AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur FC
Mar 16, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Not sure if this guy is one of our posters on here but is in our Strava Big Footy Group.
Guinness World record for Sydney Mara last weekend in a business suit . 2:44 if you don't mind. Wow

https://www.runnersworld.com/unconventional-world-records/man-sets-crazy-fast-marathon-record-in-a-three-piece-suit?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=Social&utm_term=1078948541&utm_campaign=Runner’s World

I saw this guy finishing last week in Sydney. Reckon the suit would need a fair dry clean before it would be right to wear into the office.

Purrfect Pussies

Premiership Player
Mar 28, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
Really need to sign up for something to get that motivation back. Stuggling at the moment.
Need to get a bit of trail action to find the mojo. Get off the concrete & track stuff. Target a trail race in your neck of the woods

Longest run in over 12 months for me yesterday. Only 21km but great to mentally tick it off. Bit bloody stiff today though.

Sep 15, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Canberra Raiders,Crystal Palace F.C
Need to get a bit of trail action to find the mojo. Get off the concrete & track stuff. Target a trail race in your neck of the woods

Longest run in over 12 months for me yesterday. Only 21km but great to mentally tick it off. Bit bloody stiff today though.
Really want to do trails but dont really know where to start as ive never done any at all. :(

Really want to do trails but dont really know where to start as ive never done any at all. :(

Not much to 'em mate. Pretty scenery and usually some small undulations. :p

The really are great fun though and the few I've done I've just worn road shoes. My training in the build up has basically been no different to road events. Perhaps trying to sneak one hilly trail run in somewhere for the practice.

You could obviously get far more hardcore in to trail running than that but even as you and I run now, there's no reason you couldn't take one on. Perhaps look for something not overly technical or hilly. Just an actual trail (off road) run as a start point.

Struggling myself with the running at the moment. I'm still getting out there (200km in September) but there's little enjoyment. Just going through the motions. I think mainly because my body and legs in particular feel like they're fighting me every run. Every step feels laborious.

Possibly time to get some treatment. Old football injuries wearing me down. Knee, shins, Achilles. All sore and aching at some point or another. Not so bad I can't run but enough to always be there throbbing away, mentally wearing me down and making it hard to sleep.

Jun 27, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur FC
Struggling myself with the running at the moment. I'm still getting out there (200km in September) but there's little enjoyment. Just going through the motions. I think mainly because my body and legs in particular feel like they're fighting me every run. Every step feels laborious.

Possibly time to get some treatment. Old football injuries wearing me down. Knee, shins, Achilles. All sore and aching at some point or another. Not so bad I can't run but enough to always be there throbbing away, mentally wearing me down and making it hard to sleep.
it sounds like you're running on my legs.

my last 3 weeks: 12 k's (patella tendonitis), 47 k's (just easing back into it) and then this week 10 k's (achilles soreness) and i wont run another step until Monday in the hope that this will go away.

the knee pain is nothing new and something that i know i have to manage but i've never had any problem with my achilles before and i'm a little scared.
i'd decided on a late November marathon but it all hinges on how i pull up from my next run now. :(

it sounds like you're running on my legs.

my last 3 weeks: 12 k's (patella tendonitis), 47 k's (just easing back into it) and then this week 10 k's (achilles soreness) and i wont run another step until Monday in the hope that this will go away.

the knee pain is nothing new and something that i know i have to manage but i've never had any problem with my achilles before and i'm a little scared.
i'd decided on a late November marathon but it all hinges on how i pull up from my next run now. :(

Damn that sucks. The good news is, every time I get Achilles soreness I have an exercise routine that eliminates it quite quickly.

The guy who gave it to me (Shaun Brewster for those who know him) calls it Achilles Panadaol and I swear it's perfectly named. Eliminates the pain really quickly and it's so simple.

In a nutshell: Up on your toes on the one leg that is sore and hold for 45 seconds. Rest 2 minutes. Do this 4 times and do 4 sets for the day.

It's unbelievable how good this is. There's a separate exercise that is about strengthening the area but in terms of pain release and getting the freedom back and you out running I've found this fantastic.

Jun 27, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur FC
Damn that sucks. The good news is, every time I get Achilles soreness I have an exercise routine that eliminates it quite quickly.

The guy who gave it to me (Shaun Brewster for those who know him) calls it Achilles Panadaol and I swear it's perfectly named. Eliminates the pain really quickly and it's so simple.

In a nutshell: Up on your toes on the one leg that is sore and hold for 45 seconds. Rest 2 minutes. Do this 4 times and do 4 sets for the day.

It's unbelievable how good this is. There's a separate exercise that is about strengthening the area but in terms of pain release and getting the freedom back and you out running I've found this fantastic.
cheers Miner.
starting my first set right now. :thumbsu:

Sep 15, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Not much to 'em mate. Pretty scenery and usually some small undulations. :p

The really are great fun though and the few I've done I've just worn road shoes. My training in the build up has basically been no different to road events. Perhaps trying to sneak one hilly trail run in somewhere for the practice.

You could obviously get far more hardcore in to trail running than that but even as you and I run now, there's no reason you couldn't take one on. Perhaps look for something not overly technical or hilly. Just an actual trail (off road) run as a start point.
Yeah ive always been worried about what type shoes to wear more than anything. I know id probably get addicted to the trails pretty quick though they look like good fun.

Purrfect Pussies

Premiership Player
Mar 28, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
Yeah ive always been worried about what type shoes to wear more than anything. I know id probably get addicted to the trails pretty quick though they look like good fun.
They are very addictive but geez the vert can smash you. My calves have been bloody sore since Saturdays Grampians run. Bike & a few walks since is all I've managed lol. Better try & get the legs ticking over again in the morning.

Not sure I've had too many bigger frights in my life than when l almost stepped on a brown snake on Fridays run though. Serious ninja move to jump clear. Put the bloody wind up me & wasn't too keen on the return leg back 30 minutes later. Thank God it had shot through.

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
Kane Cornes just ran a 2:35 at the Melbourne marathon.

Ridiculously good time for a footballer. For just about anyone really. Looking at his upper body, he's probably still 10kg or so heavier than what he could be if he really wanted to be good.

Golden_6

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 15, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Well I ran my first half marathon yesterday reasonably successfully in a time of 1:34. The longest distance I ran previously was 15km and I spent 5 nights in Cairns over the weekend on a footy trip so my preparation was less than ideal. I was worried I wasn't going to do too well but I guess the waves of runners and the crowd sort of keep carrying you through the full distance.

Sep 15, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Well I ran my first half marathon yesterday reasonably successfully in a time of 1:34. The longest distance I ran previously was 15km and I spent 5 nights in Cairns over the weekend on a footy trip so my preparation was less than ideal. I was worried I wasn't going to do too well but I guess the waves of runners and the crowd sort of keep carrying you through the full distance.
Great time mate. Yeah the fellow runners and crowds on race day definitely push you along.

Purrfect Pussies

Premiership Player
Mar 28, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
Cracking run for your first HM & close to sub 90 mins which is a great goal.

Gee l bloody loved footy trips.

Dignan

All Australian
Apr 8, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
76ers
Been having some hip pain over the past few weeks, a sort of dull ache. Cut down my mileage and all that to try and give it some time to heal.

It's felt okay on some shorter runs since but as I've tried to ramp the distance back up the pain is still there.

Source of the pain seems to be around the top of the IT band area.

Any experience/advice with this? Will get a scan in the next few days.

TheWhiteRhino

Premiership Player
Apr 24, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney
I've been burnt a few times booking a race months in advance and then breaking down in training, so I've just signed up on a whim for the Run for the Young half marathon in Lillydale next weekend. I don't have a training program behind me but fit enough and I think I need a race to end a frustrating year on a high.

Anyway, it sounds like a nice scenic run and a small field, which I'm looking forward to as all the races I've done so far have been bigger events.

Has anyone run it before?

Jun 27, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur FC
I've been burnt a few times booking a race months in advance and then breaking down in training, so I've just signed up on a whim for the Run for the Young half marathon in Lillydale next weekend. I don't have a training program behind me but fit enough and I think I need a race to end a frustrating year on a high.

Anyway, it sounds like a nice scenic run and a small field, which I'm looking forward to as all the races I've done so far have been bigger events.

Has anyone run it before?
its a nice low key event run mostly on the Warburton rail trail.
the first 3 or 4k go up then its downhill to the turnaround. the gradient isnt major but its noticeable and will affect pace.
the marathon finishes with a lap around the lake, not sure about the half though.

its a hard pack gravel trail so road shoes are fine. volunteers are all kids from the youth organisation that puts on the event. its possible to get stuck at road crossings on the trail. the toilet situation was not good but they've moved the start slightly so this might have solved the problem.

i was gonna do it again this year but my achilles had other ideas.

Back