Sean Wight dies

Remove this Banner Ad

Magnificent footballer. Courageous, quick, skilful and the ultimate team player. Kicked the best goal I've ever seen a scissor-kick volley from 45 metres. Never captured on film unfortunately.
Deserved All-Australian and a terrific player for the Vics.
Taken too early. RIP Irish.

he was only 47, and never smoked, hard to imagine it could happen to someone like that. r.i.p sean

It wouldn't be much consolation to his people right at this time, but he made his mark on the world, and people know who he is because of it. In 100 years, people will look up and know who Sean Wight is. That in itself is a wonderful legacy for his family.

RIP Sean.

Loved watching him play the game. Always a stand out down there at full back taking strong marks on the last line.
Both Sean and Jim Stynes are the reason I players from the GAA when many don't.

RIP Sean.

When Sean first started his career, he looked awkward, out of place even. Within 12 months, he became an exceptional footballer, and just kept getting better. He was utterly fearless, short for a full back, at 185 cm, but his commitment to the contest was unsurpassed. For a man of his build, he was blindingly quick, which was probably why he was able to keep up with the likes of Ablett Snr. His overhead skills and strength in a marking contest were other things which distinguished his career.

He was not a champion footballer. It would probably be difficult to even argue that he was on the rung immediately below that. However, he was a champion bloke. When he started in footy, he lived in a first-floor flat in Dandenong Rd, in East St Kilda. His downstairs neighbour became a mate of mine on my first day of uni. She was an exceptional woman, even though she was an American. The degree we did together was her second one, after she'd completed her law degree, That day we met at uni., she told me that she'd given birth to a daughter, three weeks previous. She subsequently moved into the flat underneath Sean's one, with her baby, after her husband thrashed her around the legs.

She'd barely heard of footy, and it wasn't until about nine months later that she found out Sean played the game. She thought he was just an incredibly nice, handsome man, with a buffed body, who by this time, had become her protector, removalist, handyman, mate and shoulder to cry on. Being a single mother of a child under a year old, she was often lonely and distraught.

She was one of the most frighteningly intelligent people I've ever met (except in her choice of male partners), and if she reckoned Sean was the bee's knees, then he was.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When Sean first started his career, he looked awkward, out of place even. Within 12 months, he became an exceptional footballer, and just kept getting better. He was utterly fearless, short for a full back, at 185 cm, but his commitment to the contest was unsurpassed. For a man of his build, he was blindingly quick, which was probably why he was able to keep up with the likes of Ablett Snr. His overhead skills and strength in a marking contest were other things which distinguished his career.

He was not a champion footballer. It would probably be difficult to even argue that he was on the rung immediately below that. However, he was a champion bloke. When he started in footy, he lived in a first-floor flat in Dandenong Rd, in East St Kilda. His downstairs neighbour became a mate of mine on my first day of uni. She was an exceptional woman, even though she was an American. The degree we did together was her second one, after she'd completed her law degree, That day we met at uni., she told me that she'd given birth to a daughter, three weeks previous. She subsequently moved into the flat underneath Sean's one, with her baby, after her husband thrashed her around the legs.

She'd barely heard of footy, and it wasn't until about nine months later that she found out Sean played the game. She thought he was just an incredibly nice, handsome man, with a buffed body, who by this time, had become her protector, removalist, handyman, mate and shoulder to cry on. Being a single mother of a child under a year old, she was often lonely and distraught.

She was one of the most frighteningly intelligent people I've ever met (except in her choice of male partners), and if she reckoned Sean was the bee's knees, then he was.

thats an amazing story. thanks for taking the time to share it. what is the lady doing now?

R.I.P Sean. Was an absolute favourite in our Demon-dominated family. Ripping fullback and would get a game in every team in the league these days if he was playing now.

Respect the mo too.

[youtube]XmhyF0iCDnQ[/youtube]

A fitting and very moving tribute Munga....no-one could watch it without getting emotional and having tears in their eyes....I know I did..

Well done to you:thumbsu:

RIP Sean..

(I feel for Jimmy right now on so many levels..would be so hard for him)

Always remember him as an honest player (about the highest praise i've got for any footballer). Never gave it less than he was capable of.

RIP Sean

Remove this Banner Ad

Back