Science/Environment Schizophrenia and Cannabis

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you have any data on hand for this? Links?
Links are in the NDS pdf. Some are very interesting.
"The evidence of a cross-sectional association between cannabis use and psychosis is not enough to be able to conclude that cannabis causes psychosis. First of all, evidence of association does not provide information about the temporal relationship of the cannabis psychosis relationship. It remains possible that experiencing psychosis could make it more likely that people go on to use cannabis"
I'm sure that is in part true. It's a very difficult area to study for many reasons, but there have been maybe, 50 plus studies, and most show a increase incidence of psychosis later in life in people who have used dope as an adolescent or young adult. Having worked in the area I have absolutely no doubt dope and other drugs can precipitate a psychotic episode in someone who is known to have schizophrenia.

Having worked in the area I have absolutely no doubt dope and other drugs can precipitate a psychotic episode in someone who is known to have schizophrenia.

I am no expert so I only rely on what I read in studies... And your link essentially disagreed with the assertion you made in your post. In any case, if this were true (which I think is plausible) what is the point in terms of; does this casual link mean it should be grouped with other illicit drugs that you can actually overdose/die from? There are many things in this world that can cause harm to a minority of people (through allergies, suspectiblilty to addiction etc) but is OK for the majority that are not made illegal.

I am no expert so I only rely on what I read in studies... And your link essentially disagreed with the assertion you made in your post. In any case, if this were true (which I think is plausible) what is the point in terms of; does this casual link mean it should be grouped with other illicit drugs that you can actually overdose/die from? There are many things in this world that can cause harm to a minority of people (through allergies, suspectiblilty to addiction etc) but is OK for the majority that are not made illegal.
In terms of safety, dope is a much safer drug than alcohol, with less risk of acute events such as dying from an overdose (essentially none with dope) or doing something stupid & violent, also with less long term medical & social complications. Alcohol also shares the same propensity for precipitating psychosis in those at risk as dope. If you were to legalise recreational drugs based on safety, dope would probably be the first and XTC next. Alcohol would be mid-range in terms of risk.

This from the best and most recent metadata anaylsis I could find:

"For people with schizophrenia Cannabis could relieve some of the psychological difficulties that come as part of the illness of schizophrenia, or as reaction to having schizophrenia. However, taking this compound could also make things worse. The evidence is just not clear from the trials."

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD004837.pub3/pdf

While I'm absolutely uninformed on this, I'd be very surprised if there wasn't a connection to ice/speed/eccies with this. Mixing those things weed is exponentially more dangerous with relation to psychosis.

While I'm absolutely uninformed on this, I'd be very surprised if there wasn't a connection to ice/speed/eccies with this.

Ice & speed are the same drug

Mixing those things weed is exponentially more dangerous with relation to psychosis.

There is no solid data to support this notion. Cannabis, methamphetamines and MDMA have different pharmacological properties.

Cannabanoids, a class of psychoactive compounds in cannabis, work by interacting with cannabanoid receptors in the brain.

upload_2017-5-19_7-51-8.jpeg

Metamphetamines act on the brain by releasing higher levels of the pleasure molecule dopamine and then acts to block the breakdown of this excess dopamine, leading to prolonged pleasure and stimulation. (this relates to cocaine which has the same metabolic pharmakinetics as meth)

upload_2017-5-19_8-0-5.gif

MDMA primarily increases the rate of serotonin outflow in the brain and then inhibits re-uptake of the molecule, then further facilitates dopamine and oxytocin release.

upload_2017-5-19_8-2-2.jpeg

Gtfo with your year 8 science/health assignment kid, it makes me think you're a mug.

I'm obviously not arguing that the drugs have the same 'pharmacological properties' or effect the brain in the same way, that's stating the ******* obvious. I'm arguing the interaction between the two causes side effects that are not experienced by taking the drugs in isolation, just like many other drugs.

This is why you would have been told not to mix drugs in the same year 8 health class that you've taken those images from, or similarly told by your bogan mates: 'beer before bongs you can't go wrong' or 'wine before beer and you'll look like a queer'.

Furthermore, you strip your argument of credibility when arguing CBD, which is the main component of medicinal MJ, as a psychoactive component of MJ, as opposed to THC, which is significantly more psychoactive.

Seriously, if you're going to come at me, don't ******* tease, pleb.

Furthermore, you strip your argument of credibility when arguing CBD, which is the main component of medicinal MJ, as a psychoactive component of MJ, as opposed to THC, which is significantly more psychoactive.

I referred to "cannabinoids", Mr "JUNGLEMUFFIN"

THC and CBD both belong to this group of compounds.

Did you fail year 8?

You want to **** with the big boys then make sure you've got a big enough dick.

Talk s**t get hit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

well-that-escalated-e7pq1p.jpg

Depending on where you look, 15-20% of Australians smoked cannabis last year.

If it is a cause of schizophrenia, we are ****ed.

But seriously, it isn't. Every person is different and react differently to different substances for dozens of different reasons. Antidepressants are more likely to cause pyscosis than weed.

I used to smoke, really enjoyed it. Stoped because I stopped getting the desired results without any side effects and extremely minor withdrawals. Ciggies are a million times harder to kick.

Including 'legal' drugs. Addiction to prescription drugs is as significant an issue but is seemingly glossed over.

absolutely

people need to think twice whether they really need "it" and when they will be off "it". I'll add food groups to that, like sugar.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back