Season 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Some interesting results over the weekend and a very close one for our boys, unfortunately going down by a solitary point. Been a solid start to their 1st Premier league season. Kinglake appeared to good for Junction and Wandin had a 9 goal straight last qrt to run over Woori. Hoping the weather is the same this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The Division 2 big dance is finally almost upon us. The two standout teams of the season - Powelltown and Kinglake - will battle it out for the ultimate prize on the wide open spaces of the Don Road Sporting Complex in Healesville. The Lakers pieced everything together against Junction after quarter-time in last Sunday’s prelim. They were a joy to watch and thoroughly deserve their place in the grand final. Small defender Ben White kept the dangerous Sam Morton goalless and he was well supported by a sound backline, which restricted the Eagles to a mere five goals for the day. The Lakers’ back half face one hell of a test on Sunday afternoon trying to nullify a Demons forward line consisting of Joel Perry (joint league B&F winner), Michael Fowkes, Dean Roy, Garry Sheppard and Joel Dagher. It’s simple - whoever wins the midfield battle will win the game, as they both have the firepower up forward to kick a winning score. Both midfields are very evenly matched, so I am expecting it to be a close contest.

I believe Powelltown - a club that has been in the wilderness for more than three decades - will win by 14 points. A premiership will mean everything to its handful of passionate volunteers, including current president Geoff Mooney, Peter and Judy Podolinsky, Steven “Apples” Sanders, Brett Robinson, Chris “Scrooge” Simmonds and Kevin Walker, just to name a few. On a side note, well done to Powelltown captain and star ruckman Ben Wratten, who won his third consecutive league B&F last night. South Melbourne great Bobby Skilton - winner of three Brownlow Medals - said that he would trade all of them in for a premiership dangler. I daresay the inspirational Wratten would do the same thing if it meant guaranteed silverware for his beloved Powelly. As for the reserves grand final, the undefeated Warburton should be too strong for Kinglake. The Lakers, who lost to Warby by 46 points in the qualifying final, were bolstered by the additions of senior coach Andrew Fairchild and Ethan Robinson in the 10-goal thumping of Alex. However, they will need everything to go right if they are to knock off the Burras - a side that has 22 contributors and no weak link. As such, I will be tipping Warburton to prevail by 26 points.

Woori Yallock won't be happy returning to Chandler Reserve. They finish second and cop the smallest ground for both finals which clearly doesn't suit them.

The Division 2 big dance is finally almost upon us. The two standout teams of the season - Powelltown and Kinglake - will battle it out for the ultimate prize on the wide open spaces of the Don Road Sporting Complex in Healesville. The Lakers pieced everything together against Junction after quarter-time in last Sunday’s prelim. They were a joy to watch and thoroughly deserve their place in the grand final. Small defender Ben White kept the dangerous Sam Morton goalless and he was well supported by a sound backline, which restricted the Eagles to a mere five goals for the day. The Lakers’ back half face one hell of a test on Sunday afternoon trying to nullify a Demons forward line consisting of Joel Perry (joint league B&F winner), Michael Fowkes, Dean Roy, Garry Sheppard and Joel Dagher. It’s simple - whoever wins the midfield battle will win the game, as they both have the firepower up forward to kick a winning score. Both midfields are very evenly matched, so I am expecting it to be a close contest.

I believe Powelltown - a club that has been in the wilderness for more than three decades - will win by 14 points. A premiership will mean everything to its handful of passionate volunteers, including current president Geoff Mooney, Peter and Judy Podolinsky, Steven “Apples” Sanders, Brett Robinson, Chris “Scrooge” Simmonds and Kevin Walker, just to name a few. On a side note, well done to Powelltown captain and star ruckman Ben Wratten, who won his third consecutive league B&F last night. South Melbourne great Bobby Skilton - winner of three Brownlow Medals - said that he would trade all of them in for a premiership dangler. I daresay the inspirational Wratten would do the same thing if it meant guaranteed silverware for his beloved Powelly. As for the reserves grand final, the undefeated Warburton should be too strong for Kinglake. The Lakers, who lost to Warby by 46 points in the qualifying final, were bolstered by the additions of senior coach Andrew Fairchild and Ethan Robinson in the 10-goal thumping of Alex. However, they will need everything to go right if they are to knock off the Burras - a side that has 22 contributors and no weak link. As such, I will be tipping Warburton to prevail by 26 points.
Nice write up Maestro. I mentioned weeks ago that Div 2 & Premier were all but over. Powelly & Narre were a sure thing. Nothing much has changed. It may be close up to 1/2 time but Powellly will pull away for a minimum 6 goal win (could get even uglier late when Kinglake know the flag has gone). I have no idea who any of the "passionate volunteers"are for Powelly but every club has them and it is great to see rewards for them at the end of the year. However after some info from a previous poster im sure it would mean more to Sanders if he was playing. Having said that im not sure you can criticize a coach for picking his best team to win a premiership

Nice write up Maestro. I mentioned weeks ago that Div 2 & Premier were all but over. Powelly & Narre were a sure thing. Nothing much has changed. It may be close up to 1/2 time but Powellly will pull away for a minimum 6 goal win (could get even uglier late when Kinglake know the flag has gone). I have no idea who any of the "passionate volunteers"are for Powelly but every club has them and it is great to see rewards for them at the end of the year. However after some info from a previous poster im sure it would mean more to Sanders if he was playing. Having said that im not sure you can criticize a coach for picking his best team to win a premiership

Would be a huge choke by both teams.

I do write up in NFNL big footy page so thought would do one for Powelltown vs Kinglake grand final (a number of ex NFNL players in Kinglake side.

They have played each other 4 times with it standing 2 all
Round 3 Kinglake 18-13-121 defeated Powelltown 7-13-55
Round 9 Powelltown 26-22-178 defeated Kinglake 20-4-124
Round 16 Kinglake 16-8-104 defeated Powelltown 10-13-73
2nd semi final Powelltown 11-9-75 defeated Kinglake 7-10-52.

Learning goalkickers
Powelltown
Joel Perry - 71
Michael Fowkes - 32
Garry Sheppard - 22
Jarrod Bayliss - 19
Dean Roy - 18
Ben Wratten - 17
Russell Cowan - 15

Kinglake
Damian Pywell - 44
Matt Langford - 21
Jed Tyrell - 20
Mason McAllister - 18
Bailey Robinson - 17
Leigh Gilbert - 16
Chris Horman - 16

Times named in best players
Powelltown
Ben Wratten - 12
Josh Johnson - 10
Russell Cowan - 7
Sam Meadows - 7

Kinglake
Bailey Robinson - 15
Matt Coen - 10
Jack Crowe - 9
Mason McAllister - 7

Team of the year
Powelltown 5
Ruck - Ben Wratten
Back pocket - Josh Taylor
Half back flank - James Ashby
Centre - Russell Cowan
Centre Half forward - Joel Perry

Kinglake
Back pocket - Ben White
Centre half back - Matt Coen
Wing - Leigh Gilbert
Half forward flank - Mason McAllister
Forward pocket - Damian Pywell
Head coach - Andrew Fairchild.

Top goal kickers in the four matches played between the teams
Powelltown
Joel Perry - 11
Michael Fowkes - 8
Mitchell McLaughlin - 6 (all in one game)
Chris Moreland - 5
Jarrod Bayliss - 5
Jayden Mullen - 5

Kinglake
Damian Pywell - 11
Matt Langford - 7
Will Graf - 6
Jack Crowe - 4
Bailey Robinson - 4
Jed Tyrell - 4

Powelltown
Average points for: 123
Average points against: 84

Kinglake
Average points for:103
Average points against: 68

The 2 best sides of the year, offensive power of Powelltown vs defensive setup of Kinglake.

Some great match up
Team of year selection Joel Perry vs Matt Coen
Chris Moreland vs Leigh Gilbert
Jarrod Bayliss vs Bailey Robinson
Matt Langford vs Jayden Mullen
Mitch Cadusch vs Damian Pywell

Where does Michael Fowkes line up, names at CHB 2 weeks ago but does he go forward with Ben Wratten to try and stretch Kinglake backline

Ruckman Jason Walker and Luke Hannah will have big jobs to try and provide first use to respective on ball divisions.

Can Mitchell McLaughlin have another 6 goal game or can Jack Crowe or Mason McAllister play that role for Kinglake?

Wildcard:
Powelltown - Dean Roy, has only played the 8 games however is a class player and one who get jump up for Powelltown

Kinglake: Jake McNamara has only played the 6 games and only once against Powelltown. The former Greensborough NFNL division 1 player could prove a big threat in Kinglake’s forward line.

Will coach Bayliss and Fairchild spring any surprise selections or positional changes this week?

It’s going to be a terrific game, best of luck to both teams.

In the reserves we have undefeated Warburton-Millgrove taking on Kinglake.

I am lead to believe it’s Kinglake’s first ever reserves grand final team in clubs history which dates back to 1925. Well done to all concerned if that is the case.

Warburton will go in as hot favourites though as they have played Kinglake 4 times for 4 wins and won convincingly two weeks ago in second semi final.

Good luck to both teams.

I look forward to hearing reports as I will be at Preston City Oval on Sunday with Division 1 NFNL 1st semi final between Montmorency vs West Preston

Last edited:
Woori Yallock won't be happy returning to Chandler Reserve. They finish second and cop the smallest ground for both finals which clearly doesn't suit them.

Not sure it’s just the ground size, a few injuries prior and late in Saturday’s game and no great depth in their reserves a contributor.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure it’s just the ground size, a few injuries prior and late in Saturday’s game and no great depth in their reserves a contributor.

Young Spencer and Ryan have come in and made the adjustment. They play the big grounds better than most.

Parking will no doubt be the same there this week as last week. With 5 different football and 5 different netball teams and limited spots inside the ground and nothing outside but the High School

Get there early

Parking will no doubt be the same there this week as last week. With 5 different football and 5 different netball teams and limited spots inside the ground and nothing outside but the High School

Get there early

Yes and us volunteers cop it.

Nightmare there last Sunday.

Warburton-Millgrove vs Kinglake reserves grand final.

The 2 best teams do battle for the 5th time this season. Warburton have been undefeated and clearly deserve favouritism as they have defeated the Lakers 4 out of 4 times.

For the Lakers, they have only suffered the 4 defeats for the season

Leading goalkickers from both clubs fill the top 9 spots in the competition

Damien Egan - 34 - Warby
Brendan Howlett - 32 - Lakers
Brent Freeman - 24 - Lakers
Ashley Taylor - 24 - Warby
Justin Banbury - 24 - Lakers
Joshua Reid - 18 - Warby
Jackson Baker - 17 - Lakers
Matt Sidari - 16 - Warby
Lee Weir - 16 - Warby

Times in best
Warburton-Millgrove
Josh Read - 6
Marcel Kocher - 6
Brayden Ferguson - 6
Matt Godwnzi - 5

Kinglake
Jamie Chalmers - 13
Andrew Griffiths - 9
Michael Bongailas - 8
Brent Freeman - 7

Warburton-Millgrove have 15 players who have played senior footy this year
Shannon Noonan - 10 senior
Josh Sharp - 9
Jackson Jones - 7
Brayden Ferguson - 5
Dale Morris - 5
Matt Sidari - 3
Lee Weir - 3
And then a number of players who have played 1 or 2 senior games and this is definitely a strength of the Warburton side

Kinglake have both sides playing so have the ability of picking players across both teams. They have 6 players who have played seniors this year
Thomas McErlain - 12
Ethan Robinson - 8
Andrew Fairchild - 8
Joel McDonald - 7
John Burns - 5
Justin Banbury - 3

In looking at both sides from 2 weeks ago, Warburton-Millgrove have made 1 change bringing in Shannon Noonan.

For Kinglake they have made 4 changes and bring in Ethan Robinson, Thomas McErlain, Andrew Fairchild and John Burns. Can these inclusions close the 2nd semi final gap of 46 points for the Lakers.

It should be a great game and best of luck to both teams.

In the Senior game, I have done a previous write up.

Powelltown have made no changes to their 2nd semi final side.

Kinglake have made the one change, Jake McNamara in for coach Andrew Fairchild who as mentioned above will line up at full forward for Kinglake reserves.

Best of luck to both teams.

Warburton-Millgrove vs Kinglake reserves grand final.

The 2 best teams do battle for the 5th time this season. Warburton have been undefeated and clearly deserve favouritism as they have defeated the Lakers 4 out of 4 times.

For the Lakers, they have only suffered the 4 defeats for the season

Leading goalkickers from both clubs fill the top 9 spots in the competition

Damien Egan - 34 - Warby
Brendan Howlett - 32 - Lakers
Brent Freeman - 24 - Lakers
Ashley Taylor - 24 - Warby
Justin Banbury - 24 - Lakers
Joshua Reid - 18 - Warby
Jackson Baker - 17 - Lakers
Matt Sidari - 16 - Warby
Lee Weir - 16 - Warby

Times in best
Warburton-Millgrove
Josh Read - 6
Marcel Kocher - 6
Brayden Ferguson - 6
Matt Godwnzi - 5

Kinglake
Jamie Chalmers - 13
Andrew Griffiths - 9
Michael Bongailas - 8
Brent Freeman - 7

Warburton-Millgrove have 15 players who have played senior footy this year
Shannon Noonan - 10 senior
Josh Sharp - 9
Jackson Jones - 7
Brayden Ferguson - 5
Dale Morris - 5
Matt Sidari - 3
Lee Weir - 3
And then a number of players who have played 1 or 2 senior games and this is definitely a strength of the Warburton side

Kinglake have both sides playing so have the ability of picking players across both teams. They have 6 players who have played seniors this year
Thomas McErlain - 12
Ethan Robinson - 8
Andrew Fairchild - 8
Joel McDonald - 7
John Burns - 5
Justin Banbury - 3

In looking at both sides from 2 weeks ago, Warburton-Millgrove have made 1 change bringing in Shannon Noonan.

For Kinglake they have made 4 changes and bring in Ethan Robinson, Thomas McErlain, Andrew Fairchild and John Burns. Can these inclusions close the 2nd semi final gap of 46 points for the Lakers.

It should be a great game and best of luck to both teams.

In the Senior game, I have done a previous write up.

Powelltown have made no changes to their 2nd semi final side.

Kinglake have made the one change, Jake McNamara in for coach Andrew Fairchild who as mentioned above will line up at full forward for Kinglake reserves.

Best of luck to both teams.

Who won D2 seniors? No result on the Outer East F L web site at 8PM is disappointing.

Powelltown won, is on the Outer East Facebook page, not sure where you are looking
7b55d94ae5036bef7355f25f5e8e1f7b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back