Delisted Sam Skinner (2015-2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

Lions skipper can’t prevent Eagles rout
The Lions rested gun youngsters Eric Hipwood, Hugh McCluggage and Jarrod Berry which gave Sam Skinner and Jacob Allison the chance to make their debuts. Fagan said he was thrilled with their first up performances.

Skinner took Hipwood’s spot in attack and finished as Brisbane’s only multiple goal kicker. His first goal in league footy drew celebrating teammates from every corner of the ground. “He kicked a couple of goals and competed really well and laid a couple of strong tackles,’’ Fagan said. “So that was exciting to see that.’’

SAM Skinner’s story to come back from multiple knee reconstructions has inspired his team mates. When the debutant kicked a goal in the opening quarter every Lion on the ground ran in to congratulate him.

Lions set for at least five changes next week
THE BRISBANE Lions will make at least five changes for next week's clash against the Western Bulldogs at the Gabba, coach Chris Fagan has confirmed. But Fagan has indicated debutants Sam Skinner and Jacob Allison are likely to hold their place in the team after both impressed in the Lions' 68-point drubbing at the hands of West Coast at Domain Stadium on Sunday.

Skinner, 20, was quieter in gathering nine touches as a key forward, but positioned himself well and impacted the scoreboard with two goals – the first an impressive snap from the pocket and the second a volley from the goal-square.

The 197cm utility was set to debut on the same day last year – in round 19 against the Power – before hyperextending his knee at training which resulted in his second knee reconstruction in as many years.

"The same (can be said) with Sam Skinner. "It was probably a big occasion for him. (He was) going to make a debut a year ago (and) didn’t because of a knee reco. "He got a chance today, kicked a couple of goals and competed well on a few occasions – some really strong tackles.

Five talking points: West Coast v Brisbane Lions
5. The Lions unveil more promising cubs
The Lions' other debutant - Gippsland utility Sam Skinner – expected to play his first game exactly a year ago, in round 19, 2016, before hyperextending his knee during training which required his second ACL reconstruction in as many years. The 197cm key position prospect found himself in damaging attacking positions and was on the board early with a neatly converted snap at the end of the first term. Skinner’s second – a mid-air effort from the goalsquare – showcased his athleticism while he was impressively clean below his knees. The Lions' young tall stocks might’ve already been the envy of the competition. Skinner’s showing only added to their reputation.

The Lions did produce another exciting youngster in Perth who could see more action over the remainder of the season – Sam Skinner.

Skinner finally made his debut on Sunday, a year after first being given the nod to play his first game. He injured his ACL doing extra training after being given the news that he'd broken through for his first game at senior level, and was devastated to learn he required a second knee reconstruction.

His recovery came full circle just before the end of the first term on Sunday when he kicked his first AFL goal and reduced the Eagles lead to just five points at the first break.

Sadly for the Lions and for the game, the Lions couldn't add another goal until the 11-minute mark of the third term, when Skinner kicked his second.
1501411408746.jpg

My debut by Sam Skinner
After 12 months and plenty of ups and downs, my dream finally came true on Sunday.

Strangely, I was meant to make my debut on the exact same date against Port Adelaide last year. A year ago on the Thursday prior to the game, I was getting messages for all the right reasons and then a day later for all the wrong reasons after I hyperextended my knee, tearing my ACL.

It was a huge emotional roller coaster. I knew I was set to debut but then I was told I wasn’t going to be fit again for at least nine months.

The experience was hard to deal with at the time, especially seeing the boys walk out and knowing I was supposed to be alongside them for the first time.

It wasn’t my first knee reconstruction — I arrived at the club at the end of 2015 recovering from my first round of surgery.

Mel and Craig Lambert supported me in my first year — and haven’t stopped caring — while Andrew Crowell has been huge since coming to the club at the beginning of the year.

But the person who has helped me the most is Selwyn Griffith, our strength and conditioning coach who’s played an integral role with not only my knee’s rehabilitation but also the mental side of being a professional athlete.

Despite having put my injury troubles behind me, he remains a close mate. He is always up for a chat and is always checking in with me — we have formed a good relationship over the past two years.

I wasn’t expecting to play at the beginning of the week and it wasn’t until Thursday night that I found out.

After training I was having a few set shots and ‘Fages’ called me and told me I would be going over to Western Australia to make my debut.

We went into the change rooms and he told all the boys and staff who were there. It was a little difficult to not play the game in my head before it had started but being able to chat to experienced players such as Dayne Beams, who have played plenty of footy, I was able to relax and enjoy it a bit more.

The coaches have made it easier for me and have instilled it into us that we only need to play our role.

Playing in front of a parochial West Coast crowd was pretty daunting. I hadn’t played in front of anything close to the 30,000 strong crowd that was there. It was a brand new experience and, if I’m honest, I found it a little nerve-racking.

I had 16 supporters from my family and friends over there who made the trek, which made it extra special. It meant a lot to me because they’ve been there right throughout the journey.

On the field, being aggressive is one of my strengths and it felt good to lay a tackle on Will Schofield in the pocket. Releasing that aggression early was vital in helping me settle into the game.

While we didn’t get the result we were after, there was still some special moments that I’ll cherish forever. One of those was kicking my first goal.

Initially nothing went through my head when the ball went through. I couldn’t really see the goals because the sun was in my eyes but having all the boys get around me was a huge sense of joy and relief.

I’ve been used more as a defender since coming to the club and played as a forward for the first time in the NEAFL last week. I wasn’t focused on kicking goals, I was more focused on playing my role for the team — something I try to do every time I go out there.

I’ve still got a lot to learn in defence and in attack but feel my experience down back has helped me understand the forward role, especially when it comes to things like positioning and where to lead. It’s been a different role that I’ve really enjoyed in the last couple of weeks.

As a 20-year-old, I understand there is still a lot for me to learn about the game. There may only be four weeks left but as an AFL group we are striving to win all four games and I want to continue developing my game.

My journey is just beginning and I’m excited for what the future holds.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Brisbane Lions confirmed this morning that promising defender Sam Skinner has suffered an ACL injury in the Lions NEAFL side’s win over the GWS Giants on Saturday.

The 20-year-old ruptured his ACL on his right knee and will require surgery.

This is the third time he’s suffered this same injury, after already damaging his ACL twice on his left knee.

http://www.lions.com.au/news/2017-08-22/skinner-ruptures-acl-

Recovery Report: Skinner to require surgery
Brisbane Lions Head of Medical Peter Blanch confirmed Sam Skinner’s ACL rupture will require surgery and take another ten months of recovery.

Skinner was injured during the fourth quarter of the NEAFL side’s win over GWS Giants on Saturday. “Sam’s had some problems with the ACLs in his left knee. He’s had two knee reconstructions in his left knee. He worked very hard to get back from those and unfortunately he popped the ACL in his right knee,” Blanch said.

The promising defender, who made his AFL debut in Round 19 against West Coast, will go into surgery next week. “It will take about nine to ten months from the day of surgery to when he’s back, fully available to play.”

Devastating: Lions youngster ruptures ACL again
BRISBANE youngster Sam Skinner has been dealt a horrible blow, rupturing his ACL yet again.

The talented 20-year-old defender suffered the injury in the side’s NEAFL clash with the Giants on Saturday afternoon, the third time he has ruptured his ACL in his young career.

Scans on Tuesday confirmed Skinner had ruptured the ACL in his right knee during the match, having already suffered two separate ACL injuries to his left knee.

“The club is extremely disappointed by another blow to Sam’s career after seeing how hard he worked over this last summer to get back and make his debut,” David Noble said. “Sam has shown great resilience and strength of character with his previous injuries. We will provide every support for him and his family from a medical and wellbeing perspective.”

Skinner first ruptured his ACL midway through his under 18s campaign, before again hurting the same knee in training just days before he was set to make his senior debut last year.

Taken with Pick 47 in the 2015 national draft and, having eventually recovered from his previous injuries, Skinner did indeed make his senior debut in Round 19 this season. He kicked two goals from nine disposals, before returning to the NEAFL a week later.

Brisbane Lions' Sam Skinner needs third knee reconstruction
Brisbane youngster Sam Skinner faces another lengthy stint on the sidelines after enduring his third ruptured ACL. Skinner, 20, injured his left knee playing for the Lions' reserves in the NEAFL against Greater Western Sydney on Saturday.

It's the opposite knee to the one he had reconstructed in 2015 and 2016, with the latter injury coming days before he was due to make his AFL debut last July.

The 197cm-Skinner played his sole AFL game this year in Brisbane's round 19 loss to West Coast, impressing with two goals before being sent back to the reserves.

• SHARE ON FACEBOOK SHARE
  • SHARE ON TWITTER TWEET
1503362798000.jpg

Sam Skinner in his sole AFL game. Photo: AAP
Brisbane football boss David Noble said Skinner, the No.47 draft pick of 2015, would be given mental support.

"The club is extremely disappointed by another blow to Sam's career after seeing how hard he worked over this last summer to get back and make his debut," Noble said in a statement on Tuesday. "Sam has shown great resilience and strength of character with his previous injuries."We will provide every support for him and his family from a medical and wellbeing perspective."

On Monday, coach Chris Fagan identified Skinner as a key player for the last-placed Lions' future. "He is a real competitor and I'm really hopeful he will step up next year," Fagan told SEN radio.

Knee injuries plague Skinner's young career
BRISBANE youngster Sam Skinner has suffered another major knee injury, rupturing an anterior cruciate ligament for the third time. The talented 20-year-old defender was hurt in the side's NEAFL clash with the Giants on Saturday afternoon, the third time he has suffered the same knee injury in his young career.

Scans on Tuesday confirmed Skinner had ruptured the ACL in his right knee, having already suffered two separate ACL injuries to his left knee.

"The club is extremely disappointed by another blow to Sam's career after seeing how hard he worked over this last summer to get back and make his debut," the club's football boss David Noble said. "Sam has shown great resilience and strength of character with his previous injuries. We will provide every support for him and his family from a medical and wellbeing perspective."

Skinner first ruptured his ACL midway through his under-18s campaign, before again hurting the same knee in training just days before he was set to make his senior debut last year.

Taken with pick 47 in the 2015 national draft and, having eventually recovered from his previous injuries, Skinner made his senior debut in round 19 this season. He kicked two goals from nine disposals, before returning to the NEAFL a week later.
b88934057z1_20170822105003_000gh3ojqiv3-0-6auav2i2twylq9wiso2_fct1551x1153x338x82_ct620x465.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back