here to complete strangers.

...So as an outsider (from the UK) just coming to the game can someone explain a few things for me about your strange rules?

Why do you have 22 matches a season with 18 teams, calling it the " home and away" phase when teams only get 5 matches with the same team both home and away... and how do they choose which teams play the extra matches? Why not just 17 matches or a full 34 of both home and away?

Also, why don't you make a bigger deal of the McClelland Trophy, after all it's the fair end of a season long league tournament.

And lastly, isn't it about time to break the AFL rich boys monopoly club and start allowing promotion & relegation between the lower leagues (WAFL, SAFL etc)??

Thanks.

PS. Aren't they pawns and not shrimps for the barbie? ;-)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back