Running Thread - Join our Strava Club!

How did any one running today go?

I finished my half, that was the goal. Hardly trained in the last 6-7 weeks, did it in 2.20... Around halfway I had thoughts still that i could get close to 2 hours.. But the lack of conditioning and kms in the legs bit me hard from about the 15km mark.. That was my 3rd half and was more brutal on the legs than the others.. And given I had done less work it makes complete sense.
Achillies actually felt ok, a bit niggly first few ks but after that didn't really notice it.
Going to take it easy this week then start the rebuild.. Aiming for the full next year, but have learnt about building up and not cooking myself

Jun 27, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur FC
Kosgei to Kipchoge, "Hold my beer".

What a month to be an athletics fan. I'm running out of ways to express my amazement.
Not really sure what to make of it all except that if you're not running in VaporFlys then you're doing it wrong...then there's all the other stuff.

Sunday morning Melb Mara was terrific, weather perfect and the atmosphere great. Had the Next% on and wow they are amazing. My legs didn't feel anywhere near as trashed as normal. Had a 7 min PB at 2:51 which I'm stoked about.

First Melbourne half marathon and the legs just never really ticked over for me. Set a slower pace than I expected to (not helped at all by the logjam of runners and forced 500m walk at 2km on St Kilda road around the construction) but got a real buzz from running on the G. Needed it because the energy was well and truly flagging from 18km. Will hope to substantially improve next time.

Jun 27, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur FC
Sunday morning Melb Mara was terrific, weather perfect and the atmosphere great. Had the Next% on and wow they are amazing. My legs didn't feel anywhere near as trashed as normal. Had a 7 min PB at 2:51 which I'm stoked about.
congrats Jonnoo.
you've had a really good year. i seem to remember you running a fairly big pb in the half as well.

i'd be interested to know what an average week looks like for you. just a rough outline, nothing too specific.

Thanks PH, pretty stock standard sort of training, but I guess key for me this year has been consistency (after 18 months getting over a hammy injury). In the 8 week training block for Melb Mara I missed 1 day of running only, which is not usual. Typical week during this block was 100-110kms, with a quality session on Wed (intervals or fartlek), long runs on Sunday (28-36ks) and a tempo or progression run on another day, usually Friday depending on how I felt. Maybe a medium distance recovery type run on Thu. Of course not every week looked like this, but some variant of it, depending on life's priorities.

ctravm

Rookie
Aug 21, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
Just found this thread. Currently running about 50 - 60 kms pw. Not training for any runs but have a 130 km hike next month so just general fitness. Did a practice hike Monday, 16kms in 2h 37m with a 13 kg pack. Normally run in the 5.05 - 5.20 mpk range for 5 - 10kms. Best fun recent run was a 23 min 4km run with son and grandson. Looking to do a half marathon run sometime this month, hopefully back under 2 hours. Just have to see how the old injuries stand up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bigjobss

Cancelled
BeanCoiNFT Investor
Apr 7, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
Another nice morning for a run, a little bit of a wind Bayside but enjoyed a casual 21km, not as many running this morning, maybe a bit of post marathon fatigue?

Anyway question for the floor, at what distance do you guys start thinking about nutrition? I always run my 20-25km runs fasted, rarely run longer so never think about food. But I generally have a good feed the night before in anticipation and include a couple "guilt free" treats such as icecream or a triple Scotch or two knowing what's in store the next morning.

Another nice morning for a run, a little bit of a wind Bayside but enjoyed a casual 21km, not as many running this morning, maybe a bit of post marathon fatigue?

Anyway question for the floor, at what distance do you guys start thinking about nutrition? I always run my 20-25km runs fasted, rarely run longer so never think about food. But I generally have a good feed the night before in anticipation and include a couple "guilt free" treats such as icecream or a triple Scotch or two knowing what's in store the next morning.

If I'm doing am actual HM distance event I would take some gels (well I use Clif bloks but same same) during run but just a standard mid week pre-work session I would do fasted... even if it's like 25km including speed work.

I do virtually all training runs under 2.5 hours fasted. Gets your body used to burning fat and the gels also have more benefit during a race as you’re not used to them. Inside running podcast discusses this a bit in an older episode, I think around ep 83?

Jun 27, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur FC
like the other guys i'm doing most of my runs fasted.
i almost never bother with fueling on the run. the only exception to this is long, marathon goal specific workouts.

my main rule with nutrition is no dairy or spicy foods the day before a hard effort.

bullish23

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2002
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Arsenal
Late last year I ran 1:49 for half marathon. Went out to hard, really was hanging on by the end. Up to around 16km mark was avg 5:00min kms (1:45 pace) but obviously slowed down last 5km. Will do another half in a couple of weeks.

I really want to crack the 4hr marathon mark. Will do HK in Feb. I am quite skeptical i can get there based on my half time?

What are people’s thoughts?

Jun 27, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur FC
Late last year I ran 1:49 for half marathon. Went out to hard, really was hanging on by the end. Up to around 16km mark was avg 5:00min kms (1:45 pace) but obviously slowed down last 5km. Will do another half in a couple of weeks.

I really want to crack the 4hr marathon mark. Will do HK in Feb. I am quite skeptical i can get there based on my half time?

What are people’s thoughts?
so if you pace the half properly you finish pretty close to 1:45. that tells me speed wont be an issue, you just need to work on endurance.
so concentrate on running long (both distance and time on feet) and with 4 months training i reckon you go sub 4 comfortably...well maybe it wont be comfortable but you'll have a few minutes to spare.
i wouldn't worry too much about speed, that should happen naturally for you. run long, run easy, run often.

*disclaimer: the above is my best guess taking into account that i know almost nothing about you and exactly nothing about your training. i wouldn't be surprised if its wildly inaccurate.

Apologies for the delay....Melbourne ended up being 4:32 to bring me to 7 Melbourne finishes (3 away from Spartan Status), was with the 4 hour group until the 22km mark when I expected to drop off, although not to that extent. Still all systems go for South Africa next year and for Singapore in just over 6 weeks.

This is all going to see like stupidity to you gun experienced runners.... but have been reading up on and learning about the actual importance of proper paced runs, ie Easy runs, tempo etc etc...
probably not a coincidence that since i have started to do it and do walk/run stuff my achillies has felt a lot better and more importantly recovered a lot better... So attempting now to get back going and do the Bellarine Sunset Half in Feb from Port to St Leonards and back.

Goal being also the full mara next year in Melbourne, so apologies in advance as I potentially will be a pest question wise.

One question... shoes... do you all rotate or have multiple going at once and why? I have been tracking the distance mine do, just wondering the logic between having a few pairs at once, or do you have different ones for different things?

(also went to the running company and got assessed, need stability shows, have recovered much better since also getting some Kayanos.. but i do wish they were a touch lighter)

ctravm

Rookie
Aug 21, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
This is all going to see like stupidity to you gun experienced runners.... but have been reading up on and learning about the actual importance of proper paced runs, ie Easy runs, tempo etc etc...
probably not a coincidence that since i have started to do it and do walk/run stuff my achillies has felt a lot better and more importantly recovered a lot better... So attempting now to get back going and do the Bellarine Sunset Half in Feb from Port to St Leonards and back.

Goal being also the full mara next year in Melbourne, so apologies in advance as I potentially will be a pest question wise.

One question... shoes... do you all rotate or have multiple going at once and why? I have been tracking the distance mine do, just wondering the logic between having a few pairs at once, or do you have different ones for different things?

(also went to the running company and got assessed, need stability shows, have recovered much better since also getting some Kayanos.. but i do wish they were a touch lighter)

I swear by Hokas. Used to get Achilles pain after 8kms. Changed to Hokas and have since done a marathon. No Achilles issues. Currently run in Clifton 6s.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bigjobss

Cancelled
BeanCoiNFT Investor
Apr 7, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
I buy a few pairs of the same shoe at the same time, I really really like Skechers goruns, they're cheap, light, and work really well for my style of running.
Plus on sale as old stock you can get discontinued models for under $50 at DFO

I've had asics/Brooks/hokas/Nike's and swear by Skechers, they shouldn't be as good as they are.

Another shoe fanatic here, rotate about 5 for road and 5 for trail. Specific shoes for training mileage vs racing. Family is used to the boxes arriving in the mail, still get the eye roll though.

Back