Running Thread - Join our Strava Club!

stmookeyj

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
With Wangaratta Half (pedestrian 2:07 after spending it all in the first 15km) and Port Macquarie (4th last to finish the treble breakwall buster), had a curve ball thrown for South Africa with their committee basically being told by Athletics South Africa to enact the rule stating any international (i.e anyone who isn't a South African) has to get a clearance from their federation to run, which has normally only been enacted for those in contention to win the race, finish top 10 or win an age group (think an Aussie did so in the over 65s last year from memory). Whilst I've been told just to sit tight (which I may do until next week if nothing happens), other federations around the world are actually demanding money to get their runners a clearance. Whilst it is in the rulebook it's odd that this is one of very few races where an athlete's clearance (as opposed to a medical clearance which French marathons require) is demanded.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TyroneVickery29

All Australian
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Dallas Mavericks
Looking for a few tips.
Not aiming to complete a marathon or anything like that, just want to run a good time for an 8km in January next year.
Hopefully start training this week, I probably run a 5 minute K at best at the moment.
So any Do's and Dont's would be greatly appreciated!

MinerBoy

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Other teams?
Plenty of time so you can build slowly. Depends what you're doing now and what your base is.

Parkrun might be a good start if there's one local to you. Free 5km time events every week. Walkers and runners all welcome.

Don't be shy to walk, then walk/run to get started.

Maybe aim for a 5km fun run along the way.

Overall at this point I'd just be looking to get active and run for fun. Get some kms in and build up the distance and pace as you go along. January next year is so far away and way over the top in terms of a training plan from now to then for a single 8km event.

Maybe tell us a bit about yourself. Age, current fitness etc....so we know where you're starting at. Also your profile says you're from Ballarat which is a super strong running community. Find a group and join them. So much better for motivation and inspiration (and ideas) if you have people to run with. All the better if they have some experience. Perhaps head in to The Running Company shop up there and ask about the group runs they run weekly. Julian the owner is a high class runner and coach and should be able to point you in the right direction.

https://www.therunningcompany.com.au/ballarat/

https://www.facebook.com/therunningcompanyballarat/

MinerBoy

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Other teams?
With Wangaratta Half (pedestrian 2:07 after spending it all in the first 15km) and Port Macquarie (4th last to finish the treble breakwall buster), had a curve ball thrown for South Africa with their committee basically being told by Athletics South Africa to enact the rule stating any international (i.e anyone who isn't a South African) has to get a clearance from their federation to run, which has normally only been enacted for those in contention to win the race, finish top 10 or win an age group (think an Aussie did so in the over 65s last year from memory). Whilst I've been told just to sit tight (which I may do until next week if nothing happens), other federations around the world are actually demanding money to get their runners a clearance. Whilst it is in the rulebook it's odd that this is one of very few races where an athlete's clearance (as opposed to a medical clearance which French marathons require) is demanded.
Ah that sucks. Hope it's a smooth, and cheap, process.

PoopingHindi

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur FC
Plenty of time so you can build slowly. Depends what you're doing now and what your base is.

Parkrun might be a good start if there's one local to you. Free 5km time events every week. Walkers and runners all welcome.

Don't be shy to walk, then walk/run to get started.

Maybe aim for a 5km fun run along the way.

Overall at this point I'd just be looking to get active and run for fun. Get some kms in and build up the distance and pace as you go along. January next year is so far away and way over the top in terms of a training plan from now to then for a single 8km event.

Maybe tell us a bit about yourself. Age, current fitness etc....so we know where you're starting at. Also your profile says you're from Ballarat which is a super strong running community. Find a group and join them. So much better for motivation and inspiration (and ideas) if you have people to run with. All the better if they have some experience. Perhaps head in to The Running Company shop up there and ask about the group runs they run weekly. Julian the owner is a high class runner and coach and should be able to point you in the right direction.

https://www.therunningcompany.com.au/ballarat/

https://www.facebook.com/therunningcompanyballarat/
is that you Moose? ;)

stmookeyj

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
So Canberra was pretty slow after the first 10km or so (no directional issues this time!), Cairns was brutal in that only 4 finishers broke 3 hours (I didn't), Wings for Life done and dusted with a similar distance to last year (16.79km for me). Now it's just a final long training run this weekend before winding down to the start line in Durban.

Top Bottom