Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 19, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Wallabies
Good god, cannot wait for this game.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/r...ruden-to-step-up/story-e6frf4zl-1226162734267

Colin Slade and Mils Muliaina both out for the rest of the RWC. Cruden will surely play 10 now and you would think Israel Dagg would come in for Muliaina. Not a bad result under the circumstances for the AB's really. Dagg cut up the pool stages.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/r...inst-new-zealand/story-e6frf4zl-1226162689381

Waiting on results for Patty McCabe, Sekope Kepu and Kurtley Beale. Kepu and KB would be massive blows. Should all 3 be ruled out, one would think Barnes, Slipper would come in for the first two and there are many possible permutations for what to do without KB. JOC could shift to full back, Fainga'a to centre and AAC out to wing. Or Horne to 13 with AAC to wing. Who knows.

Would Horne make it into a full stenght starting XV? I seriously rate this guy. Cruden will be the starting fly half for NZ, is he international standard? havent seen much of him.

I think had Horne played a full S15 season this year for the Tahs, he'd be the starting 13 right now. Seriously talented and capable but just can't stay fit and who knows if he will ever get his body to a point where he can take the rigours of professional rugby every week.

Cruden and Slade are both international standards IMO, just they aren't Dan Carter. If Cruden plays within his abilities and gets Nonu as much ball as possible for him to either work with or create for those outside him (Nonu's ball playing ability is greatly improved relative to say 3 years ago), the AB's are still a huge chance to win the comp in my mind.

Losing KB would be a huge loss. Definitely been our best back this tournament in my mind (in front of Genia). Very few international defences have proved to be able to shut him out for 80 mins. He is just to good, explosive and quick on his feet.

Deans says Quade might move to 15 with Barnes in at 10. Also said McCabe may well play.

I don't think it does come down to the 10's to be honest. I don't expect Quade to be able to be a dominant player against the Kiwis. He has never done it before and they defend him really well. Not expecting anything different this week. I think he may well play a good game, just not a dominant cracker of a game that we see from him every now and then.

I think with Muliaina, Carter out, the Wallabies have the better backline but the pack is in favour of the AB's. If we can really aim up and contest well with them in the lineout/scrum and at the breakdown and make the possession at least 50-50, I think we can do it.

What's the weather supposed to be like?

I don't think it does come down to the 10's to be honest.
It will come down to the forward pack, as usual for our games against decent teams.

Realistically we have enough backline quality to beat anyone even if they're mostly pretty ordinary. But if we get dominated at the ruck and the breakdown, it doesn't matter if all the backs play the matches of their career.

If we can go toe to toe with the ABs pack for 80 minutes then I don't care how crap Cooper plays - with Carter et al out, I'd have us short odds to win.

The problem is, that's a massive if. I'll believe it when I see it.

Not sure how I feel about Cooper being placed at number 15. He has been playing terribly lately and maybe the change of position would jolt him into performing but is he really the right person to be the last line of defence. Apart from his one try saving tackle he was absolutely terrible defensively against SA. I lost count of the amount of times he ran up out the line only to be shrugged off.

Why two threads for the semi-finals? Maybe the other should be called

RWC - Semi Final - Red Dragons vs Les Bleus

Good chance this will overshadow the final, given that the winner of this one really should win the big match next weekend.

I don't think that's necessarily true. Wales have looked better than anyone else in the last couple of weeks and are improving every match. And if France turn up they can beat anyone. On the other hand the Wallabies have been far from convincing and the All Blacks keep losing key players.

It might overshadow the final if the All Blacks lose though. The worst thing for the losers is they have to play in the 3rd place playoff!

I don't think that's necessarily true. Wales have looked better than anyone else in the last couple of weeks and are improving every match. And if France turn up they can beat anyone. On the other hand the Wallabies have been far from convincing and the All Blacks keep losing key players.

It might overshadow the final if the All Blacks lose though. The worst thing for the losers is they have to play in the 3rd place playoff!
Usually the best game of the tournament, two teams just go on the attack for good footy.

I do agree about Wales, been enjoyable. Got on an All Blacks/Welsh final @6.50 before the quarters.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

KB in doubt still, McCaw apparently iffy.

We need Beale, no way will McCaw miss...

McCaw playing injured for 60-70 minutes is better than having Matt Todd or Daniel Braid playing at 100% for 80 minutes imo. McCaw is a gun, but you could tell he wasn't himself against Argentina.

Kurtley Beale/Adam Ashley-Cooper, James O'Connor, Ashley-Cooper/Anthony Faingaa, Pat McCabe, Digby Ioane, Quade Cooper, Will Genia, Radike Samo, David Pocock, Rocky Elsom, James Horwill (capt), Dan Vickerman, Ben Alexander, Stephen Moore, Sekope Kepu. Res: Tatafu Polota-Nau, James Slipper, Rob Simmons, Ben McCalman, Luke Burgess, Berrick Barnes, Faingaa/Rob Horne.

Team named. KB bracketed and will be given until kick off to prove his fitness. AAC will shift to 15 and Fainga'a will play at 13 if Kurtley is unable to go.

Simmons onto the bench for Sharpe due to better mobility according to Deans.

I guess Dean's is firmly set on McCabe at 12 and his shoulder must have improved pretty quickly. I'm really not going to be confident with Beale missing, we'll be relying on Quade to have a good game to spark anything in attack. Hopefully O'Connor roves around a bit.

No rain forecast for Sunday at the moment, so hopefully that remains the same.

Israel Dagg, Cory Jane, Conrad Smith, Ma'a Nonu, Richard Kahui, Aaron Cruden, Piri Weepu; Kieran Read, Richie McCaw (capt), Jerome Kaino, Brad Thorn, Sam Whitelock, Owen Franks, Keven Mealamu, Tony Woodcock.Replacements: Andrew Hore, Ben Franks, Ali Williams, Victor Vito, Andy Ellis, Stephen Donald, Sonny Bill Williams.

Dagg in for Muliaina
Kahui in for SBW (who goes to the bench)

Donald in for Slade

Can feel the pressure building for this one. Good to hear lots of talk around the traps too.

Whoever wins tomorrow night will win it all IMO, so that just adds to the pressure of the night.

Oh and anyone who even thinks they can come in here and start making jokes if the All Blacks lose, think again. :)

How come SBW is only good enough for the bench?

I think the AB's coaches like the known quantity that Kahui brings in such a big game rather than the at times brilliant yet at times scratchy performance they might get from SBW. Bringing him off the bench when players are tired at the end of the game also would be alluring for Henry I'm sure.

And there was no way Nonu or Smith would be jettisoned for SBW in the centres.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back