Saints name being dragged through the mud again

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm just interested to hear what everyones thoughts are about the AFL's issuing of a please explain to our football club regarding the selecting of Justin Koschitzke and Stewart Loewe.

It's a well known fact that the majority of AFL players would be less than 100% fit. For that reason I'm a little mystified as to why our club has become the focus of the AFL's attention on this issue.

The inference that our club does not look after the safety and well-being of the players is very serious.

Fortunately this article from an expert in the field goes a long way towards putting to bed any such accusations.

From The Age Newspaper 24/4/02

St Kilda blameless in Koschitzke case

By Peter Brukner

Justin Koschitzke is a 19-year-old whose body has so far struggled to cope with the demands of AFL football. Already this year Koschitzke has suffered a torn posterior cruciate ligament of his knee, which caused him to miss nine weeks leading up to the season. Then, in round one, he sprained his ankle and needed intensive treatment to be right for the next game.

Over the past few weeks, Koschitzke has developed increasing low back pain and stiffness. On Monday last week, the Saints' medical team arranged for him to have a cortisone injection. As is customary after cortisone injections, Koschitzke then rested for a few days and trained on Friday. He had minimal discomfort and was passed fit to play on Sunday.

He played on and off the bench, as he had in the previous three weeks due to concerns about his knee injury and match fitness. Following Sunday's game, his back has continued to improve and he had no problems at training on Monday night.

It is important to understand what we mean by cortisone injections and pain-killing injections. Cortisone is not a pain-killer, it is a powerful anti-inflammatory agent. Following a cortisone injection, the recipient is advised to rest from strenuous activity for a few days to maximise the beneficial effects. Cortisone is never given just prior to, or during, a game.

Pain-killing injections numb the affected area, but have no beneficial effect on healing. They are used sparingly in sport.

The other Saints player whose medical treatment has been questioned is Stewart Loewe. Loewe received a minor injury to his knee in a pre-season game that resulted in some discomfort and stiffness. It responded well to treatment and he played the first game. Since then he has aggravated the injury twice, first against Fremantle and then against Port Adelaide. Both times he completed the game. Last week, his symptoms were a little worse, so an MRI scan was arranged. This showed a small tear in the meniscus.

After discussions between the player and the medical staff, it was decided that, as Loewe had got through the previous games without many problems, he would play on Sunday and a decision on future management would then be made. Subsequently, Loewe and the medical staff opted for surgery.

The Loewe case highlights the difficulty of the medical care of professional athletes. If players were allowed to play only when they were 100 per cent fit, we would not see many of them in action. All players cope with minor ailments, which are kept under control by the hard work of the clubs' medical and fitness staff. Judging whether a professional footballer should play or rest is often a grey area.

The Saints medical staff acted appropriately. There is a temptation to kick a club when it is down but in these cases, criticism is unwarranted.

Peter Brukner is Associate Professor in Sports Medicine at the Centre for Sports Medicine Research and Education at the University of Melbourne and can be heard on 774 ABC football on Saturday afternoons.

In an ideal world resting Koschitzke would have been the smartest thing to do. Yet with our injuries as they are at the moment and the fact that he was cleared fit to play by our medical staff, it was probably not an option. It's a similar scenario with Stewie.

The amount of injuries we have at the moment is unprecedented. Obviously people are going to say it's a cop-out but it's a fact. Having said that the injury toll has also highlighted the lack of depth we have at the club. The kids coming through look good but we won't see the best of them for quite a few years.

Let's hope we can start to have a bit of luck injury wise, get some stability into the team, and hopefully start winning some games.

The inference that our club does not look after the safety and well-being of the players is very serious.

what i am angry about is the afl sending off a letter of explanation because of reports they heard in the media. as if the media are a bastion of integrity instead of a source of innuendo, 1/2 truths and just out and out liers.

the article you have highligted is a very clear and concise explanation of events.

apparently tony shaw was saying on radio that kossi needed 7 injections just to play on sunday, which has been completely refuted by the club and proven to be utter crap.

tony shaw was a dirty, cheating, little sniper as a player and nothing has changed with his new role in the media.

tony shaw was a dirty, cheating, little sniper as a player and nothing has changed with his new role in the media.

Not too sure about all that except to say that if medico says its ok...then it is. And u sure are right about Shaw...i remember being on the boundary at Vic park one day(while ago now) and my team (Roos) were in front against Pies, and Shaw walked up to one of the Kracour bros i think, and spat fair in his face. Of course he retalliated with his fists and ended up getting 2 weeks for it. Did u know he holds the record 4 the most times at tribunal as a wittness...i rest my case. Shaw was good player...but not nice bloke

Remove this Banner Ad

Back