Running Thread - Join our Strava Club!

Remove this Banner Ad

Look, I don’t wana brag… but these turned up today…

79d9ace5d9ee0e407a6d3ef2cb573dc0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well Comrades is on the agenda for me, but those who want to run it may be better off waiting for 2023 given the entry process and price. Whilst it's zero cost entry for me having deferred from the 2020 event, there's only 15000 as opposed to the usual 25000 spots available and those who deferred have first crack at those spots. Only if less than 15000 enter will entries open for others, and based on exchange rates it will cost an Australian upwards of $410 to enter (I know there are locals who aren't happy about vax requirements let alone a R1200 entry fee which takes up much of a pay packet). Have to qualify by July 12 so hoping one of Wangaratta or Canberra does the job.

Are you hoping for someone here to talk you out of it? I think we’re all a bad influence 😂
No not at all, I'm all hear for the enabling 😂😂

I have used the reviews to compare Vapors or Alpha... I reckon Vapors will suit me more, and have a heel drop that will work for me better... I'm probably wasted on them, but I'm probably also their absolute target market as the wannabe decent runner haha

Pink version on special for $259 on Nike website.
I'm now almost certain to get the Adidas Takumi Sen 8
God damn it 😂

Anyone have any thoughts on v1 vs v2?
I actually really like the white blue and yellow ones as well... Hmmm

God damn it

Anyone have any thoughts on v1 vs v2?
I actually really like the white blue and yellow ones as well... Hmmm

V1 is made in China, v2 in Vietnam. The foam is definitely softer in v1. Not even trying to joke around. If you can get a v1, get it.

Beware. Takumis are really underwhelming, and only good for the track/short road races

The reviews I read had them as a nice training shoe - similar to say the Endorphin Speeds - but that people would rather race in something else.

The Adios Pro 2 is the one I'd probably want to compare to the VF / AF options if I could try them all on

I've been "trying" to lay low on the purchases for a while since I added the AFs. I've got about 26 current pairs in the rotation so it's hit a point I need to start churning through a few a bit more.

Anyway lol..... yesterday I finally ordered some NB1080 v11s. I love my v10 and I've logged between 500-600km in them which is one of my more heavily used pairs. Figure if I finally commit to a mara this year that a trusted shoe to get through some of those long miles will be needed. On sale at $172 down from about $250 I think and then with a 15% discount code figured at $150 it was about time.

273874768_528052818682238_177791015395529970_n.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've been "trying" to lay low on the purchases for a while since I added the AFs. I've got about 26 current pairs in the rotation so it's hit a point I need to start churning through a few a bit more.

Anyway lol..... yesterday I finally ordered some NB1080 v11s. I love my v10 and I've logged between 500-600km in them which is one of my more heavily used pairs. Figure if I finally commit to a mara this year that a trusted shoe to get through some of those long miles will be needed. On sale at $172 down from about $250 I think and then with a 15% discount code figured at $150 it was about time.

273874768_528052818682238_177791015395529970_n.png
I have too many shoes, so are laying low to churn through them

also look at the new shoes i just ordered hahahahaha

The reviews I read had them as a nice training shoe - similar to say the Endorphin Speeds - but that people would rather race in something else.

The Adios Pro 2 is the one I'd probably want to compare to the VF / AF options if I could try them all on

This. Both Kofuzi and Believe In The Run have given the Sen 8's great reviews.
I've got plenty of long run racers and trainers, I compete in a lot of 5k, 10k & 1/2 marathons. I've been using the Puma Deviate Nitro's for the shorter runs but I also like them for some of the longer runs occasionally.
I've also got some Boston 10's that took a few months to wear in but since then I've had some cracking training runs. The Sen 8 is a flat version that would suit the majority of races I compete in

This. Both Kofuzi and Believe In The Run have given the Sen 8's great reviews.
I've got plenty of long run racers and trainers, I compete in a lot of 5k, 10k & 1/2 marathons. I've been using the Puma Deviate Nitro's for the shorter runs but I also like them for some of the longer runs occasionally.
I've also got some Boston 10's that took a few months to wear in but since then I've had some cracking training runs. The Sen 8 is a flat version that would suit the majority of races I compete in

The Streakfly is out soon isn’t it?

I’m very much tossing up about buying one of the Vaporfly or Alphafly.

I run in the Endorphin Speeds and love them, found the Rebels upset my tib post tendon due to being too unstable though. Invicibles are fine though, so I figure Zoom X works for me.

Any thoughts for which would be a better option? Or better to go for something else?

I’m very much tossing up about buying one of the Vaporfly or Alphafly.

I run in the Endorphin Speeds and love them, found the Rebels upset my tib post tendon due to being too unstable though. Invicibles are fine though, so I figure Zoom X works for me.

Any thoughts for which would be a better option? Or better to go for something else?

I've got the Alphas.
For racing in straight lines or with minimal tight turns, fantastic. Anything under 10k won't give you much payoff, they come into their own when you've got a fast pace going or the last 5-10k's of a marathon.
I'd go the VF but I've spent my yearly allocation on running shoes already

Hey guys, I am after some advice for buying a new pair of runners. I am running over 10kms most runs and I am aiming to run a marathon by the end of the year. I don't mind how expensive they are as I have a voucher to the running company. I have heard good things about the Nike Alphafly Next%?
What shoe would you currently recommend?

Thanks!

Hey guys, I am after some advice for buying a new pair of runners. I am running over 10kms most runs and I am aiming to run a marathon by the end of the year. I don't mind how expensive they are as I have a voucher to the running company. I have heard good things about the Nike Alphafly Next%?
What shoe would you currently recommend?

Thanks!

Without knowing anything about your running experience I've assumed it was limited, so some of this might be pretty self explanatory if you've run a fair bit previously.

Best option is to take a look at the reddit link below, should cover most of your basic questions and give you a sense of what's out there. If you really want to learn more, then check out the Doctors of Running link also below for more on stability shoes. After having read up on the various shoes, make an appointment at one of The Running Company stores and they'll put you on a treadmill to look at how you're running and recommend some options for you to try, I've always found having a sense of what's out there makes it a bit easier to dial in the guys in-store for what shoes to try you in.

A few things I suggest you keep in mind when looking at shoes;
  • The most reliable (this has literally been researched) predictor of whether a shoe is going to work for you is how comfortable it is. If you put a shoe on and it's not comfortable, it's probably not the shoe for you. I emphasise you, because what Kipchoge trains in might be nice to know, but his running mechanics are his own, so what works for him won't necessary work for another elite runner, or for you.
  • You don't need something with a carbon plate in it like (e.g. the AlphaFly, Vaporfly, Adios Pro, Endorphin Pro etc..) for training, even the most elite of runners do very little mileage in carbon plated shoes, they're a nice thing to have for race-day, but worry about that closer to the event.
  • A lot of people don't need a stability shoe, and 'stability' has come a long, long way in how it's implemented. I over-pronate, but I can run a lot of mileage in something like the Nike Invincible that is 'unstable' because it's got a really nice wide platform, and I've done work to strengthen my lower legs. The Doctors of Running article below gives a really great explanation of how it all works.
  • On the above; don't neglect strength work for the lower leg to set you up to get through the mileage you'll be doing by the end of your build-up without shin splits, tendon or calf injuries, or plantar fasciitis.
  • Shoe technology has leapt forward dramatically over the past 3 years, don't sleep on having a couple of shoes that you rotate around to get the benefits of the different shoe technology and foams available.

On the AlphaFly; it's an amazing racing shoe (if it works for you), there's a reason so many elite runners wear them. But the first thing you need to do is get the training before worrying about a racing shoe. If you're 6 weeks out, feeling good, and have done the work, treat yo' self to an AlphaFly if you want, we'll all be behind you.

For marathon training, this section of the reddit link is the category you'd be looking at; shoes suitable for long distance and high mileage. Some of them are very different to others, a shoe like the Glycerin, 1080 or Triumph are very much a traditional high mileage, nicely cushioned running shoe, whereas the Boston 10, Invincible and Shift are really different to the first lot, and to each other, but are still great shoes if they work for you.

Q8: I am a new runner who is looking to do medium - long runs. Which shoes would you recommend?

A: Possible medium-long run trainers:

Adidas

• Boston 10
Asics

• Glideride 2
  • Novablast 2
Brooks

• Glycerin 19
Hoka One One

• Rincon 2/3
New Balance

• 1080 v11
  • Fresh Foam More V3
Nike

• Invincible Run FK
  • Infinity Run FK2
  • Miler 2
Puma

• Velocity Nitro
  • Magnify Nitro
Reebok

• Floatride Symmetros
Saucony

• Axon
  • Triumph 19
  • Shift 2
Skechers

• Go Run Ride 9
  • Go Run Maxroad 5

I've got the Alphas.
For racing in straight lines or with minimal tight turns, fantastic. Anything under 10k won't give you much payoff, they come into their own when you've got a fast pace going or the last 5-10k's of a marathon.
I'd go the VF but I've spent my yearly allocation on running shoes already

Update:

I ordered the AlphaFly, they turned up yesterday.

I also ordered the Takumi Sen 8. Because why not?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back