Running Thread - Join our Strava Club!

Remove this Banner Ad

This sucks mate. Maybe a break and focus on something else would be good.

But I hope at some stage you do get a good run at it and it goes your way.

Have you/do you do any strength & conditioning to supplement your running? Physio/pilates/activation? It's been the best thing I've ever done working with Dane Verwey (Run Culture).

Sounds like my last 8 years tbh

I went away, took up cycling, got addicted to that, and then realised after a year and a half it was taking up too much time. Back running now, but less then before, and without any pressure. Finding a new hobby for the mental break is paramount

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you/do you do any strength & conditioning to supplement your running? Physio/pilates/activation? It's been the best thing I've ever done working with Dane Verwey (Run Culture).

100% please ask Dane about his chip in on the par 3 at devil bend in 2005 and see what his reaction is ... he’ll lose his mind

100% please ask Dane about his chip in on the par 3 at devil bend in 2005 and see what his reaction is ... he’ll lose his mind

Haha I’m zooming him tomorrow. I’ll definitely try and remember too 🤞🏻

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

thanks man.
i feel better already. overnight i went from being an injured, frustrated runner to being a dude with a sore leg and the change of perspective is working wonders for me. i might get back into it eventually cause i love going out for a jog but for now i'm ok with this.

i do yoga regularly (when not injured). i'm convinced it makes my running worse but i really enjoy it so was happy with the trade off.
i've dabbled with strength/resistance training but never really done anything properly structured or consistently outside of rehabbing.

glad to hear that the physio is working out for you.
happy trails :)

If not just say you know a runner called wadistance ... that’ll have similar effect

Haha got a good laugh mate. He didn't elaborate on the chip in but had a good laugh that you mentioned it.

How are we going all?
Should have been doing my first marathon yesterday in Melbourne and feeling very sore and tired today :(

But not to be this year, it is probably for the best though as physically I'm as fit as I've ever been, but mentally I'm drained with work being flat out and our 16 month old basically never ever sleeping through the night.. So maybe it just wasn't meant to be this year.

Hopefully order is restored at some point in 2021 and I can cross this milestone off my bucket list!

My advice when you’re fit but not mentally into it ... try another type of training. Get a bike and do some long weekend rides, get a smart trainer and do some zwift in the garage, do 1-2 pool sessions a week for something different, get a TRX band and do a few strength sessions a week. Lower your kms for a while and work on other areas.

Failing that, get some new shoes and a new Garmin. Always works for me hahah

Bought a bike and have been riding 3-10km per day lately. Been tracking with Strava, and I quite like the app. $80 per year is a bit rich though for the subscription, so I've settled with free-tier for now. Is it worth it? Not really that interested in fitness features.

Bought a bike and have been riding 3-10km per day lately. Been tracking with Strava, and I quite like the app. $80 per year is a bit rich though for the subscription, so I've settled with free-tier for now. Is it worth it? Not really that interested in fitness features.

I subscribe - it all depends what you want it for. For me, seeing fitness metrics, improvement/decline over time etc is valuable, and I also want to support the app considering I use it a lot of times a week

If you get a Garmin watch (look at the Forerunner 45 perhaps) you’ll be able to track your rides with GPS (more accurate), but also the Garmin app is free and measures a lot of fitness metrics. I think that’s probably a better solution

Any tips for recovery?

I was doing very gentle daily jogs of 3-4km but finding it difficult to recover. I started focusing on running with the balls of my feet rather than the heels and my legs have gone on strike.

Would like to jog daily but it seems I need to build up to that point. I don't like taking a day or two off.

If you've just started running then taking days off might be the thing but you can supplement those days by walking or cycling or something else instead.

Perhaps even jog/walk for a while. 2min jog/3min for walk a week... then 3/2.... then 4/1 etc?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any tips for recovery?

I was doing very gentle daily jogs of 3-4km but finding it difficult to recover. I started focusing on running with the balls of my feet rather than the heels and my legs have gone on strike.

Would like to jog daily but it seems I need to build up to that point. I don't like taking a day or two off.
I had constant soreness for about six months through my calves and ankles. Got a lot smarter with foam rolling/spiky balls/massage guns. Every day I put in a half hour with the aforementioned three things on my legs, now I'm soreness-free every morning. Particularly the massage gun has been brilliant for me.

I will say I've been running every day for about 5 years so I've got a decent base behind me.

Still get general soreness in my knee's after a run, I've tried better cadence but I think it's just my legs still adapting and building to the amount of km's I'm doing per week. For about 4 months I've been doing between 40-60km a week and the knee soreness is still there.

Any tips?

I had constant soreness for about six months through my calves and ankles. Got a lot smarter with foam rolling/spiky balls/massage guns. Every day I put in a half hour with the aforementioned three things on my legs, now I'm soreness-free every morning. Particularly the massage gun has been brilliant for me.

I will say I've been running every day for about 5 years so I've got a decent base behind me.
My knees and ankles are fine. Calves are always tight but one of my thighs and my hips are still sore from three days ago. What massage gun did you buy?

My knees and ankles are fine. Calves are always tight but one of my thighs and my hips are still sore from three days ago. What massage gun did you buy?

I bought from here. Since buying I've been getting targeted ads from literally 10+ companies who are seemingly selling the exact same product at different pricepoints and with different marketing strategies, so it's seem a bit sketchy to me. The actual product works great though, so there's that.

Can’t believe that when it’s all said and done, my favourite shoes of 2020 will be a pair of ASICS Novablast. I feel dirty for loving ASICS but wow, they’re developing new technology at maglev pace. I got a sneak peek of the Nimbus Lite 2 and I dare say they’ll be my favourite shoe of 2021 too. What a weird year it’s been.

Question without notice, can many of you say that running has almost saved your life this year?
I honestly don't know what I would've done if I didn't have the opportunity to go out on my long runs this year to clear my head of all the stuff that's gone on in 2020.
Merry Christmas to all of you👍

Question without notice, can many of you say that running has almost saved your life this year?
I honestly don't know what I would've done if I didn't have the opportunity to go out on my long runs this year to clear my head of all the stuff that's gone on in 2020.
Merry Christmas to all of you👍
I think it's kept me sane, it's obviously been a bizarre world... The only certain thing has been that I've had my runs a few times and it's given me something to focus on, look forward too etc around all the crazy in the world

Remove this Banner Ad

Back