Running Thread - Join our Strava Club!

Remove this Banner Ad

I did the Two Bays (28km) trail run last weekend.

It’s a great event, varied undulating trail (there are steps, limited pavement, mostly dirt trail though with an abundance of rocks and roots) from Dromana over Arthur’s Seat to Cape Schanck. 3hrs 10 min. Elevation gain 860m.

Couldn’t have asked for better weather for mid Jan. It was mild conditions 18-20 degrees, slightly overcast with some sun and a nice cool breeze. It made up for the horrendous conditions I faced on the Great Ocean Road earlier last year.

Pleased to report no injuries.

The event was very well run; great spirit from the runners, fantastic volunteers and spectators. Everyone was very supportive. Highly recommend it.

Having been predominantly a pavement runner, I can see the allure of the trails!

Need to sign up for another race before the runner’s high disappears!

I did the Two Bays (28km) trail run last weekend.

It’s a great event, varied undulating trail (there are steps, limited pavement, mostly dirt trail though with an abundance of rocks and roots) from Dromana over Arthur’s Seat to Cape Schanck. 3hrs 10 min. Elevation gain 860m.

Couldn’t have asked for better weather for mid Jan. It was mild conditions 18-20 degrees, slightly overcast with some sun and a nice cool breeze. It made up for the horrendous conditions I faced on the Great Ocean Road earlier last year.

Pleased to report no injuries.

The event was very well run; great spirit from the runners, fantastic volunteers and spectators. Everyone was very supportive. Highly recommend it.

Having been predominantly a pavement runner, I can see the allure of the trails!

Need to sign up for another race before the runner’s high disappears!
It's an awesome event and unlike a lot of trail runs, it's still very much runnable for the most part.

I just spent the week up the Grampians and very slowly hobbled to the Pinnacle yesterday. I think my days of trail races are probably over, at least ones with steep descents. Knee isn't handling it anymore.

Mate, I’m envious. That sounds amazing.

How much did the NYC package cost? That has always been a bucket list item for me. Love the city, been three or four times, and would love to run it.

package cost was $3.8k AUD, includes 3 nights accommodation in a decent midtown hotel, plus some other extras (bus to start line, a couple of drinks receptions, t-shirts etc). Cost to enter normally for an international is around $500AUD, plus 3 nights in a midtown hotel would be around $1500AUD anyway, plus the few other extra perks you get, probably only really paying $1.5k above that cost to guarantee entry early on. I ran it via the ballot in 2022, and it was incredible, but stupidly I also ran the Marine Corps Marathon the weekend prior in DC, and I was pretty banged up by the time I hit NYC so I didn't really fully enjoy the experience like I could/should (it was also stupid hot/humid that year and was pretty brutal anyway without the added fatigue from the weekend prior). So whilst I finished the race in 22 ive felt the need to go back and run it again and enjoy it properly ever since. also Im a bit if a US Politics nerd and like being over there for their general elections, and this year is going to be a particularly wild one! so was happy to pay the guarantee tax to just make sure of my NYCM entry this year..

package cost was $3.8k AUD, includes 3 nights accommodation in a decent midtown hotel, plus some other extras (bus to start line, a couple of drinks receptions, t-shirts etc). Cost to enter normally for an international is around $500AUD, plus 3 nights in a midtown hotel would be around $1500AUD anyway, plus the few other extra perks you get, probably only really paying $1.5k above that cost to guarantee entry early on. I ran it via the ballot in 2022, and it was incredible, but stupidly I also ran the Marine Corps Marathon the weekend prior in DC, and I was pretty banged up by the time I hit NYC so I didn't really fully enjoy the experience like I could/should (it was also stupid hot/humid that year and was pretty brutal anyway without the added fatigue from the weekend prior). So whilst I finished the race in 22 ive felt the need to go back and run it again and enjoy it properly ever since. also Im a bit if a US Politics nerd and like being over there for their general elections, and this year is going to be a particularly wild one! so was happy to pay the guarantee tax to just make sure of my NYCM entry this year..

Definitely worth it. Maybe next year for me!

I had a look at the Marine Corps Marathon website. It looks fantastic. I was a big fan of DC when I visited there which was a couple of days before Obama’s first inauguration in 09. It’s crazy to think how different the political landscape is now.

Have you seen the page of famous runners who have completed the Marine Corps marathon? I was relieved to see my PB has Drew Carey and Oprah covered! But Clarence Thomas killed it! Who would have thought!

Definitely worth it. Maybe next year for me!

I had a look at the Marine Corps Marathon website. It looks fantastic. I was a big fan of DC when I visited there which was a couple of days before Obama’s first inauguration in 09. It’s crazy to think how different the political landscape is now.

Have you seen the page of famous runners who have completed the Marine Corps marathon? I was relieved to see my PB has Drew Carey and Oprah covered! But Clarence Thomas killed it! Who would have thought!

I’ve run MCM 4 times now, did it again last year, I love it, it’s a brilliant marathon - the people’s marathon! Highly recommend. DC is awesome.

Bought some barefoot shoes. Go on a 3k walk in them most nights, haven't and likely won't run in them. No way near enough support, especially hard surfaces. Grass might be ok but I'll pass for now

Can feel foot muscles working differently when using them, I'm assuming that's good but will take longer to figure out how much benefit. Achilles pain not gone away at all. Hoping gym work/weights plus these manage to fix it though

Con: heel pain. Such thin soles I assume contributing to this but also changing from work/dress shoes for 10 hours then into barefoots for a walk and/or soccer boots for training. Constantly changing footwear cause problems?

Whatever you do if you use these shoes, don't step on a rock. That took me back to childhood stepping on a lego!

Achilles pain not gone away at all. Hoping gym work/weights plus these manage to fix it though

Might be worth a visit to the podiatrist just to get a bit of an idea of what's going on. Could be inflammation, could be poor footwear, could be incorrect exercises to support the muscle groups, could be a combination of all three.

Bought some barefoot shoes. Go on a 3k walk in them most nights, haven't and likely won't run in them. No way near enough support, especially hard surfaces. Grass might be ok but I'll pass for now

Can feel foot muscles working differently when using them, I'm assuming that's good but will take longer to figure out how much benefit. Achilles pain not gone away at all. Hoping gym work/weights plus these manage to fix it though

Con: heel pain. Such thin soles I assume contributing to this but also changing from work/dress shoes for 10 hours then into barefoots for a walk and/or soccer boots for training. Constantly changing footwear cause problems?

Whatever you do if you use these shoes, don't step on a rock. That took me back to childhood stepping on a lego!

RE: Achilles, I did this session literally every day when I was rehabbing some Achilles tendonitis issues and reckon it did a world of good.

My first Half.

The event itself was great, even if finishing the way I did only felt embarrassing.

Thanks for the kind words. I'm definitely going again.

My PB is not going to stay at 2:45. :D

By Sunday afternoon when everything had cooled down I literally couldn't put any weight at all on it, and that's hardly changed since.

I saw physio yesterday who was really good.

First step is rule out stress fracture. It should improve a lot in the next couple of days if there's no fracture.

If that doesn't happen, need to see a GP for imaging referral and go from there.

Then re-start, find the weak link in the chain, and add in some strength training to complement the running.

Wish I'd seen him 8 weeks ago! :p

Anyone spot where it all went wrong? lol

View attachment 1789014

Sooooooooooooooo thought I might as well write an update....

Pain didnt change, so went to a GP about 5 months ago, to get a referral for imaging to rule out fracture.

My Physio had told me that x rays can sometimes be hit and miss in confirming, but the Dr will know what to do.

Dr says "ok, lets get an x-ray".

I asked him "Is it worthwhile doing anything else, MRI or something?"

He basically scoffed at me and said "No you don't need MRI, x-ray is all you need to see if there's a fracture or not".

Two days later I get results over the phone "X ray confirmed no fracture, so should all clear up with a couple of weeks rest".

On that basis, then spend several months doing Physio rehab/ strengthening work, gradually building back up to impact stuff like jumping, single leg hopping etc.

Still had aching in the new year when I tried to start running under physio instruction, couldn't get through a 50m jog through.

Physio decides better look further in case we're missing anything else and refers me to the Matilda's Dr James Ilic.

He straight away says X ray is a waste of time for bone stress injury, you need an MRI.

"If someone asks if you should do something, and you're not sure whether it would be of any use or not, you just do it for them anyway".

An MRI confirmed there's still a fracture, so it's off for a CT scan to investigate further.

Todays results are that the bone is still trying to heal itself (despite all the load it's been copping), so I've now got a moon boot for 6 weeks.....

TL;DR

Back to square 1

processed-7E283792-9A07-46D5-A54C-6330FA2A3D7C.jpeg

Sooooooooooooooo thought I might as well write an update....

Pain didnt change, so went to a GP about 5 months ago, to get a referral for imaging to rule out fracture.

My Physio had told me that x rays can sometimes be hit and miss in confirming, but the Dr will know what to do.

Dr says "ok, lets get an x-ray".

I asked him "Is it worthwhile doing anything else, MRI or something?"

He basically scoffed at me and said "No you don't need MRI, x-ray is all you need to see if there's a fracture or not".

Two days later I get results over the phone "X ray confirmed no fracture, so should all clear up with a couple of weeks rest".

On that basis, then spend several months doing Physio rehab/ strengthening work, gradually building back up to impact stuff like jumping, single leg hopping etc.

Still had aching in the new year when I tried to start running under physio instruction, couldn't get through a 50m jog through.

Physio decides better look further in case we're missing anything else and refers me to the Matilda's Dr James Ilic.

He straight away says X ray is a waste of time for bone stress injury, you need an MRI.

"If someone asks if you should do something, and you're not sure whether it would be of any use or not, you just do it for them anyway".

An MRI confirmed there's still a fracture, so it's off for a CT scan to investigate further.

Todays results are that the bone is still trying to heal itself (despite all the load it's been copping), so I've now got a moon boot for 6 weeks.....

TL;DR

Back to square 1

View attachment 1900844

Annoying, definitely worth seeing a sports med doctor for this stuff as you've discovered.

Hopefully all the work you've done already will see you bounce back a bit quicker.

Annoying, definitely worth seeing a sports med doctor for this stuff as you've discovered.

Hopefully all the work you've done already will see you bounce back a bit quicker.

Annoying and negligent....

The other extreme of required treatment was surgery to bone graft and plate, so I'll take this setback as the lesser of two setbacks and somewhat of a win....

RE: Achilles, I did this session literally every day when I was rehabbing some Achilles tendonitis issues and reckon it did a world of good.

I used this too. I ran 2 marathons on consecutive weekends late 2022 (Washington & New York) and after I got back to Oz developed terrible Achilles tendinitis, took weeks to get over it but this was a good help.
After that though the issues moved up the same leg and for months I had calf and even quad issues. I reckon it took 4 or 5 months until I was running freely again after that. The lesson I took was: don’t run 2 marathons in seven days 3 days after flying 24 hours across the globe.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Went for a 5km run last night and ended up with a very sore lower back on one side that wasn't there, or overly noticeable, prior to the run.

As a result have punted my current shoes which have ~450km on them and ordered a new pair. Normally I'd replace them at the 550km mark but in this case the cost of replacing them slightly sooner is much cheaper than any physio or mental health costs from an injury and not running. Went with a colourful pair of Brooks Glycerin again:

969e5190-ab6d-4e38-aac0-b15db40de203.jpg

Went for a 5km run last night and ended up with a very sore lower back on one side that wasn't there, or overly noticeable, prior to the run.

As a result have punted my current shoes which have ~450km on them and ordered a new pair. Normally I'd replace them at the 550km mark but in this case the cost of replacing them slightly sooner is much cheaper than any physio or mental health costs from an injury and not running. Went with a colourful pair of Brooks Glycerin again:

I've found even within the exact same make and model of shoe one pair won't long as long as another.

I've got a pair of Speed 3's that got ~ 700km whilst another pair are at ~ 380km and already starting to feel like they're on the way out.

Went to the physio this morning and the results are in. Injured my quadratus lumborum (a muscle in the lower back) largely due to not incorporating glutes into my warmup/warmdown routine and doing static warmup stretches rather than dynamic. I always enjoy that the physio is a mix of fixing the issue and realising it was entirely preventable had you been doing the right thing.

Doing another physio session on Monday and should be right to resume running mid next week.

On a side note the new shoes arrived this morning, only 26 hours from order for them to arrive from Brisbane to Melbourne. Would definitely recommend ShoesFeetGear next time you're buying a new pair of runners.

ive been running in Glycerine's for over a decade. they are exie, but the best for me for long distance running. Nowdays I usually buy 2 pairs of them plus a pair of Ghost or Adrenaline's for shorter runs, all at once when I find a good special, and just rotate the three pairs concurrently. its a big outlay of approx $400-$500 at once, but doing it this way it keeps me going for the best part of 6-8 months (I usually train for/run at least one and often 2 full marathons a year, as well as heaps of 10ks and HM's).

The best two days are the day you sign up for the race and the day you complete it. Everything in between is miserable!
Hence me running in Orange next weekend. The 4.5 hour train ride from Sydney better be worth it (and I don't mean the $27 E/W fare).....

Bit of a left field question here, but I am dealing with some knee meniscus tears, many moons ago I had this issue a couple of times when playing footy.. and the physio I saw treated it with ultrasound, which seemed to work for me.

My question is, I see you can get home ultrasound machines, are these a viable option to assist treatment (along with rehab and strength training etc) or are they a bit of a rort and don't actually do much.

I have been ever so carefully increasing my running, am currently doing 3k in a go, no pain etc.. but really my patience is drawing to an end with this baby step stuff so i was also just sussing out other options that may help and keep me going

Remove this Banner Ad

Back