State Focus SA Juniors Watch 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Under 18’s and under 16’s kicking off today.

West Adelaide’s Barnett putting on a ruck Masterclass. Scully kicked a wonder left foot goal just now and looks like a giant. Last I heard he was around 203/205cm (can’t remember exactly) and was told he was still growing so wonder what his current measurements are?

Munkara out on the field, 3 goals so far in the fourth.

Kobe Ryan is a machine.

Phoenix Foster looked good for Norwood, 193cm key forward kicking 4.2. Looks to move well at ground level and marks at the highest point in the air, gets up the ground aswell which I like to see from junior key position types.
Had a good College season for Immanuel College lin 2021, originally from over on the Mid West Coast/Eyre Peninsula (Cummins)..
Coached by former Crows Captain and Premiership player Mark Bickley at Immanuel College.

5c5a745a3c603603104b4d82c4fd8c3a

Wasn’t able to catch west v norwood on Saturday, but just watched it on sanfl, the midfield duo of Barnett and Ryan truly made that game their own. If I’m not wrong they both have finished school now so they should be a great partnership all year in the 18s if they don’t gain senior selection
Barnett needs to compose a little at times but Ryan is afl ready imo

Wasn’t able to catch west v norwood on Saturday, but just watched it on sanfl, the midfield duo of Barnett and Ryan truly made that game their own. If I’m not wrong they both have finished school now so they should be a great partnership all year in the 18s if they don’t gain senior selection
Barnett needs to compose a little at times but Ryan is afl ready imo
Not physically for serious AFL midfield minutes just yet but Kobe's a beauty that's for sure.

Not physically for serious AFL midfield minutes just yet but Kobe's a beauty that's for sure.

I agree with this and doesn't have the size of a Tom Powell although not that much difference but there ability to just continually be where the ball is is uncanny. I believe the wanky modern term is "running patterns" but in the old school parlance Kobe just runs where the ball is. So so little wasted running. Reading the game is definitely his 1 wood.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ryan surely plays league for Westies predominantly this year, his smarts and ability to read the play are far above Under 18 level and Westies don't exactly have the best midfield in the comp...

Ryan surely plays league for Westies predominantly this year, his smarts and ability to read the play are far above Under 18 level and Westies don't exactly have the best midfield in the comp...
He played in a league practise match and looked very comfortable at the level, he really should play mostly league

players im keen to see more of

WWT:
Adam D'Aloia - was one of SA's best in the u17s and u19s last year
Matthaes Phillipou - WWT - played well in the u17 champs and has played some good games in the sanfl u18 kicking 25 goals in 17 games last year
West Adel:
Harry Lemmey - key forward who had an ok u17 champs and played well in the u19's champs last year, kicked 17 goals in 7 games in the u18's and had a couple games in the seniors last year kicking a goal in each game, looked to fit in with the senior team in the pre-season game i saw
Kobe Ryan - small energetic midfielder, he is an accumulator in the style of Parish at Essendon without his physique and strength, was ok in the pre-season game i saw, but nothing to change my mind on where i rate him
Harry Barnett - inconsistent performances, but he is a good size and has potential, was beaten by Alex Condon who looked a quality prospect but chose Basketball over footy, losing to him is no shame, but shows he has a bit to prove imo
Anthony Munkara(Allies) - playing for West Adel this year from the NT, talented forward who moves very quickly and with great agility
North Adel:
Isaac Keeler - kpf/ruck, has a lot of raw ability, high ceiling with a low floor, Adel NGA
Norwood:
Max Michaelanny - 190cm def/kpd plays kpd even though he isnt the prototype 195cm+, was very impressive in sanfl/u17's was a bit more hit and miss at u19's Adel F/S prospect
Tyson Walls - played well in u17's and for Allies in the covid affected game u19s, bit short, but has speed and some AFL qualities potentially
South Adel:
Jaiden Magor - popped up on my radar years ago, but was inconsistent last year and im curious as to how he plays in his draft year
Will Verall - he looks like an ok ruck, behind Barnett at this stage it looks like
Koby Cockshell - very athletic and fast 190cm player, but can go in and out of games, when he is on he looks good, but too many games where he isnt on
Central Dist:
Brodie Tuck - i remember him being a good player for sa u17's, flanker with good aerial abilities
Austin McDonald - a solid player for SA another that i noticed in the SA trials years ago but hasnt really taken his chances last year
Sturt:
Nick Sadler - quick and skillful player, some of his good work goes un-noticed, but he seems a talent
Glenlg:
Jakob Ryan - hbf who has some potential

Last edited:
Another Smokey to look for is Jackson Bishop from Sturt, he has some serious hops and can certainly see a club perhaps turn him into an intercept defender in the Jermey Howe mould. Currently playing as a very undersized key forward/ruck.

Another Smokey to look for is Jackson Bishop from Sturt, he has some serious hops and can certainly see a club perhaps turn him into an intercept defender in the Jermey Howe mould. Currently playing as a very undersized key forward/ruck.
Yeah I noticed bishop on the weekend. Thought he might be one of Matty bishops kids but maybe not as I haven’t yet seen his name on a port f/s list.

Yeah I noticed bishop on the weekend. Thought he might be one of Matty bishops kids but maybe not as I haven’t yet seen his name on a port f/s list.

This wouldn’t be possible as Matthew and his family have been long settled in Matthew’s native Mooroolbark.

Strongly built West Adelaide Captain midfielder Tyson Coe very impressive last week and super impressive today.

Big Panthers Ruck/Forward Will Verrall has trimmed his flowing locks and looks to have fully recovered from his pre-season groin issues if his 1st quarter efforts are any sign of what's to come in 2022. Looks to have improved his foot skills over the pre-season. Mid/Forward Jaiden Magor another Panther that looks to have fully recovered from his pre-season foot issues and starting to get into the game.

At a glance it appears to be a stacked Sa team if they can play champs

What’s a possible champs team look like?

Magor Lemmey Scully
Blacker keeler phillipou
Hansen D’Aloia Duncan
R.Verrall Marshall ?
J. Ryan B. Tuck Michealnanny
Barnett k.Ryan walls

Bench / rotations - barkla sadler bishop w.verrall Cockshell a.MacDonald t.rahui

A few positions and players I’m not across. Would want to play magor in the middle but named him forward.

The forward line is too tall so would have to rotate them a bit. Ignored underagers for now. I’m sure I missed a few players and / or others will crop up as the year goes on.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back