Running Thread - Join our Strava Club!

Remove this Banner Ad

Mizuno wave inspire as my high mileage road training bricks. Nike Vaporfly Next% for road racing. For trail have the Hoka Speedgoats and Nike Pegasus Trail. Hard to split them, both excellent.

Hi guys. Have been looking for a running thread and finally found one! Apologies if I’m jumping into the wrong spot.

I’ve started training for the Melb Marathon (will be my 3rd attempt) and aiming for a sub 3:30. I’m also trying to beat 20 mins for a 5km as part of this training, I PB’d with a 20:33 last week so it’s within reach.

Anyone else got the Marathon as a target?

Welcome Look2Me4Guidance hope you go well in both those goals.

Currently trying to work back from injury so no immediate race goals for me.
Just read some of the previous pages and saw your troubles mate.

How are you getting on?

I sprained the ligaments in my ankle the Thursday before the Grand Final which meant I missed the Melbourne marathon last year. I was the fittest I’d ever been. It was so disappointing. Trying to use it as extra motivation for this year’s campaign.

Just read some of the previous pages and saw your troubles mate.

How are you getting on?

I sprained the ligaments in my ankle the Thursday before the Grand Final which meant I missed the Melbourne marathon last year. I was the fittest I’d ever been. It was so disappointing. Trying to use it as extra motivation for this year’s campaign.

Yeah battling, mentally as much as physically.... want to much to get back where I was or even better than a year or so ago, but the niggles persist and with them the doubts do too.

Have progressed just this past week to 6 x 3min walk/2 min jog... and the jogging actually feels better than walking. The knee gets some stiffness but overall at least is moving a bit more freely. I have this persistent feeling of imbalance or being twisted though on that same side. Get real aches through hip/glutes/hammy... all the way through ankle and foot. Have tried chiro recently but no luck. Hard to know what's referred/side affects of what I'm dealing with and what's a genuine separate issue. Doing a lot of work with physio on balance as well as S&C.

Wherever I get to, it won't be for lack of effort if I don't get to where I want. I really miss the group training and especially our weekly sessions where we really push ourselves. Don't miss the Sunday long slows so much lol.

Always crap to cop an injury so close to an event you've been prepping for so fingers crossed you get a good run in this year and nail your goals.

Hi guys. Have been looking for a running thread and finally found one! Apologies if I’m jumping into the wrong spot.

I’ve started training for the Melb Marathon (will be my 3rd attempt) and aiming for a sub 3:30. I’m also trying to beat 20 mins for a 5km as part of this training, I PB’d with a 20:33 last week so it’s within reach.

I do

Aiming for it, will be my first marathon... Just started my training block for it as well

That said I'm not confident at all it will go ahead

Unrelated... Got my new NB 1080v10 shoes today, testing them out with 40 mins in the morning.

Tried them on and walked around at home and fair to say if they feel half as good as they do doing that I'll be very happy.

Also they look bloody ace

Also recently started training for a marathon, even went down the path of a proper running coach so I have a good plan moving forward. My initial aim is also sub 3:30 but the ultimate is sub 3:00 which may be unrealistic but I'm looking forward to see how I progress.

Unrelated... Got my new NB 1080v10 shoes today, testing them out with 40 mins in the morning.

Tried them on and walked around at home and fair to say if they feel half as good as they do doing that I'll be very happy.

Also they look bloody ace

Also just recently bought these, tended to wear my Nike Vaporfly's but I needed more a volume shoe. So far since I bought them Saturday I've ran about 15km's in them and they feel great.

Also just recently bought these, tended to wear my Nike Vaporfly's but I needed more a volume shoe. So far since I bought them Saturday I've ran about 15km's in them and they feel great.
Yeah I got them with the long runs in mind, I've been wearing Nike Pegs for my long runs, which up to now the longest I've done is 23k (on Saturday just gone).. And i love them... But figured moving forward as i get further into the uncharted territory a shoe for the longer miles would be best.
Hopefully all good!

Sadly, my bank account is going to take a pounding shortly. The absolute worst thing I can do is view any of Seth De Moor, Jami's Reviews, Kofuzi or Believe in the Run shoe reviews.
Looking forward to adding these to the rotation when released in the next 2 weeks. 0430SauconyEndorphinPro006-scaled.jpg IMG_5246.jpeg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sadly, my bank account is going to take a pounding shortly. The absolute worst thing I can do is view any of Seth De Moor, Jami's Reviews, Kofuzi or Believe in the Run shoe reviews.
Looking forward to adding these to the rotation when released in the next 2 weeks.View attachment 885164View attachment 885165

Agreed, bank account getting a hiding at the moment.

Nike Alphafly's release soon to.

Question from me, anyone have a preference between the Apple Watch (series 5) and a Garmin for running?

I've had an Apple Watch since initial release and upgraded every year but I'm told there's no comparison. Someone save me the coin and tell me it's not worth the upgrade.

Upgraded recently from an Apple Watch to a Forerunner 645 Music (damn lockdown impulse purchase). Best thing I ever did.
Found that very slowly the battery life on my Apple wasn't lasting my runs, anything over an hour and it would cark it and that meant no Strava stats saved. This was despite having all apps closed bar Strava on it.
I can connect the Garmin up to my headphones so no need to take my phone on the run, it automatically syncs to Strava as well and go out for an hour or 2 and still come back with 94% battery life.

Last edited:
I do

Aiming for it, will be my first marathon... Just started my training block for it as well

That said I'm not confident at all it will go ahead
I entered on the first day, so I’m hoping maybe reduced numbers can still go ahead, but you’re right, a very real chance it doesn’t happen.
Would you still run one by yourself if it didn’t go ahead?

Also recently started training for a marathon, even went down the path of a proper running coach so I have a good plan moving forward. My initial aim is also sub 3:30 but the ultimate is sub 3:00 which may be unrealistic but I'm looking forward to see how I progress.
How did you find the running coach mate? How often do you meet with them?

I entered on the first day, so I’m hoping maybe reduced numbers can still go ahead, but you’re right, a very real chance it doesn’t happen.
Would you still run one by yourself if it didn’t go ahead?
Not sure... I don't think so, purely cos I don't think I want to do a virtual one for my first Marathon, just feel that would take abit away from it.. Who knows though

Question from me, anyone have a preference between the Apple Watch (series 5) and a Garmin for running?

I've had an Apple Watch since initial release and upgraded every year but I'm told there's no comparison. Someone save me the coin and tell me it's not worth the upgrade.

ive never had an Apple Watch but instead run a Garmin Vivoactive 3 Music. It’s pretty basic but excellent for fitness and a tracker rather than a smart watch. The best thing I find is the battery life, it’s sensational. I generally recharge once every 5 days depending on how much I’ve run. When running and playing Bluetooth music it’ll burn through about 1.5 to 2 percent of battery per km so it’s good for everything up to a marathon . Punched out a 10k today without music and it ran from 60% to 50%. There are huge varieties of faces to jazz it up a bit, as well as different setups for the display parameters when running. Some find the touch screen clunky and occasionally it flicks through a few pages in the shower but I’ve found it’s always worked fine .

Been struggling for motivation to run for a few years since quitting footy. Was down to barely getting 3km then mentally just quit.

Covid-19, working from home and my running mindset is back. No travel to work gives me an extra 2hrs a day (start earlier, finish earlier).

Did 50kms in April and then ran 150kms in May. Anything from 5 to 10kms each time. Was going to stop at the end of May but did 12kms today.

Have dropped my average time from under 5m a km to 5m10s to sometimes 5m30s a km depending on my mindsets on the day. Quite often though my last km is my fastest in my longer runs 8km+ (sub 5m)

Still far from my best in footy days when would do 5km in around 21m.

Sent from my CPH1879 using Tapatalk

How did you find the running coach mate? How often do you meet with them?

Only caught up for the first time last Thursday to put together a training plan but he definitely knows what he's doing. I think it'll be once a month catch up to see how I'm doing and he'll update my plan depending on progression.

I'll let you know my progress in a few months time.

ive never had an Apple Watch but instead run a Garmin Vivoactive 3 Music. It’s pretty basic but excellent for fitness and a tracker rather than a smart watch. The best thing I find is the battery life, it’s sensational. I generally recharge once every 5 days depending on how much I’ve run. When running and playing Bluetooth music it’ll burn through about 1.5 to 2 percent of battery per km so it’s good for everything up to a marathon . Punched out a 10k today without music and it ran from 60% to 50%. There are huge varieties of faces to jazz it up a bit, as well as different setups for the display parameters when running. Some find the touch screen clunky and occasionally it flicks through a few pages in the shower but I’ve found it’s always worked fine .
I've got the Vivoactive 3 as well, had it for almost 2 years though and my battery is s**t, i have to charge it every couple of days now. The features of Garmin Connect and the ability to set and program the workouts are mighty.. That said the touch screen shits me, running in the rain and with a long sleeve top is rubbish as it shifts things round on me.

Personally I'm after a forerunner 245 and hoping to get one in EOFY sales... I have done a bit of research and reckon it has all I need

I've got the Vivoactive 3 as well, had it for almost 2 years though and my battery is s**t, i have to charge it every couple of days now. The features of Garmin Connect and the ability to set and program the workouts are mighty.. That said the touch screen shits me, running in the rain and with a long sleeve top is rubbish as it shifts things round on me.

Personally I'm after a forerunner 245 and hoping to get one in EOFY sales... I have done a bit of research and reckon it has all I need
I’ve got a Forerunner 235 and it’s brilliant.

What do you guys listen to as you run? I used to put a playlist on, but recently I have gone without and leave the phone at home. Seem to be enjoying it more actually.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back