Coach Sack Clarksons!

Remove this Banner Ad

The first two rounds I was very excited.

A lot of run and dash, youth being played (Bergman/Goater over Hall for example) and with supposed key players still returning.

The last 4 rounds have been utter rubbish. A bunch of older recycled types, playing with long term proven failures from our own stock.

This selection policy, various parts of the gameplan and not just appalling skill level, but consistently selecting guys with an appalling skill level needs to bring Clarko into question.

Scoring 54 points and losing to Gold Coast by 41 after the horrific display last week is not acceptable and something needs to change quick.
I am serious.
We should question anything that is leading us to results like the past 2 weeks.
Not at all suggesting Clarko as coach should be in any doubt, but selections, the gameplan and performance should be open for serious analysis.

Well done Nate7 you've landed one here.

I kind of feel bad for the Suns, people take losing to them as the most egregious personal insult a fan can ever experience, and an indication it is officially membership microwaving and chicken manure dumping time. Just a reminder they beat the reigning premiers a few weeks ago.

Did we hire the wrong coach?

When the right coach was sitting there all this time after his departure from Freo. 🎣

When the right coach was sitting there all this time after his departure from Freo. 🎣
Do you honestly think that the Saints and North have the same list balance as of today?

Rebuild 5.0 coming up
To rebuild you'd have to have the foundations of something first. Sadly it's been a barren quarter acre covered in weeds and those stakes with the cloth tied to them for some time.

That said I still head in every week with the enthusiasm of a Porter Davis depositor.

I need help.

What does Ross the Boss have that Clarkson doesn’t?

Blokes that provide consistent work rate and effort. This allows his structures to stand up.

That right there is the single biggest difference between the two coaches.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clarksons so is 6 games into what will take 60-80 games to implement before Finals are a possibility

I would imagine this year is about resetting culture and supporting the 30-60 game bracket and giving exposure to games during this year

What will be alarming is on Anzac Day 2025 we are back here lamenting 12 spuds getting games ahead of the 30-60 bracket

Now I’m not a potato farmer so I won’t identify the spuds but it’s the familiar names that are floating around in Autopsy threads

Clarko is smart - wins first two games with Bergman and goater in side and thinks to himself we’re suppose to be tanking.
Drops above players and brings in deadwood to sabotage side - plan is back on track
Could be something to this especially considering strategic long term rebuild, look after the young guys tarin them hard in the game plan and give them a taste every few rounds, who knows maybe our only game at the G this year might be cause to give as many young guys a run as possible?

Could be something to this especially considering strategic long term rebuild, look after the young guys tarin them hard in the game plan and give them a taste every few rounds, who knows maybe our only game at the G this year might be cause to give as many young guys a run as possible?

Nourishments?

bbq nourish GIF by PBS Digital Studios

Blokes that provide consistent work rate and effort. This allows his structures to stand up.

Saints are off the bottom and even bombers are too. Collingwood came from bottom all the way to leaving nothing on the field

Last 2 weeks shows our standards are easily going to go back to “oh well I cbf competing today” with zero consequences. Who’s being dropped or punished for poor performances and efforts?

I thought we had an unforgiving and ruthless coach in Clarko. Liked seeing Goldy dropped for Xerri and even Cunners being subbed for his performance. But when we going to see it holistically

Last edited:

I don't think it's that simple. The Roos/Lyon coaching model is in my view the best the game has seen. Roos took a club that hadn't won a flag since the 1930s, had relocated to Sydney and was largely irrelevant and created a culture of sustained success that remains 20 years later. He then set a club that hadn't won a flag since the 1960s and had just experienced the worst decade you could imagine on the path to an eventual premiership. Lyon coached St. Kilda who have won 1 flag in 150 years into 2 Grand Finals they could've easily won. He then coached Fremantle who have never looked like being a contender into their first and only Grand Final. He is now back at St. Kilda and has made a bunch of plodders into a side that could well challenge straight away - and he doesn't even have all the plodders available yet. These guys go to clubs with awful cultures and turn them around. Whether or not they win this premiership or that premiership isn't the point. They have an ability to win the hearts and minds of their players and that really is what coaching is all about in the purest sense of the word.

Clarkson is different. He is more characteristic of the sort of coach that has traditionally been seen in this sport. He isn't meditating, he's punching a hole in the wall. He has an intricate understanding of the way the game works and can see things others can't. He is brilliant in his own way and gets results too, but he needs time to build the team in his own image. He's a football coach. Roos and Lyon are people coaches. There's a reason why they play the defensive game they do. It's not about recruiting the most talented players and having them execute well thought out strategies, it's about a weight of numbers performance where effort is the only thing that counts. Their skill is in being able to extract this effort from their people and that is something that can be achieved immediately. What Clarkson is trying to do can't be done this quickly. The comparisons with St. Kilda are silly because we've chosen a completely different course. We'll get there, it's just going to take some patience.

Last edited:
I’m starting to think the thinking is strategic. That said I’m annoyed about Goater and Bergman not playing - I don’t really get it.

I don't think it's that simple. The Roos/Lyon coaching model is in my view the best the game has seen. Roos took a club that hadn't won a flag since the 1930s, had relocated to Sydney and was largely irrelevant and created a culture of sustained success that remains 20 years later. He then set a club that hadn't won a flag since the 1960s and had just experienced the worst decade you could imagine on the path to an eventual premiership. Lyon coached St. Kilda who have won 1 flag in 150 years into 2 Grand Finals they could've easily won. He then coached Fremantle who have never looked like being a contender into their first and only Grand Final. He is now back at St. Kilda and has made a bunch of plodders into a side that could well challenge straight away - and he doesn't even have all the plodders available yet. These guys go to clubs with awful cultures and turn them around. Whether or not they win this premiership or that premiership isn't the point. They have an ability to win the hearts and minds of their players and that really is what coaching is all about in the purest sense of the word.

Clarkson is different. He is more characteristic of the sort of coach that has traditionally been seen in this sport. He isn't meditating, he's punching a hole in the wall. He has an intricate understanding of the way the game works and can see things others can't. He is brilliant in his own way and gets results too, but he needs time to build the team in his own image. He's a football coach. Roos and Lyon are people coaches. There's a reason why they play the defensive game they do. It's not about having the most talented players and having them execute well thought out strategies, it's about a weight of numbers performance where effort is the only thing that counts. Their skill is in being able to extract this effort from their people and that is something that can be achieved immediately. What Clarkson is trying to do can't be done this quickly. The comparisons with St. Kilda are silly because we've chosen a completely different course. We'll get there, it's just going to take some patience.

I suppose building a winning culture can take years

Saints are off the bottom and even bombers are too. Collingwood came from bottom all the way to leaving nothing on the field

Last 2 weeks shows our standards are easily going to go back to “oh well I cbf competing today” with zero consequences. Who’s being dropped or punished for poor performances and efforts?

I thought we had an unforgiving and ruthless coach in Clarko. Liked seeing Goldy dropped for Xerri and even Cunners being subbed for his performance. But when we going to see it holistically
Saints are off 10th.

And they got 11 wins last year. I dont want to do the depressing math ti figure out how long its taken for us to get 11 wins.

Other than a "if you're not first you're last attitusde", or just not rating the saints list for some reason, we are not the same, we are far worse.

I agree. So if we apparently have the better coach, why hasn't he been able to extract better work rate and effort from our players?

I’m starting to think the thinking is strategic. That said I’m annoyed about Goater and Bergman not playing - I don’t really get it.
They haven't really been banging the door down in the VFL to warrant senior selection based on merit. Same with Perez.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back