Samsung s4

Remove this Banner Ad

Probably only if you need to use your phone for 1+ days at a time without access to a power source.

Getting a case is your first big worry.

I'm still yet to get a case (well I brought the Samsung one with the flip thing... hated it so took it off)... my phone is a dropping accident waiting to happen I reckon.

As much as they suck, cases and screen protectors are a pretty good idea. I'm a big fan of Spigen (SPG) cases, I've had them on my S2 and S3 and they've saved them from a couple of ugly falls, without copping much damage themselves. Their Neo Hybrid case for the S4 looks pretty sweet.

As much as they suck, cases and screen protectors are a pretty good idea. I'm a big fan of Spigen (SPG) cases, I've had them on my S2 and S3 and they've saved them from a couple of ugly falls, without copping much damage themselves. Their Neo Hybrid case for the S4 looks pretty sweet.
Screen protector isn't needed, in my opinion. Have never had one on my SGS1 or SGS3 and have never gotten a scratch.

SGS4 has a slightly bigger screen.
SGS4 is a bit thinner and lighter.
HTC One doesn't have a microSD memory card slot.
SGS4 has a higher MP camera.
SGS4 battery is removable.

I'd go for the SGS4, but they are both great phones.

Not sure the point of only listing SG4 pros and an HTC con, when there are plenty in the opposite direction. I did a stack of research on both. I came from the point of view of an Android user who had vowed never to go back to HTC, yet ultimately I was swayed into buying an HTC one despite this initial bias against it. Here are some things that make the HTC a better option:

1) Higher MP camera doesn't equal better camera. The HTC one camera produces worse daytime pictures but better ones at night. Both are very good though
2) HTC just feels so lovely in the hand, compared with the cheap plastic feel of the S4. I didn't put as big an emphasis on this as other reviewers did, but it is a consideration
3) The biggest one for me is the input lag on the S4. Play with them at the store. Even a brand new S4 feels quite laggy to tough, particularly relative to the HTC. There is a lot of bloatware on the S4 that you can get rid off with some hacking and "rooting" but the HTC is smooth out of the box
4) S4 has some overheating issues with playing games. When you buy a super-powerful phone like that you want to be able to play some top notch games but what's the point if it melts your hand?

Not sure the point of only listing SG4 pros and an HTC con, when there are plenty in the opposite direction. I did a stack of research on both. I came from the point of view of an Android user who had vowed never to go back to HTC, yet ultimately I was swayed into buying an HTC one despite this initial bias against it. Here are some things that make the HTC a better option:

1) Higher MP camera doesn't equal better camera. The HTC one camera produces worse daytime pictures but better ones at night. Both are very good though
2) HTC just feels so lovely in the hand, compared with the cheap plastic feel of the S4. I didn't put as big an emphasis on this as other reviewers did, but it is a consideration
3) The biggest one for me is the input lag on the S4. Play with them at the store. Even a brand new S4 feels quite laggy to tough, particularly relative to the HTC. There is a lot of bloatware on the S4 that you can get rid off with some hacking and "rooting" but the HTC is smooth out of the box
4) S4 has some overheating issues with playing games. When you buy a super-powerful phone like that you want to be able to play some top notch games but what's the point if it melts your hand?
Good point about simply listing the S4 positives, I guess I was being too simple with the recommendation.

Although on your points:

1. Both cameras are good to be fair, I wouldn't buy one for the camera over the other.
2. Personal opinion on the feel in the hand, but I (and many others) use a case which will change that feel again. I've never had an issue with the plastic of the Galaxy series.
3. I'd be extremely surprised if the S4 had any lag issues as I believe they got rid of that with the SGS2. I have a S3 which is as sharp as the the day I got it (over a year ago) and the S4 has better hardware.
4. Haven't heard of this issue, I think it melting is a bit of an overstatement.

Personally, I think the bigger screen, lighter weight, additional storage through the microSD and removable battery are all much bigger pluses than your four points.

http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/cool-android-homescreens/

I just bought an Samsung S3, and while I wait for it to arrive Tuesday I have been looking into what I can do with it, since I moved to apple after the S1. I am now coming back and was wondering as to how people made those home screens? Also why is there two screens in the images?

http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/cool-android-homescreens/

I just bought an Samsung S3, and while I wait for it to arrive Tuesday I have been looking into what I can do with it, since I moved to apple after the S1. I am now coming back and was wondering as to how people made those home screens? Also why is there two screens in the images?

Root your phone then flash custom roms.

Google xda developers forum (or youtube) for android support on how to do the above. Does void your warranty though.

Google xda developers forum (or youtube) for android support on how to do the above. Does void your warranty though.
Don't have a warranty, have bought it off someone else.

Lock screen and your home screen is the two different images.
Can I make my own image on photoshop, put it on the phone and have it work like that?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's a relatively pointless exercise for most.

Does anyone know how to change the 'always use this option' option?

I never actually read it when I kept getting the warnings and now want to change one.

Settings > Application manager. Find the app that you've set as the default one and hit the "Clear defaults" button.

Good point about simply listing the S4 positives, I guess I was being too simple with the recommendation.

Although on your points:

1. Both cameras are good to be fair, I wouldn't buy one for the camera over the other.
2. Personal opinion on the feel in the hand, but I (and many others) use a case which will change that feel again. I've never had an issue with the plastic of the Galaxy series.
3. I'd be extremely surprised if the S4 had any lag issues as I believe they got rid of that with the SGS2. I have a S3 which is as sharp as the the day I got it (over a year ago) and the S4 has better hardware.
4. Haven't heard of this issue, I think it melting is a bit of an overstatement.

Personally, I think the bigger screen, lighter weight, additional storage through the microSD and removable battery are all much bigger pluses than your four points.

The S4 has better hardware but a lot more bloatware. I felt an S4 in the shop and it felt fine but only once I played with the HTC One interface did I realise that it was laggy in comparison.

For the heat issue, you'll have to google it, but it definitely isn't rare. I have played GTA Vice City on mine and it gets a bit hot but nothing too uncomfortable.

The Galaxy only has 16 gb though (unless you pay more for 32) which is really 8 gb after you lose out on all of the bloatware. You're then having to pay more for a memory card but applications and such installed on a memory card will generally run slower.

I doubt many people regret the decision to buy an S4 but they'll need to lift their game with the next version as HTC isn't putting out shite anymore.

The S4 has better hardware but a lot more bloatware. I felt an S4 in the shop and it felt fine but only once I played with the HTC One interface did I realise that it was laggy in comparison.

For the heat issue, you'll have to google it, but it definitely isn't rare. I have played GTA Vice City on mine and it gets a bit hot but nothing too uncomfortable.

The Galaxy only has 16 gb though (unless you pay more for 32) which is really 8 gb after you lose out on all of the bloatware. You're then having to pay more for a memory card but applications and such installed on a memory card will generally run slower.
The bloatware is certainly not as bad as you are making out. I simply don't believe you about the lag.

8gb of system applications is also a lie, it's nowhere near that. I've never heard of someone making the microSD slot sound like a bad thing...

I get that you may not like the Galaxy series, but most of the stuff you are pointing out is simply false.

The bloatware is certainly not as bad as you are making out. I simply don't believe you about the lag.

8gb of system applications is also a lie, it's nowhere near that. I've never heard of someone making the microSD slot sound like a bad thing...

I get that you may not like the Galaxy series, but most of the stuff you are pointing out is simply false.

The internal storage issue is so bad it's actually being investigated. Fair enough too, as it's becoming Windows-like (bought my sister a "128gb laptop" that actually was 75gb". Here is a link: http://www.androidcentral.com/bbc-w...amsung-galaxy-s4-internal-storage-controversy which includes the numbers. It seems that there is 7gb taken up by the system, not 8gb like I said, but I wasn't far off.

As for the SD slot, of course it's preferable to have one, but not all memory is equal. Upon release, you couldn't even install apps to the memory card on the Samsung. I think they changed that now, or you can at least hack your way to it.

You can disbelieve me all you want regarding the lag, but it's a commonly documented issue on many forums. I honestly suggest you look this up before purchase. All smartphones lag from time to time, and this only gets worse over time as the battery degrades (which you can luckily replace on the Samsung) and they get clogged with stuff. The true test is normally how they are faring in 1 year, and no one has owned any brand new phone for one year yet. The S4, however, is the only one I've read consistent negative reports about regarding lag. One reviewer even said "it was such a shame that I was embarrassed to show the beautiful pictures I took because the gallery app was so laggy".

It's not at all a case of not liking the Galaxy series. I don't see the point in disliking certain brands or product lines, I just want the best thing possible that I can afford. I did all the research, and came to the conclusion that the HTC One was better, and this was after I basically swore off HTC after having a horrendous phone from them (HTC Desire HD). I was also very excited to jump onto the Samsung Galaxy train, before my research. Samsung is a much bigger company and has flooded the internet and billboards and television with this new phone, and that will draw in a lot of customers, but the majority of reviewers and people who have taken the time to investigate the two have chosen the HTC.

Anyone who uses "official gallery app lag" as a reason to NOT buy a completely customizable android device should probably just stick with Apple gear. Oh...... and fixes for the S4 "lag" issue have been around for a while.

When I plug the device into the computer it charges.. but in my computer it doesnt show up. :/

Try going to device manager, finding your device, or the one that looks like it (should say Samsung Phone or similar), right click, uninstall, then plug the phone back in. Happens all the time with my nexus 4. Irritating as hell.

Try going to device manager, finding your device, or the one that looks like it (should say Samsung Phone or similar), right click, uninstall, then plug the phone back in. Happens all the time with my nexus 4. Irritating as hell.

I got it somehow, needed a transfer cable that could transfer stuff, not just a normal cable for charging. :)

I have done the same stuff with apps from the Play Store and a combination of below.

Nova Launcher
Minimalist Shortcut Pro
4chan wallpaper boards
and various minimalist icon packs and widgets

Nothing rooted or downloaded illegally.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back