Running Thread - Join our Strava Club!

Remove this Banner Ad

Trying to decide if I go the NB 1080v11 or the Nike Invincibles as my easy run shoes.

Had a pair of 1080v10 which I loved and I also have a pair of Invincible’s already but not sure which to go for!

Love my 1080 v10 and have heard good things about the Invincibles. Kind of in the same boat re: 1080 v11 or Invincibles.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Trying to decide if I go the NB 1080v11 or the Nike Invincibles as my easy run shoes.

Had a pair of 1080v10 which I loved and I also have a pair of Invincible’s already but not sure which to go for!
Love my 1080 v10 and have heard good things about the Invincibles. Kind of in the same boat re: 1080 v11 or Invincibles.

My invincibles make me look forward to running slow. Love them for an easy run.

wadistance

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 17, 2011
Hamburg, DE
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
BvB, Boston Celtics
My invincibles make me look forward to running slow. Love them for an easy run.

I’ve got both. Different shoes.

Invincibles are incredible. Averaged 4.06/km for 17.5k this morning meaning to go easy. Felt amazing. Not one bit of soreness after.

But they’re lousy at cornering, and I think if you use them too much you might leave yourself prone to some inflexibility given how much of a platform they have. Could also bring about plantar issues as your foot sinks into the foam.

1080’s are an unreal daily trainer. Super snappy, and more tactile than the invincible. Better for workouts and tempos.

I’d use the invincible when you’re tired and need some nourishment. And the 1080s when you want to feel fast

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon

Invincibles are incredible. Averaged 4.06/km for 17.5k this morning meaning to go easy. Felt amazing. Not one bit of soreness after.

But they’re lousy at cornering, and I think if you use them too much you might leave yourself prone to some inflexibility given how much of a platform they have. Could also bring about plantar issues as your foot sinks into the foam.

1080’s are an unreal daily trainer. Super snappy, and more tactile than the invincible. Better for workouts and tempos.

I’d use the invincible when you’re tired and need some nourishment. And the 1080s when you want to feel fast

Yeah agree, I think the Invincibles have a very specific use case, whereas the 1080 is more of a 'traditional' daily trainer option where you can use it for most stuff. I love strapping the Invincibles on to just plod along though, especially when you buy them close to $100 off their obscene RRP.

Oct 1, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Liverpool

Great feedback.

I’ve gone the new balance. I do prefer the narrower shoe compared to the quite wide profile of the invincible’s, they tend to rub together occasionally when I run.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon

I've been keeping an eye on the Vongo for a longer run shoe, apparently the stability setup in it works well without being obstrusive and otherwise it's basically a 1080

wadistance

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 17, 2011
Hamburg, DE
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
BvB, Boston Celtics
I've been keeping an eye on the Vongo for a longer run shoe, apparently the stability setup in it works well without being obstrusive and otherwise it's basically a 1080

Vongo would be my go to shoe if I needed stability. Or the Kayano lite. Apparently it’s unreal

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Vongo would be my go to shoe if I needed stability. Or the Kayano lite. Apparently it’s unreal

I've got the Nimbus Lite and it's pretty nice, bit of a low-fuss option that I keep around for whenever another shoe doesn't really suit what I want. It's not a stability shoe, but the geometry of the shoe means it's quite stable underfoot. Will be the shoe I take with me when I travel for work once we're allowed again, has broken in nicely after the first couple of runs and just kind of gets the job done without you really noticing it's there. I'd describe it as pleasant but unexciting.

There's so many shoes out there that it makes you want to run more just to get to try them all out.

wadistance

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 17, 2011
Hamburg, DE
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
BvB, Boston Celtics
I've got the Nimbus Lite and it's pretty nice, bit of a low-fuss option that I keep around for whenever another shoe doesn't really suit what I want. It's not a stability shoe, but the geometry of the shoe means it's quite stable underfoot. Will be the shoe I take with me when I travel for work once we're allowed again, has broken in nicely after the first couple of runs and just kind of gets the job done without you really noticing it's there. I'd describe it as pleasant but unexciting.

There's so many shoes out there that it makes you want to run more just to get to try them all out.

It’s honestly the best time ever to be running with the options we have available

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
It’s honestly the best time ever to be running with the options we have available

I wasn't a fan of the Nike supershoes and what they were going to do to the sport of running (to me, it felt similar to the swimming supersuit era) but they've undoubtedly brought in a massive wave of innovation and change to the running shoe industry

wadistance

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 17, 2011
Hamburg, DE
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
BvB, Boston Celtics
I wasn't a fan of the Nike supershoes and what they were going to do to the sport of running (to me, it felt similar to the swimming supersuit era) but they've undoubtedly brought in a massive wave of innovation and change to the running shoe industry

I think it’s quite different to the supersuits in that the biggest innovation isn’t then carbon plate (we’ve had track spikes for years with those) - but the reactive foam that allows you to train more whilst recovering better. People are improving due to a he quality of their training and recovery, not just due to forward propulsion. Yes, it helps. But it’s not the only thing

I think it’s quite different to the supersuits in that the biggest innovation isn’t then carbon plate (we’ve had track spikes for years with those) - but the reactive foam that allows you to train more whilst recovering better. People are improving due to a he quality of their training and recovery, not just due to forward propulsion. Yes, it helps. But it’s not the only thing

I 100% think it has helped my improvement, not that i have a supershoe... but the Tempo Next %s have the nylon plate and the ZoomX foam, and i recover so well from it... I was wearing them for long runs when i had been mara training and couldn't believe how well i was feeling after a 28-30k run

mind you being just in that early couple of years improvement stage also probably helped!

crowsarethebest

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 22, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide Crows
Doing the Melbourne Mara and looking at what I should do for gels. I've been using isotonic SIS gels during training which work for me (22g of carbs), taking them one every 7km on my long runs without issue. I'm semi worried that I won't be getting enough carbs in during the Mara as I'm reading only and they're recommending 30g - 60g of carbs per hour, some even saying you can go up to 90g per hour if your stomach can handle it. That's a lot of gels needed to carry for the race though so am wondering whether I should hit the energy drinks at each drinks station along with my gels (I believe SIS are sponsoring this years Mara).

Any advice would be appreciated!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Doing the Melbourne Mara and looking at what I should do for gels. I've been using isotonic SIS gels during training which work for me (22g of carbs), taking them one every 7km on my long runs without issue. I'm semi worried that I won't be getting enough carbs in during the Mara as I'm reading only and they're recommending 30g - 60g of carbs per hour, some even saying you can go up to 90g per hour if your stomach can handle it. That's a lot of gels needed to carry for the race though so am wondering whether I should hit the energy drinks at each drinks station along with my gels (I believe SIS are sponsoring this years Mara).

Any advice would be appreciated!

Do you have a goal time?

Marathons aren't really long enough to need that level of fuelling, that's more relevant to ultra-marathon or ironman triathlon type durations.

Without knowing a time, I'd say stick with what you know and what's been working and you'll be fine. Anything under ~ 2 hours you don't really even need gels if you're sufficiently fuelled prior to the race, so it's not like you're having to start from empty.

Well looks like Melbourne is a no go for me on 3 fronts

(1) The groins haven't recovered and I re-aggravated it on a downhill section about 16km into last Sunday's 50km.
(2) Rostered onto work that Sunday, being Christmas it's almost impossible to get someone to work it for you even though it's a Friday RDO (which I intend to use to go to Adelaide for the Test Match)
(3) Getting back into Qld, unless the rules change in the next week I would have to isolate for 14 days at home upon returning to Qld as we're still at the 7-% rules. If it was the 80% rules it would mean a negative test but I'd need to get that on the Saturday practically immediately upon arrival and hope that test is negative. It's a bit easier for Christmas as I have a day or 2 to get the test done.

With Auckland also no-go for the foreseeable future, Hobart on January 9 is the next on the agenda.

wadistance

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 17, 2011
Hamburg, DE
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
BvB, Boston Celtics
Do you have a goal time?

Marathons aren't really long enough to need that level of fuelling, that's more relevant to ultra-marathon or ironman triathlon type durations.

Without knowing a time, I'd say stick with what you know and what's been working and you'll be fine. Anything under ~ 2 hours you don't really even need gels if you're sufficiently fuelled prior to the race, so it's not like you're having to start from empty.

I’d take less gels, but also practise fuelling with SIS. If your body digs it, then that’s one less thing to worry about

crowsarethebest

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 22, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide Crows
Do you have a goal time?

Tracking for around 3.40- 3.50 ish but honestly if it's hot I'd be very pleased to run under 4 hours!

Well I reckon I'll go with what I know and what I've been doing during training and take gels at regular intervals

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Tracking for around 3.40- 3.50 ish but honestly if it's hot I'd be very pleased to run under 4 hours!

Well I reckon I'll go with what I know and what I've been doing during training and take gels at regular intervals

You'll be fine with what you're doing, just stick to what you're used to and don't over-do it and you'll get through, a gel every 7km-ish is plenty of fuel to get through that duration so don't mess with what's worked for you in training.

Hopefully it's a mild morning Sunday week and you enjoy the run!

Dan Moody

That, was liquid football
Apr 3, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood
Doing the 1/2 Marathon next week and currently tapering. Biggest battle at the moment is to decide what runners to wear

Dan Moody

That, was liquid football
Apr 3, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood
Surely whichever match your outfit the best, have to look the goods in the photos
Lol, did the Sandy Point Half last week and sussed out the photographers positions on the first leg out.
I've gotten sick of looking like a hot, sweaty, uncoordinated, middle aged flog in the photos that they send through after the event. I've done that many, just for once I want something that makes me look like I'm enjoying myself.
So, I had 7 photos sent through on Monday night and I'm smiling and looking right at the camera. I'd even managed flying feet in 2 of them.
I just came back from a 10k up at Point Nepean this afternoon and wore my Zoom Fly 3's, I'd forgotten how good they felt. I think I'll be in them next weekend

ash_1050

Premiership Player
Nov 21, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory and Arsenal
Had my first real warm weather run for quite some time today, suffice to say goodbye split times until the body acclimatises.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back