Running Thread - Join our Strava Club!

Melbourne Marathon stream is sad. :(
very little coverage of the actual racing in the mens events and even less for the women.
Oh well, at least it’s something I suppose.
Yeah I thought that.. Footage of the lead men was great, people interviewing others had NFI, wouldn't know women were in it until the finish though.

Hope all here that ran had a great day, I was very jealous but my decision to hold off till next year was right as I am absolutely cooked being end of year and wouldn't do myself justice for my first full

Dan Moody

That, was liquid football
Apr 3, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yeah I thought that.. Footage of the lead men was great, people interviewing others had NFI, wouldn't know women were in it until the finish though.

Hope all here that ran had a great day, I was very jealous but my decision to hold off till next year was right as I am absolutely cooked being end of year and wouldn't do myself justice for my first full

I am in so much pain, *ing arse cheeks are chafed and walking around like an 80year old, not a 50 year old. Ran all the way, didn't walk at all which I'm pretty happy with. That it for me now until the Sole Motive Sunset Series in Feb.

I am in so much pain, f*n arse cheeks are chafed and walking around like an 80year old, not a 50 year old. Ran all the way, didn't walk at all which I'm pretty happy with. That it for me now until the Sole Motive Sunset Series in Feb.

You just cured my FOMO :tearsofjoy:

Dan Moody

Apr 3, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood
Although in no way, shape or form do I deserve to wear a running shoe as good as this, I found it too hard to pass up when I saw it was discounted and had my size. These will only be worn for racing and live for eternity in my running bag so that my missus does not find out

Screenshot (20).png

Yep, recently ordered my first (likely only) pair of AlphaFlys. On sale for $259...I couldn't resist.

Add this to my VF2, 3 x Tempo next% and Saucony Endorphin Pros and I'm covered for faster shoes for a while.... well I mean with my 25-30 odd pairs I'm basically covered for everything for a while lol.

I may have to commit to a 2022 mara now to justify this purchase :tearsofjoy:

1640816744160.png

really keen to hear how the Alphas go.... but also not at all keen as i don't want the temptation!

Resisted temptation for ages to test my Rebelv2s... now on xmas break so took them out for 30 with some 1min efforts the other day... enjoyed them, i had heard about bounce but i didn't find them too bouncy, but i dare say Invincibles have ruined "bounce" for me... they do have some nice bounce though, super lightweight... basically i didn't really notice or feel anything, but that is good I think.. they just did what I needed with minimum fuss really.
The colourway is a bit of a head * though, with the angles and stripes almost that point in... if you look at your feet it does your head in and makes you feel like you are super pigeon toed, but i wonder if that is deliberate, stops you looking at your feet and maybe subconsiously you focus on your form? maybe also I am just overthinking things

I think some shoes are just ugly :laughv1: There's so much pressure I imagine on shoe manufacturers to keep coming up with different looks/colourways.

I'll try to keep the Alphas boxed for a while (aside from maybe one test run lol). I'm thinking maybe Adelaide mara August 2022 so maybe the training block for that will be when they start hitting circulation. I expect they might take a while before they arrive anyway.

Dan Moody

Apr 3, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yep, recently ordered my first (likely only) pair of AlphaFlys. On sale for $259...I couldn't resist.

Add this to my VF2, 3 x Tempo next% and Saucony Endorphin Pros and I'm covered for faster shoes for a while.... well I mean with my 25-30 odd pairs I'm basically covered for everything for a while lol.

I may have to commit to a 2022 mara now to justify this purchase :tearsofjoy:

View attachment 1303345
Lol, wtf? How'd you get them for $259? Was this a flash sale?
I still haven't received mine yet, got my finger now hovering over the checkout button for the Saucony Endorphin Pro +. A very good looking shoe

Dan Moody

Apr 3, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood
Lol, wtf? How'd you get them for $259? Was this a flash sale?
I still haven't received mine yet, got my finger now hovering over the checkout button for the Saucony Endorphin Pro +. A very good looking shoe
Update.
Just went on the Nike site and saw the colourway I purchased now at $259, $40 cheaper than what I got it for.
Ah well, what can you do 🤣

Update.
Just went on the Nike site and saw the colourway I purchased now at $259, $40 cheaper than what I got it for.
Ah well, what can you do 🤣

I did see some on sale at Up there Athletics for $222 I think but they didn't have my size... waaahhhhhhh.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
FYI AlphaFly still on sale.

I don't need them. I've been telling myself for weeks I don't need them. But I want them. $259.99 in both Orange and Turquoise.

FYI AlphaFly still on sale.

I don't need them. I've been telling myself for weeks I don't need them. But I want them. $259.99 in both Orange and Turquoise.

Lol... How are they MinerBoy
I also don't at all need them, and I've placed a ban on myself from buying anymore running s**t for a few months...

Buuuuutttt....

Dan Moody

Apr 3, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood
Went for my first run in them tonight, just a 10k recovery run. Very, very light shoe and extremely bouncy. Definitely a race day shoe, something that you'll feel the benefits of during a fast run. Fantastic straight out of the box and the sizing is true.
I'll definitely be saving them for racing only

Lol... How are they MinerBoy
I also don't at all need them, and I've placed a ban on myself from buying anymore running sh*t for a few months...

Buuuuutttt....
I've only worn the once for a fairly short jog. Very, very light and bouncy. Kind of hard to get on but super comfy once you do. Did have a bit of that tempo slappy sound but I can see why they are rated so well.

Look forward to taking out for a bit longer.

I've only worn the once for a fairly short jog. Very, very light and bouncy. Kind of hard to get on but super comfy once you do. Did have a bit of that tempo slappy sound but I can see why they are rated so well.

Look forward to taking out for a bit longer.
I'm a bit heel strikery so I don't think they'd be my friend, that said I love my Tempos and have issue with them at all, and to be honest I've got a pair with almost 600k on them and the hell is hardly worn, so maybe I'm not as bad as I think

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Strava has been a godsend for getting back into running.

When I was playing hockey I was always pretty fit and ran for leisure, but the Strava app has made it that little bit more enjoyable and keeps me wanting to beat previous PB’s

Since October I’ve got from running 4:40/km over 6 kms to a tick over 4:10/km.

Always nice having a yardstick for what your mates are hitting too.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
So disappointed to miss out on Melbourne through work commitments and injury (which basically ended my Gold Coast 50 campaign at about 15km, overstrode on a downhill section and aggravaged it), and had to carefully negotiate Cadbury Marathon a couple of weeks ago in a pedestrian 5:26 beating about 5 runners home, but at least the groin felt OK so that's a good starting point. Now the challenge is to get the ks in the legs leading up to Port Macquarie, where the course has changed this year (2 laps for the half, 1 lap for the 10km, different start line for the half but thankfully the same finish line for treble runners like me), then onto Wang and Canberra (no 50km this year, just a 42.195, feels as easy as it sounds) which is a goal race particularly now I've indicated I'm entering Comrades this year (and the return requirements have been eased into Qld to make it much easier). Just what the Q-Time is going to be and when I have to hit that time by I'll find out in a week or so.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Update:

Vaporfly is on sale;

A few of the Invincible colourways are on sale;

And a new Alphafly colourway has been added to the sale (I think);

Aug 9, 2021
AFL Club
Essendon
Anyone else here an intermittent running obsessive?
I love running but not an everyday for life kind of thing, I tend to get bored then get obsessed within hiking, cycling, yoga or weights.

I will typically get obsessed with running for 6-8 months at a time every 1-2years. At the end of which I am running 60-70km a week including my Saturday morning 21-25km, which whilst not ground shattering I get my fitness to a lesiurely sub 1:35 half marathon - then I just quit for 6-12 months cold turkey, it just becomes boring, the body is willing but the mind is like "meh".

Harro59

Club Legend
May 14, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
So just a minor setback, I was looking at getting myself back to where I'd like to be in terms of running PBs over a 5km. However the new year started ok until I got Covid.

Has anyone here had Covid and gotten back into a running routine?

I do feel very sluggish and the fatigue is a problem.

Any help would be good.

Mar 16, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
I had covid over new years and ran an ultra marathon two weeks later. Since then, Ive run once in 2 weeks and have been fatigued as hell.

Not sure if it's the covid, recovering from the ultra, the melbourne heat, or a combination of everything.

Going to get back into it this week, slow and steady.

Harro59

Club Legend
May 14, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I had covid over new years and ran an ultra marathon two weeks later. Since then, Ive run once in 2 weeks and have been fatigued as hell.

Not sure if it's the covid, recovering from the ultra, the melbourne heat, or a combination of everything.

Going to get back into it this week, slow and steady.
How have you been going this week with your running?

I have done a few more slow jogs and that seems to be enough for the time being.

This week though I am going to see if I can add a little bit more to the week, maybe get some quicker sessions in if possible.

Just seems like it takes a bit to get back to any sort of normal after Covid. Heart is all over the place and the breathing goes a bit odd as well.

Interesting to hear how you are going with it.

Back