Season 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Huge win for Berwick, definitely wasn’t being smart in asking the question. Well done to Berwick
solid win by Berwick,good on them, surely narre and beacy will be joining them next season in the EFNL,can not see any of the yarra ranges or even Doveton and pakenham getting to there standard.

Don't think either are going anywhere in a hurry. They are both happy in the set up and have no intention of leaving especially after seeing what has happened from a netball perspective which has caused some division within Berwick. From a YV perspective, Woori are going to be the one to watch. Play really good footy and strong across each line.

Well done to Alexandra too - great start to the year and led by a really astute and quality coach. Great to see the Rebels leading the competition.

Beaconsfield,narre,cranbourne..... Daylight fourth..... Finals on big grounds compounds this.... All of the valley teams are weaker than they where in 2019. None of them have the Junior numbers to supplement their lists like the Top end STh east teams. If Beaconsfield and narre (the playing groups) are happy and want to stay it will only get worse.

Beaconsfield,narre,cranbourne..... Daylight fourth..... Finals on big grounds compounds this.... All of the valley teams are weaker than they where in 2019. None of them have the Junior numbers to supplement their lists like the Top end STh east teams. If Beaconsfield and narre (the playing groups) are happy and want to stay it will only get worse.

Why would the good YV kids stay?

100 percent agree with you,it's not only depth that's a big problem,it's fitness levels as well.

It's not fitness levels at all. It's weight of numbers.
There’s numerous examples of clubs that are successful with small populations
Maffra - smallest town, won 8 of the last 20 senior premierships, played in 13 grand finals from memory, won all 3 grades in 2019
Koroit
Myrtleford
Just to name a few

Old Yarra ranges teams are adapting to the south east game style it will take time and junior development to bridge the gap.

I was certainly a big critic of the merge in its infancy, what I see now is our standard of footy is improving, our recruiting is improving and our crowds are bigger.

Maffra - smallest town, won 8 of the last 20 senior premierships, played in 13 grand finals from memory, won all 3 grades in 2019
Koroit
Myrtleford
Just to name a few

Old Yarra ranges teams are adapting to the south east game style it will take time and junior development to bridge the gap.

I was certainly a big critic of the merge in its infancy, what I see now is our standard of footy is improving, our recruiting is improving and our crowds are bigger.

Drawing a very long bow there.

Deadset longest of long bows. Last time I checked none of those towns were playing against suburbs.

What about South Belgrave? Population of just over 1,500 with clubs in most nearby towns/suburbs too and playing against big suburbs.
Took a bit of time to adjust to playing different style footy when moved to EFL, but competitive enough now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What about South Belgrave? Population of just over 1,500 with clubs in most nearby towns/suburbs too and playing against big suburbs.
Took a bit of time to adjust to playing different style footy when moved to EFL, but competitive enough now

For now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The reason why south have been successful ex yarra valley...they have your game plan...wait of numbers.

Your right some of these towns play cities

Myrtleford 3000
City of Albury 55000 - 2 sides
City of Wodonga 44000 - 2 sides

maffra 6400
Traralgon 25000
Moe 16000

Not sure if Myrtleford is the best example to use, Brendan - they last won a senior flag in 1970!

But your point about the standard improving is no doubt true. Interesting to hear that the crowds are up as well.

Personally, I used to enjoy the YVMDFL style of play - long kicks up the guts to the big marking contest on those small grounds. It might not have been very scientific, but it was entertaining.

Koroit
Myrtleford
Just to name a few

Junior development is a tricky one as you need to have juniors first to be able to develop them.

Olinda and Wandin have dropped their Under 19s back to Div 1, presumably as they can't compete with the big SE clubs.
In Div 1 Seville and Belgrave don't even have U19s due to a lack of numbers and a couple of other clubs can't afford any injuries as they are already fielding bare minimum 16 players. Seville do have an U17s team playing in Div 2 instead of fielding that team in the Junior comp.
Only 3 Div 2 teams can even field an U17s team - none have an U19s side.
For Warburton-Millgrove, Powelltown and Yarra Junction combined their juniors play at the Wesburn team predominantly with only Yarra Junction able to field a single stand alone team in the U11s.
Narre Warren, with 3-4 feeder clubs, have so many juniors that they can field two sides in U19s.

The standard of footy does seem to be improving somewhat and the crowds are possibly bigger (mainly due to the additional female participation) and a number of clubs have very good facilities now so there are definite positives. The clubs in their various Divisions seem to be happy where they are and the challenges they face. It will be interesting to see where Upwey, Wandin, Woori and Olinda sit on the ladder by the half way mark.

Junior development however will still be largely impacted by population size and age demographic within the club catchment area.

Woori requested to drop their 19s back also and where denied, gembrook and woori with a combined under 17s side (great initiative to get the kids playing) this year because of lack of numbers.

Crowds are up because they couldnt come in 2020 not because of the standard of footy. Competitive games of footy is what draws your community to your games.

Competitive games of footy is what draws players to your club.

Kinglake looked to be packed anzac day, wasnt because of the brand of footy being played.

No one will ever convince me that the merger wasnt just a opportunistic money grab. The only thing that saves it is if it becomes regional divisions.

Who knows what the future holds with the competition but realistically it's still very much in its infancy. I also used to love the way footy was played in the YV. Some of the toughest contests I have ever seen on bogheaps. No wonder many higher profile and skilled players struggled when they came to the league.

The footy has certainly improved since the merge and as Brendan stated it will take time to evolve. There will be more changes and developments but things are going ok despite there's being a gap between top and bottom sides. Clubs are happy and crowds are way up along with significantly improved facilities. I watched the new Titans team the other week and their support was fantastic.

Looking forward to the future and seeing footy improve across the region.

Junior development is a tricky one as you need to have juniors first to be able to develop them.

Olinda and Wandin have dropped their Under 19s back to Div 1, presumably as they can't compete with the big SE clubs.
In Div 1 Seville and Belgrave don't even have U19s due to a lack of numbers and a couple of other clubs can't afford any injuries as they are already fielding bare minimum 16 players. Seville do have an U17s team playing in Div 2 instead of fielding that team in the Junior comp.
Only 3 Div 2 teams can even field an U17s team - none have an U19s side.
For Warburton-Millgrove, Powelltown and Yarra Junction combined their juniors play at the Wesburn team predominantly with only Yarra Junction able to field a single stand alone team in the U11s.
Narre Warren, with 3-4 feeder clubs, have so many juniors that they can field two sides in U19s.

The standard of footy does seem to be improving somewhat and the crowds are possibly bigger (mainly due to the additional female participation) and a number of clubs have very good facilities now so there are definite positives. The clubs in their various Divisions seem to be happy where they are and the challenges they face. It will be interesting to see where Upwey, Wandin, Woori and Olinda sit on the ladder by the half way mark.

Junior development however will still be largely impacted by population size and age demographic within the club catchment area.

Quick look at the junior competition shows there is 9 Under 17 teams with one team a combine of Woori/Gembrook. Powelltown no junior program at all while Yarra Junction have a 10's and a Under 11's with 13 year old's on permits. Wesburn who I believe are aligned to Warburton field all stand alone teams. They however have no Under 19's.

Woori, Healesville, Wandin have a full list of teams although Woori are combined in the Under 17's. It would be fair to say that a majority of Under 17's are making up the Under 19 teams for a lot of clubs plus permits. Compare this to the new clubs who have two sometimes three teams in each age group.

Last edited:
Has anyone seen Powelltown play? A lot of off season hype but saw they lost to Kinglake last week. Are they still premiership favourites?
Good to see Alex open the season with a 2-0 record
Tough start for broadford into Div 2
And will Berwick win a game in EFL?

Players that don’t train getting senior games is having a negative effect out the mill.

Players that don’t train getting senior games is having a negative effect out the mill.

Heard the same news. Bayliss bringing in his mates hasn't necessarily endeared everyone within the close knit community club. Not sure why the club finished up Iacono as they were very competitive and on the right path. Some guys being accused of just taking the coin!

Heard the same news. Bayliss bringing in his mates hasn't necessarily endeared everyone within the close knit community club. Not sure why the club finished up Iacono as they were very competitive and on the right path. Some guys being accused of just taking the coin!

Whole club didn’t train at all Tuesday night even though they’ve been training indoors. Tells you a bit about the culture of the place.

Would you expect anything different from Bayliss? Look at his past record of clubs he’s been to and reasons for leaving...why you would ever put him as head coach is beyond me, Let’s hope powelltown recover from this poor decision.
Senior players being payed regardless the amount and not turning up to training, then rolling up on a Saturday is a piss take. Let the rott begin

Whole club didn’t train at all Tuesday night even though they’ve been training indoors. Tells you a bit about the culture of the place.
Don't blame the players for not training... only ever played at powelltown on one occasion...that was enough for me... every other time I had to play up there...I unfortunately devoloped hamstring tightness and couldn't make the trip.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back