Season 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Hard to tell Local as didn't see either game. Healesville at home, Wandin away?? Did the two Darwin guys both play?

I know this is more devoted to Div.1 chat but want to say a big well done to Yea and more importantly Guy Morphet on chalking up a win on debut.

The way the Pies are going I'm thinking Kinglake may be a better option for a footy fix on Monday :D

I know this is more devoted to Div.1 chat but want to say a big well done to Yea and more importantly Guy Morphet on chalking up a win on debut.

The way the Pies are going I'm thinking Kinglake may be a better option for a footy fix on Monday :D

It was a good result for them, especially considering that Gembrook had a stronger side than last year - at least on paper. Although some of those Gembrook blokes must be getting on a bit. How many new players did Yea have in their senior team from last year when you coached them?

Kinglake didn't put up much resistance in the second half on the weekend. I wonder if that means that they've dropped right off this year or whether Yarra Glen are going to be too good for everyone else.

Anyway, if Yea can get over Kinglake on Monday, they should beat Thornton next week and be well set up at 3-0 (five day break might be a factor though).

It was a good result for them, especially considering that Gembrook had a stronger side than last year - at least on paper. Although some of those Gembrook blokes must be getting on a bit. How many new players did Yea have in their senior team from last year when you coached them?

Kinglake didn't put up much resistance in the second half on the weekend. I wonder if that means that they've dropped right off this year or whether Yarra Glen are going to be too good for everyone else.

Anyway, if Yea can get over Kinglake on Monday, they should beat Thornton next week and be well set up at 3-0 (five day break might be a factor though).

From memory I'd say 8 new faces, or 7 not including Guy as playing coach. Couple of kids out of last years 3rds outfit played first games and I'm thinking maybe 3-4 senior quality lads still to come in.

I'd love nothing more than to see them rise up, coz what I was no hope of doing at my age (drag footy aged mates across) Guy has been able to do which I think (hope) will place the Tigers in a dangerous position

Saw Healesville Upwey today. 3/4s of the game was brilliant. Upwey's second quarter was nothing short of brilliant, the way they won the clearances and used the momentum whilst it was there's was the game winner. Overall, can't see either team not being there come finals.

There could be a few teething issues with Healesville early. From the GF team to last weeks team there were 9 or 10 different players. Could take a little to gel. They did win 2 out of the 4 qtrs & drew the last qtr. Failing to stop Upwey's momentum in the 2nd cost them the game. After 1 week I still believe that Wandin, Healesville & Olinda are the front runners. Woori will be very dangerous however no depth so could be a couple of injuries away from struggling. Upwey & Mt Eve will be thereabouts. Monbulk probably just off the pace for the 5. Belgrave & Emerald will battle hard. Could be a long year for Warby

There could be a few teething issues with Healesville early. From the GF team to last weeks team there were 9 or 10 different players. Could take a little to gel. They did win 2 out of the 4 qtrs & drew the last qtr. Failing to stop Upwey's momentum in the 2nd cost them the game. After 1 week I still believe that Wandin, Healesville & Olinda are the front runners. Woori will be very dangerous however no depth so could be a couple of injuries away from struggling. Upwey & Mt Eve will be thereabouts. Monbulk probably just off the pace for the 5. Belgrave & Emerald will battle hard. Could be a long year for Warby

Upwey had 8 different players from their 2015 round 18 game, all apart from one played through the juniors - 3 played in the reserves premiership.
Very brave to make statements after 1 round, but I will bravely tip no one will go through undefeated.

Round 2 Tips
Div 1.
Monbulk V OLINDA FERNY CREEK
WANDIN
V Emerald
WOORI YALLOCK V Mt Evelyn
WARBURTON MILLGROVE V HEALSVILLE
UPWEY TECOMA
V Belgrave

Match of the day Woori v Mt Evelyn, great test for Mt Evelyn on a larger ground. We will get a good indication of where they are at as well as knowing they will only improve as new coach stamps his mark on the side. The other 4 games really should be as above, if Olinda, Wandin, H/Ville and Upwey are finals bound then these are the games they just have to go out and win. The 5 will be super tight this year and whoever finishes 6th will be kicking themselves as it will be 1 bad loss that will cost them.
Let's get the local stuff over and then get ready for 2 teams who are at the peak of their football prowess with Collingwood v Essendon.
Should be a blockbuster and due to the blockbuster status, I might even turn on the TV and watch the first quarter.

Round 2 tips!

Div 1
Monbulk v OFCFNC- Olinda
Wandin v Emerald - Wandin to bounce back at home
Woori v Mt Ev- Woori to win at home. Should be a close contest.
Warburton v Healesville- Bloods to open their account.
Upwey v Belgrave- Upwey

Div 2
Gembrook v Seville - Brookers at home
Powelltown v Alex- Have no idea but will go with the Dee's at home.
Thornton v YG - Yarra Glen comfortably
Kinglake v Yea - going with the home team with the inclusion of Campbell Brown!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Round 2 tips!

Div 1
Monbulk v OFCFNC- Olinda
Wandin v Emerald - Wandin to bounce back at home
Woori v Mt Ev- Woori to win at home. Should be a close contest.
Warburton v Healesville- Bloods to open their account.
Upwey v Belgrave- Upwey

Div 2
Gembrook v Seville - Brookers at home
Powelltown v Alex- Have no idea but will go with the Dee's at home.
Thornton v YG - Yarra Glen comfortably
Kinglake v Yea - going with the home team with the inclusion of Campbell Brown!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Big day for Gembrook Champion Andrew Shipp tomorrow at Gembrook.Will be playing his 200th game.lets get around him Brookas and celebrate this great champions achievement.Well done Andrew Champion footballer and Champion bloke in every sense of the word.

Just noticed that there is a clearance in for J marshall coming from Nunawading to Upwey.
He just got a 3rd best on in the ressies that only scored 2 points against Forest Hill last sat in EFL Div 4 in a 186point loss. The seniors who he was probably knocking on the door lost to forest Hill 350 - 21. Not sure why you would want a clearance..:)

Just noticed that there is a clearance in for J marshall coming from Nunawading to Upwey.
He just got a 3rd best on in the ressies that only scored 2 points against Forest Hill last sat in EFL Div 4 in a 186point loss. The seniors who he was probably knocking on the door lost to forest Hill 350 - 21. Not sure why you would want a clearance..:)
Upwey need a bench in the 2's?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He is the son of one of our legends Paul Marshall (brother of David and Ryan Van Hoorn)

He is the son of one of our legends Paul Marshall (brother of David and Ryan Van Hoorn)
That explains it. Going to be a long record breaking year at Nunawading. I'm sure Upwey would be keen to get some of these sons of guns in the future, I know quite a few of the lads sons are playing EFL. Hope the father son rule doesn't bring too many of these kids back for everyone else's sake!

Fairly predictable results across 1st Division this week. Woori off to a good start as is Upwey. Warburton not far off yesterday and Monbulk also bit closer than I expected, boys did well. Some interesting games next week which should give us all a better understanding of who will sit where come the turn.

Fairly predictable results across 1st Division this week. Woori off to a good start as is Upwey. Warburton not far off yesterday and Monbulk also bit closer than I expected, boys did well. Some interesting games next week which should give us all a better understanding of who will sit where come the turn.

Hopefully the weather gods are kind next Saturday as it should be good day of local footy and netball up the mountain with Olinda hosting Wandin. Both of these clubs are currently first and second on the ladder in A, B & D grade netball, first and third in C grade netball and second and third in reserves football with all of these teams being undefeated. In senior footy they are first and fourth with Olinda undefeated and Wandin one win and a loss. Pity they are not drawn to play each other in under 17 netball and that Olinda don't have under 18 football as it would be the whole club versus club scenario. Even though it's early in the season a few bragging rights are up for grabs.

Any word on how the young Upwey player is following incident on Saturday Morning?

Jesse Pandelias suffered what was at first thought may have been a serious neck injury. Jesse, who was playing his first match with the Under Eighteens after coming up from our Junior Club, was ambulanced to hospital and kept their for a few days and, I am informed, had severe bruising to his neck but is now apparently recovering well from his ordeal which is good news for all of us but particularly for his family.

Jesse Pandelias suffered what was at first thought may have been a serious neck injury. Jesse, who was playing his first match with the Under Eighteens after coming up from our Junior Club, was ambulanced to hospital and kept their for a few days and, I am informed, had severe bruising to his neck but is now apparently recovering well from his ordeal which is good news for all of us but particularly for his family.
Enough grief for the Tigers with Brent Pearson recently succumbing to a terrible illness.
Best wishes to all and to the young lad.

Belgrave v warby - warby
Emerald v mt ev - mt ev
Olinda v wandin - olinda
Woori v upwey - woori
Heals vile v monbulk - monbulk

Belgrave v Warby - Warby
Emerald v Mt Ev - Mt Ev
Olinda v Wandin - Wandin
Woori v Upwey - Woori
Healesville v Monbulk -Healesville

Div 2
Alexandra v Yarra Junction - junction
Seville v Kinglake - Kinglake
Yarra Glen v Powelltown - Yarra Glen
Yea v Thornton - Yea

Being risk adverse I went up to Olinda today as I'm not sure that there will be a better day up there weather wise. Both clubs got 3 wins each with Wandin winning A, B & C grade netball and Olinda winning D grade netball and both reserves and senior footy. After half an inch of rain yesterday the ground was in excellent condition, so I guess a pat on the back goes to the local council for that.

In senior footy Wandin was pretty much played off the park for 3 quarters with only the third quarter being close; one goal one to three behinds. Olinda had a very even spread of players but they did have two very good players at either end. Blake Walter kicked a bag (anywhere from 5 to 7) and took some some very strong marks and kicked some terrific goals in a tricky wind. He did miss two from in front, one in the first quarter and one in the last so could have gone close to ten. At the other end of the ground Mick Fowkes was completely outplayed by Luke Hill. Mick ended up deep in the Dogs backline in the third quarter chasing a kick and ended up on the bench not long after. I'm not sure if he played in the last quarter, so maybe he was carrying an injury. Luke has spent time at both Casey and Southport and has definitely learnt how to play full back and he looks a class player indeed.

Wandin wasn't helped by Jake Driessen doing his calf before half time (took no further part in the game) and Robbie Ross and Joel Coombes playing in the twos (apparently had a wedding to go to) and Scott Dwyer still some time off. Still, Olinda was missing Lachie Meadows and Pat Rosier to injury, and Stuart Horner to Box Hill. Olinda look the team to beat at the moment whilst Wandin look as though they are playing without any direction or passion. Wandin didn't kick a goal in the last half and I reckon it would be a while since that's happened.

A couple of big last quarters in 2 other games-Monbulk kicked 5 goals to 2 to lose by 4 points. But what about Belgrave, 9 goals to 1 to lose by 5 points.

Last edited:
Being risk adverse I went up to Olinda today as I'm not sure that there will be a better day up there weather wise. Both clubs got 3 wins each with Wandin winning A, B & C grade netball and Olinda winning D grade netball and both reserves and senior footy. After half an inch of rain yesterday the ground was in excellent condition, so I guess a pat on the back goes to the local council for that.

In senior footy Wandin was pretty much played off the park for 3 quarters with only the third quarter being close; one goal one to three behinds. Olinda had a very even spread of players but they did have two very good players at either end. Blake Walter kicked a bag (anywhere from 5 to 7) and took some some very strong marks and kicked some terrific goals in a tricky wind. He did miss two from in front, one in the first quarter and one in the last so could have gone close to ten. At the other end of the ground Mick Fowkes was completely outplayed by Luke Hill. Mick ended up deep in the Dogs backline in the third quarter chasing a kick and ended up on the bench not long after. I'm not sure if played in the last quarter, so maybe he was carrying an injury. Luke has spent time at both Casey and Southport and has definitely learnt how to play full back and he looks a class player indeed.

Wandin wasn't helped by Jake Driessen doing his calf before half time (took no further part in the game) and Robbie Ross and Joel Coombes playing in the twos (apparently had a wedding to go to) and Scott Dwyer still some time off. Still, Olinda was missing Lachie Meadows and Pat Rosier to injury, and Stuart Horner to Box Hill. Olinda look the team to beat at the moment whilst Wandin look as though they are playing without any direction or passion. Wandin didn't kick a goal inthe last half and I reckon it would be a while since that's happened.

A couple of big last quarters in 2 other games-Monbulk kicked 5 goals to 2 to lose by 4 points. But what about Belgrave, 9 goals to 1 to lose by 5 points.

Warby won by 7 goals that ap was wrong.

Read the thread and it's like PT danced to the tune. Had Yarra G on equally terms at 3/4 time and then
Chopped it up time after time in last 20 to Give up up 5 goals to 2 goals with plenty of chances. PT. should be 3 and 0. Div 2 has the makings of an interesting year

Remove this Banner Ad

Back