Sports School faction carnivals

Remove this Banner Ad

My high school didn't even have houses/factions

Primary school called them houses, named them after greek gods

At primary school in my first few years they were just red, green, blue, yellow. Then they changed them to be named after the four streets surrounding the school. A high school they were four WA Olympic gold medallists - Strickland, Brooks, Elliott and....... the other one.

EDIT: It was McClements!

We had 'houses' in both primary and high school. Primary school named them after the Aboriginal words for koala, emu, kangaroo, and the one I was in escapes me. It was called "Biaga" and the emblem was an eagle/hawk looking thing but not sure what it was specifically. Quick Google search yields nothing. High school named them after flowers, ghey.

Primary school had the streets around the school with corresponding colour, high school had the founding figures/names. Good Lutheran school so plenty of quality names like Kavel and Leidig.

In primary school they were just sporting divisions that only mattered when carnivals rolled around.

In high school they were more administrative units. Your home room only had other students from the same house in it, and each year group had a house leader. We had a housemaster, and had full-school house assembly once a week that was run by the captains and house prefects. Intramural competitions ran all year (sports, music, drama, etc.) and a lot of other stuff was organised along house lines (e.g. buddy systems, mentoring, tutoring).

My high school didn't even have houses/factions

Primary school called them houses, named them after greek gods
In primary school it was called Sports Day ours were just colours: Green(me), Red, Blue and Yellow.
In high school it was called Spring/Summer carnival they were named after star signs: Pisces(me), Taurus, Leo and Scorpio
Funnily enough the only time my house won the sports day was my first year of both primary and high school, every other year we came basically last.

Went to primary school in SA and then moved to country WA when i started high school. Anyone who has gone to high school in country WA know that country week is the most important event of the year so the normal school carnivals were more of a day off school then a chance to compete against each other. Our high school carnivals didnt have any track and field events (had events like tennis, golf, lawn bowls, hockey) and we didnt have a swimming carnival either being the only high school in town we had no one to compete against.

Won Tennis in year 8 and Lawn bowls in year 12 but pretty much sucked at everything else.

In primary school they were just sporting divisions that only mattered when carnivals rolled around.

In high school they were more administrative units. Your home room only had other students from the same house in it, and each year group had a house leader. We had a housemaster, and had full-school house assembly once a week that was run by the captains and house prefects. Intramural competitions ran all year (sports, music, drama, etc.) and a lot of other stuff was organised along house lines (e.g. buddy systems, mentoring, tutoring).
I imagine this is pretty common. Same with me.

I despised PE with a passion at school, organised sportsdays likewise. If my 20th reunion is anything to go by anyway, a lot of the guys and gals that were good back then at that sort of s**t seemed to be the sort of people whose life peaked in high school.

Yeah, high school heroes. The reality is that being good at sport and being a champion/able to make a living out of it is a vast chasm. People who are just good as sports at school )if that is their only real "talent") end up usually being shitkickers.

Vice versa most of the "weirdos" end up quite successful and balanced people.

I'm always reminded of Dawn's line in The Office: "There's a girl from my school, she's now running her own internet auction website, making a fortune and is happily married. She used to eat chalk in class"

Athletics was never my forte in school. Funnily enough, I was a decent runner in primary school despite being a bit chubby (not obese but just a little chubby) but when I lost it in year 7/8, I suddenly became a plodder... go figure. That was about it athletics wise, swimming wise I was one of the strongest non-water polo players at swimming, they would always dominate the carnivals so I finished around 4th most of the time which surprised many as I was always one of the shortest in my year level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My thing was the cross country which I won in grade 7. I was capable in track and field and loved sports day. Swimming carnival was fun for the cheering and sitting in the stands for two days.

By high school I was over it. Even though I was fully in to club sport on the weekends school carnivals just didn't do it for me anymore. Seriously, you get put into houses based on alphabetical order of surnames. Who gives a rats?

Yeah, high school heroes. The reality is that being good at sport and being a champion/able to make a living out of it is a vast chasm. People who are just good as sports at school )if that is their only real "talent") end up usually being shitkickers.

Vice versa most of the "weirdos" end up quite successful and balanced people.

I'm always reminded of Dawn's line in The Office: "There's a girl from my school, she's now running her own internet auction website, making a fortune and is happily married. She used to eat chalk in class"
I reckon this is just what weirdos tell themselves, thanks (not really thanks) to Facebook I can see pretty clearly that weirdos from high school are still pretty much weirdos.

I reckon this is just what weirdos tell themselves, thanks (not really thanks) to Facebook I can see pretty clearly that weirdos from high school are still pretty much weirdos.

How far out of high school are you?

"Just did the beep test for the first time since like year 10 and managed to get 16.0. Absolutely stoked considering its irregular to get past 14.0 and AFL players rarely get past 15.0"
This coming from some fat guy on Drakescoffeecake facebook. Had a laugh and thought it would be appropriate for this thread.

What did your school call them?

At my primary school they were called factions and in high school they were called 'houses' .

This.

In primary school they were named after early explorers.

Butler - Blue
Lukin - Red
Waylen - Yellow
Wellard - Green

Needless to say that Lukin were known by the other factions as the Lukin Losers and Butler as the Butts or the Slaves.

Don't really recall the names of the high school houses but they were named after ships of the early explorers. Yellow were known as success.

Just awful at school sports.

A horrid swimmer, slow runner, could not throw or jump. Just a disaster really..

I did come 7th in Cross Country the last year of school though and I also snagged four goals in a hockey game once..

It was all about the performing Arts competitions for me. :thumbsu:

Only year I took it seriously was grade 7, last year of primary school. Actually have a couple of good memories though. Remember our house having two netball teams, we stacked one with all our "best" players while I was put with the rejects. Managed to "lead" the rejects to a couple of wins from playing goal defence, with final scores like 2-1 from hour long games. Unfortunately, despite being so obviously talented at "intercepts" - I was never encouraged to play AFL like Jack Watts clearly was...

My high school didn't really take school sports seriously (we didn't even have a sports day in year 12 cos it was basically "too much effort"). Year 8 100 metre relay got a few guys together so we'd have a team and get "participation" points for our house. The bloke who started us off - lost his shoe.....well by the time I got the baton for the final leg, everyone else had finished. I ran the last leg waving the baton at the crowd. After finishing ran to the stands to pretend to sign some autographs.

• Good thread, aside from the use of 'false dichotomy'. I was in yellow, I was bad at everything. Best I got was a 2nd place ribbon and that was in a 2 person race in Primary School/

We had factions at primary school and sports carnival day was huge with everyone dressing up in the colours of their factions.

We had Dampier (Blue), Mitchell (Red), Stirling (Yellow) and Forrest (Green).

I was in Dampier and we were mostly s**t either finishing third or last.

We had houses at high school but no one really gave a s**t about sports carnivals then so it wasn't as big as primary school.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back