SEASON 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tg
As i have stated on numerous occasions the YVMDFL should have considered merging with EFL. I bSed this on the fact that the current structures of EFL and YVMDFL would have allowed for clubs to assimilate ln divisions of similar demographics. It would also increase the number of divisions. I must admit that I am a supporter of the current EFL Division set up of 8 teams per division. So where does that leave The Outer East AFL..Amalgamation with EFL is still a current viable option with say say a current re gigging the top two divisions which would include the likes of Cranbourne, Berwick, Pakenham etc. I have previously stated AFL outer East would probably be a big winner with the Silvans Belgrave sth the Gullys re aligning and Coldstream Chirnside Park and north Croydon agaist clubs of thei6 grading against Yarra GLen Yea kinglake Seville ect
then what happens when the valley clubs go up divisions and can’t compete at the top again?

As i have stated on numerous occasions the YVMDFL should have considered merging with EFL. I bSed this on the fact that the current structures of EFL and YVMDFL would have allowed for clubs to assimilate ln divisions of similar demographics. It would also increase the number of divisions. I must admit that I am a supporter of the current EFL Division set up of 8 teams per division. So where does that leave The Outer East AFL..Amalgamation with EFL is still a current viable option with say say a current re gigging the top two divisions which would include the likes of Cranbourne, Berwick, Pakenham etc. I have previously stated AFL outer East would probably be a big winner with the Silvans Belgrave sth the Gullys re aligning and Coldstream Chirnside Park and north Croydon agaist clubs of thei6 grading against Yarra GLen Yea kinglake Seville ect
I’ll state this... why should anything have been considered?

The league was fine and in my opinion was the envy of many others.

Teams could win a flag building with many locals and minimum money.

I think a lot miss the fact nothing was needed to change. The league wasn’t in crisis

Tg

then what happens when the valley clubs go up divisions and can’t compete at the top again?
The same can be said if a YVMDFL club wins Division one then they are promoted. Then they are in a similar problem as you have advocated. If you have a cuple o say four divisions and the outer east division two (kinglake Alex Powelltown) clubs would be in demographic. The Premier Divisionand say division xnould initiatly be open to clubs with certain criteria. Thus smaller clubs would electto remain in lower divisions. EFL which is arguably one of the most professional leagues in the state. (Netball ould be realigned as per Outer east) hypothetically it would also bs daunting for Fairpark F.C being promoted to the Premier Division.

The Ammos have seven grades of seniors and reserves plus five Third XVIII grades and that seems to work (apart from some clubs struggling with player numbers).

A league can have as many divisions as they want - they just have to cater for the demand that is out there.

The EFL could have Divisions 1, 2 and 3 (for teams of better quality) and then the lower divisions can be geographically based (e.g. West 1, 2, etc. and East 1, 2, etc.). They could have two-up and two-down for promotion and relegation, allowing easy movement between Division 3, 'West 1' and 'East 1'.

And if AFL Outer East wanted, they could try and get clubs like Broadford, Bonnie Doon, Chirnside Park, Coldstream, Croydon North MLOC, Fair Park, Ferntree Gully Eagles, Kilsyth, Panton Hill, Silvan, South Belgrave and The Basin into the fold in an attempt to add another division, who could allow the league to consist of Premier, 1, 2 North and 2 South.

Last edited:
I combined all the hyphenated clubs townships.
Figures were taken from this post: https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/season-2019.1207753/post-60822471
I think it’s also fair to say, based on the numbers, that the equation is more complex than biggest population = best side.
Even within just the traditional valley clubs the population doesn’t seem to have a direct bearing on success with the top 8 being:
Mt Ev
Upwey-Tecoma
Gembrook
Healesville
Alex
Emerald
Belgrave
Warby

Are other towns along the Warburton Highway included? Wesburn, Launching Place, Seville East etc? Is there also a way of looking at the age demographic of those numbers? Easy enough to search a town like Woori Yallock. But with Launching Place next door it would double the population i would guess. Same with Healesville & Badger Creek? I would also guess that Warburton would have an older population than the likes of Yarra Junction, Woori Yallock, Launching Place etc. The only consistent thing is that the South East clubs have a truck load more people to choose from & even more juniors.

The league has voted to introduce a promotion/ relegation process at the end of this year.

Healesville have already expressed their desire to go into division 1.

Premiers of Division 1 will go into Premier Division.

Hmmmmm, article appears regarding Berwick and the EFL, AFLOE mentioned in an article about the ongoing mess that is the Gippsland footy situation and wouldn’t you know it the league suddenly declare that they will be adjusting their promotion/relegation process. We are only 2 months into this shiny new magic league, one suspects the noise is only going to get louder, and the league look unable to control the narrative......

Are other towns along the Warburton Highway included? Wesburn, Launching Place, Seville East etc? Is there also a way of looking at the age demographic of those numbers? Easy enough to search a town like Woori Yallock. But with Launching Place next door it would double the population i would guess. Same with Healesville & Badger Creek? I would also guess that Warburton would have an older population than the likes of Yarra Junction, Woori Yallock, Launching Place etc. The only consistent thing is that the South East clubs have a truck load more people to choose from & even more juniors.

Nah, no adjacent towns.
Good question about the demographics.
I’ll have a look at the 2016 census and see if there’s easily accessible information.

The league has voted to introduce a promotion/ relegation process at the end of this year.

Healesville have already expressed their desire to go into division 1.

Premiers of Division 1 will go into Premier Division.
Why would any of the top sides in division one,would want too go up too premier division,seriously.

With the SEFNL clubs agreement with the Yarra Valley(AFL Outer East) expiring at end of 2020 season, MOST clubs are exploring their OPTIONS.
Clubs are NOT willing to come down to Yarra Valley's level of Football by having MASS EXODUS of PLAYERS.

Lets face it, Berwick, Beaconsfield, Cranbourne and Narre Warren would SMASH ALL TEAMS in Comps(Local) except for two!

Eastern and MPNFL. Could throw in Gippsland Football League (Drouin, Warragul about 45 mins to an hour away approx, closest clubs)

Now, do Clubs forfeit their Netballers to move to Eastern where Premier has, from what i have heard $250k Salary Cap, 1st Div $180k, someone can correct me, no probs.

Do they go to West Gippsland league where Tooradin have gone and doing nicely,(but these teams regularly beat Tooradin by 100 points +)

Southern Footy League, can you imagine Beacy, Berwick travelling to Port Melb, St Kilda etc and Netball is forfeited.

MPNFL is a dead horse, no good flogging it, they are full of muppets.

AS YOU Yarra Valley Clubs know, NETBALL is a vital component of Footy Clubs, in fact Narre Warren would not be where they are or have had success if it not for their Netball.

Which gets back to WHERE to these CLUBS go?

Would not be surprised if AFLVIC do something BIG with the EASTERN/SOUTH EASTERN REGION of Football!

From the mouth of an AFLSE person to an Umpiring group was "Ëxpect more changes through this Area, up NORTH and EAST within the next few years!" (NOV2018)

Whether he / she means boundaries or leagues, it wasn't conveyed.

I say SIT DOWN, HANG ON and WAIT, for SHORTLY your dreams may come TRUE and pain be EASED!

Sounds like the
With the SEFNL clubs agreement with the Yarra Valley(AFL Outer East) expiring at end of 2020 season, MOST clubs are exploring their OPTIONS.
Clubs are NOT willing to come down to Yarra Valley's level of Football by having MASS EXODUS of PLAYERS.

Lets face it, Berwick, Beaconsfield, Cranbourne and Narre Warren would SMASH ALL TEAMS in Comps(Local) except for two!

Eastern and MPNFL. Could throw in Gippsland Football League (Drouin, Warragul about 45 mins to an hour away approx, closest clubs)

Now, do Clubs forfeit their Netballers to move to Eastern where Premier has, from what i have heard $250k Salary Cap, 1st Div $180k, someone can correct me, no probs.

Do they go to West Gippsland league where Tooradin have gone and doing nicely,(but these teams regularly beat Tooradin by 100 points +)

Southern Footy League, can you imagine Beacy, Berwick travelling to Port Melb, St Kilda etc and Netball is forfeited.

MPNFL is a dead horse, no good flogging it, they are full of muppets.

AS YOU Yarra Valley Clubs know, NETBALL is a vital component of Footy Clubs, in fact Narre Warren would not be where they are or have had success if it not for their Netball.

Which gets back to WHERE to these CLUBS go?

Would not be surprised if AFLVIC do something BIG with the EASTERN/SOUTH EASTERN REGION of Football!

From the mouth of an AFLSE person to an Umpiring group was "Ëxpect more changes through this Area, up NORTH and EAST within the next few years!" (NOV2018)

Whether he / she means boundaries or leagues, it wasn't conveyed.

I say SIT DOWN, HANG ON and WAIT, for SHORTLY your dreams may come TRUE and pain be EASED!

Sounds exactly like the rhetoric pedalled from league HQ. Clubs can’t afford to “SIT” “WAIT” or “HANG ON”, players are and will leave in droves. The league have cooked this and are now trying to scramble to fix it as best they can.
The MPNFL won’t take them and don’t have to.
These “towns” mentioned above are now firmly inside the urban sprawl and by effect suburbs. They aren’t rural and as such should be playing suburban football. They are too big to be playing country footy now, Berwick all but admitted it in the article regarding them and the EFL talk. This was never going to work from the get go and the reality is now in full fruition. There was nothing wrong with the Valley the way it was. Quite simply the exact same problems that existed in the old SEFNL have been transplanted into the old Valley competition. Olinda played in a reserve grade GF 8 months ago and tomorrow have 12 blokes to play reserve grade game. ITS NOT WORKING OR VIABLE.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well you gotta hope AFLVIC come in over the top rope at the end of this year then!!!
I'm inclined to be thinking a merger between EFL & Outer East is more likely than not and Cranbourne will be in MPNFL by end of 2020! Hands will be forced and negotiations will be nutted out! Greater East hear thy sing!

Well you gotta hope AFLVIC come in over the top rope at the end of this year then!!!
I'm inclined to be thinking a merger between EFL & Outer East is more likely than not and Cranbourne will be in MPNFL by end of 2020! Hands will be forced and negotiations will be nutted out! Greater East hear thy sing!

I think you'll find that AFL Victoria interventions always make things worse, not better.

The EFL is an independent organisation and will not be dictated to.

Tim Scott explained on this forum last October that clubs forfeited their voting rights on competition decisions when the AFLYR Commission was voted in 4-5 years ago. Subsequent events have shown that perhaps it is important for clubs to have a say in their own destiny.

The AFL Outer East Commission is chaired by Tony Mitchell.

They belong in the SFL, not the EFL. That’s their natural fit geographically.

People say the SFL isn’t strong enough... of course it’s not. Clubs that should be in it and making it a strong competition are all off in other leagues. The old SEFL clubs, now in the “Outer East”. Plenty of genuine metro clubs playing in a country league in the MPNFL - Chelsea, Bonbeach, Seaford etc country? Lol. Noble Park in the EFL (Balwyn in the EFL is the right fit imo, geographically makes sense).

Of course the SFL isn’t strong - it’s geographic area has clubs in a hotchpotch of leagues all over the place. Draw a line from Frankston west to Pakenham, and then up the freeway into the inner suburbs. Not sure there’s any real reason why any club in that triangle shouldn’t be in the SFL.

Pull all that together, get the right people run it and the SFL would be a powerhouse. So what if the power shifts to the outer suburbs, that’s just natural population and demographic shifts. It’s the same in the EFL where the inner suburban clubs (Balwyn aside) aren’t as strong as those out in the burbs.

The EFL is already five divisions and goes all the way up to the Yarra River. There’s plenty of clubs south of the Monash Freeway to make a powerful footy league.

They belong in the SFL, not the EFL. That’s their natural fit geographically.

People say the SFL isn’t strong enough... of course it’s not. Clubs that should be in it and making it a strong competition are all off in other leagues. The old SEFL clubs, now in the “Outer East”. Plenty of genuine metro clubs playing in a country league in the MPNFL - Chelsea, Bonbeach, Seaford etc country? Lol. Noble Park in the EFL (Balwyn in the EFL is the right fit imo, geographically makes sense).

Of course the SFL isn’t strong - it’s geographic area has clubs in a hotchpotch of leagues all over the place. Draw a line from Frankston west to Pakenham, and then up the freeway into the inner suburbs. Not sure there’s any real reason why any club in that triangle shouldn’t be in the SFL.

Pull all that together, get the right people run it and the SFL would be a powerhouse. So what if the power shifts to the outer suburbs, that’s just natural population and demographic shifts. It’s the same in the EFL where the inner suburban clubs (Balwyn aside) aren’t as strong as those out in the burbs.

The EFL is already five divisions and goes all the way up to the Yarra River. There’s plenty of clubs south of the Monash Freeway to make a powerful footy league.
You wish bunk,never going to happen

You wish bunk,never going to happen

I don’t wish, it’s just the most logical solution. I’d be surprised if AFL Vic were keen to let these old SEFL clubs into the EFL as they’ve had no appetite for metro “super leagues” that extend beyond their geographic areas in the past. Heidelberg tried to join the EFL too and AFLV blocked it despite the EFL clubs accepting them.

There’s plenty of population and strong clubs in what is now the south eastern suburbs (not country by a long shot), it’s just all very poorly organised in legacy leagues. That’s whats led to this stupid “AFL Outer East” stuff up, the league merger should never have happened.

The key is to fix the MPNFL (incl the old SEFL clubs that are now stupidly in the Yarra Valley) and SFL issue.

Yeah, Cranny are ****ed,the small towners, any way good to here that most of there conquerers will be playing Eastern footy next season so the other small towners will be competetive.

I don’t wish, it’s just the most logical solution. I’d be surprised if AFL Vic were keen to let these old SEFL clubs into the EFL as they’ve had no appetite for metro “super leagues” that extend beyond their geographic areas in the past. Heidelberg tried to join the EFL too and AFLV blocked it despite the EFL clubs accepting them.

There’s plenty of population and strong clubs in what is now the south eastern suburbs (not country by a long shot), it’s just all very poorly organised in legacy leagues. That’s whats led to this stupid “AFL Outer East” stuff up, the league merger should never have happened.

The key is to fix the MPNFL (incl the old SEFL clubs that are now stupidly in the Yarra Valley) and SFL issue.

I will say it again, as an Umpire with SUA, we would have have a fantastically close two divisions of Footy with Berwick, Cranny, Beacy and Narre playing in those MPNFL comps. The closeness of the standard of footy would be minimal and would provide entertaining matches every week across all games.
BUT, becuse back 15 years or so ago the casey cardinia clubs "wronged"the MPNFL the öld" heads down there depise them ans wish them nothing but to not exist. THIS is how much "hatred"some of the people in charge of MPNFL clubs have for the clubs such as Berwick Cranny Beacy and Narre!!!!! Lets not dance around around, they would not piss on these club if they were on fire!
That is what has been the elephant in the room for this whole debacle, PIG HEADED Southern BASED MPNFL CLUBS who can not let a grudge go!

I will say it again, as an Umpire with SUA, we would have have a fantastically close two divisions of Footy with Berwick, Cranny, Beacy and Narre playing in those MPNFL comps. The closeness of the standard of footy would be minimal and would provide entertaining matches every week across all games.
BUT, becuse back 15 years or so ago the casey cardinia clubs "wronged"the MPNFL the öld" heads down there depise them ans wish them nothing but to not exist. THIS is how much "hatred"some of the people in charge of MPNFL clubs have for the clubs such as Berwick Cranny Beacy and Narre!!!!! Lets not dance around around, they would not piss on these club if they were on fire!
That is what has been the elephant in the room for this whole debacle, PIG HEADED Southern BASED MPNFL CLUBS who can not let a grudge go!
Wronged them in what way?

Is it a grudge or do they just not want to travel and play further away?

I recall many of them were also against swapping the Nepean/Peninsula conferences for Divisions 1 and 2, because they didn’t want to travel north.

Surely they should look at starting their own league. Sorrento, Rye, Rosebud, Dromana, Red Hill, Crib Point, Hastings, Tyabb, Somerville, Mt Eliza, Mornington.

If that’s what they want. It’s 11 clubs.

Then you have Frankston Bombers, Pearcedale, YCW, Karingal, Langwarrin, Devon Meadows, Cranbourne, Pines, Seaford, Bonbeach, Chelsea, Edi Aspi, Doveton, Narre, Berwick, Beacy, Officer and Pakenham. 18 clubs, 2 divisions.

Bunk, travel is an excuse, I will tell them a little secret, football watchers will go see a decent game of footy, players will generally be excited to play a decent game of competitive footy.
Before umpiring, I would follow Narre to Frankston, Chelsea, Seaford, Langwarrin on a Saturday then Sunday it was Werribee, Williamstown, Port Melb, Sandy, Frankston, Coburg, Presto, Box Hill.
Travel is just a convenient excuse. MPNFL has two divisions within two two division, in fact make that 3 divisions within division two. Just look at their results and ladders. With the added SEFNL clubs they would have 3 evenly matched divisions. Maybe two divisions in the 3rd. Division as Pearcedale and Crib Point are non performers atm.

Players will be leaving Berwick and Narre next year
to play against better opposition week in week out. This will even the OuterEast Comp a little bit, by weakening clubs.
Of course I know, you can’t get blood out of a stone or that the horse has bolted ect, but that’s my view.
It looks like we have to live with the fact that Yarr Valley board thought that they had a better level of footy and could help grow their comp and make it. Bigger and better to compete against rival leagues.
This is now close to crisis time for ALL clubs in the Premier Division, Narre is committed to their Netballers and will not be leaving for Eastern or Southern.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back