Stoddy

Team Captain
Sep 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Portland Trail Blazers
Seasons 2010 marks the last season of the AFL as we know it today. The introduction of GC17 in 2011 is the first major alteration to the competition since port adelaide in '97. We will say goodbye to to things such as the 22 round season, your team playing every round and more than likely the top. The competition will never be the same again, it truly will be a new era for the AFL. I know i'll be savouring this season. What about you?

The 2011 premiership will have jsut as much prestiege and relevance as the 2010 premiership. And the 1897 premiership.

Nothing os significance will chage, aside from some normal evolution which has been present since the beginning.

Looking forward to having a team i can follow with interest ( apart from my own ) My old man lives on the Gold Coast and loves his footy. He is a Port Adelaide supporter, but he'll be going to live games on the Gold Coast.

Seasons 2010 marks the last season of the AFL as we know it today. The introduction of GC17 in 2011 is the first major alteration to the competition since port adelaide in '97. We will say goodbye to to things such as the 22 round season, your team playing every round and more than likely the top. The competition will never be the same again, it truly will be a new era for the AFL. I know i'll be savouring this season. What about you?

So, you want a 22 Round season, which is unfair for all clubs? That's interesting.....At least with more teams coming in, we potentially can have a more even draw. We can have just an 18 round season, where everyone plays each other once, and rotate the teams, so the away team would be at home, the following year. That could work out, especially, if they're going to introduce a longer finals series.

So, you want a 22 Round season, which is unfair for all clubs? That's interesting.....At least with more teams coming in, we potentially can have a more even draw. We can have just an 18 round season, where everyone plays each other once, and rotate the teams, so the away team would be at home, the following year. That could work out, especially, if they're going to introduce a longer finals series.

17 round season.

I guess you weren't around in the early 90's when it was a 24 round season and you didn't get to see your team each week. Whose to say it wont be 22 rounds again and your team playing each week when GWS joins?
Surely they'd cut the pre season cup back and extend the season to 24 rounds when GWS come in.

Otherwise thats two less teams you play in a season.

Surely they'd cut the pre season cup back and extend the season to 24 rounds when GWS come in.

If the AFL want the Pre-Season cup still in, it would make sense, if you shorten the AFL season to 18 rounds when the GWS team comes in, wouldn't it? That way, it you can have breaks and bring the State of Origin games, if they wanted to.

What's with the idea that more teams equals less games/rounds?

I will be livid if the AFL reduces the amount of games played once West Sydney join the comp in 2012 to say only 17/18 rounds.

It is common sense that with an increase in teams leads to an increase in games to accomodate the change.

Anything less than a 24 game Home and Away season is a disaster IMO (not including pre-season) considering I actually prefer a 30+ game fixture where you play every team twice (equal/fair draw).

Why, what's the point of that?

A big barrier to increasing the number of games played by a team (as opposed to increasing the number of rounds) is that there would be a backlash from AFLPA, as effectively their members workload increases with no compensation. There would probably be a backlash from coaches as well, although the marketing department would love it.

I think the only way you could significantly increase the number of games that a team plays is to put limit on the number of games any one player can play. Eg, have a 30 round season but no single player can play more than 22 home and away season games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back