Votes: 16 28.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

PowerfulPies2023

Club Legend
Oct 5, 2023
AFL Club
Collingwood
No troll and no hating just reality for The Dees. They choked the last two seasons in the finals. They had both The Swans and especially The Lions on the ropes in 2022. And the same can be said for 2023, more so The Navy Blues. They blew that game plain and simple. Premiers in 2021 and still a solid spine and a great list, I think a pass mark for the Dees would be Preliminary Finals at the bare minimum. Truth be told they were good enough to beat us in The qualifying Final and really should have been playing The Lions at The GABBA instead of Carlton.

Also worth noting they went on a massive winning run in their premiership defence winning their first ten or 11 games before Freo rolled them.

What can we expect from Melbourne? Where do you have them finishing this season?

They have such a stacked and dominant midfield it's hard to see how they won't be thereabouts again.
The forward line, midfield kicking efficiency, and apparent team culture issues are the key areas holding them back.
The coach needs to pull his head in and start leading by example. No more whining about the opposition, potting the opposition and constant excuse making. If they go backwards this year then Goodwin has to come under very serious scrutiny.

They have such a stacked and dominant midfield it's hard to see how they won't be thereabouts again.
The forward line, midfield kicking efficiency, and apparent team culture issues are the key areas holding them back.
The coach needs to pull his head in and start leading by example. No more whining about the opposition, potting the opposition and constant excuse making. If they go backwards this year then Goodwin has to come under very serious scrutiny.
Their forward line is the killer. Even 1 competent forward against Collingwood and they win that QF by 4 or 5 goals. Same could be said for the Brisbane loss in 2022.
They really should have pushed Sydney to swap a decent forward for Grundy in a trade, because I can see the Demons doing the same again this year. Top 4, they will have a team on the ropes on the back of a Petracca/Gawn masterclass, but no forwards capable of getting the job done and they lose by 20 points or something.
2 straight sets exits back to back will play on the mind as well.

Hoping JVR can have a breakout year in his second season to provide a strong target. McAdam and Pickett need to kick a lot of goals as well. Forward connection is our biggest problem so this must improve if we are to win another flag.

The midfield is stacked but not stacked with good ball users.

The defense is very strong

The forward line is average to good but has zero depth

They can make the top 4 again with good coaching and a good system but it seems to me that their old system is being found out and they need to make changes.

Their forward line is the killer. Even 1 competent forward against Collingwood and they win that QF by 4 or 5 goals. Same could be said for the Brisbane loss in 2022.
They really should have pushed Sydney to swap a decent forward for Grundy in a trade, because I can see the Demons doing the same again this year. Top 4, they will have a team on the ropes on the back of a Petracca/Gawn masterclass, but no forwards capable of getting the job done and they lose by 20 points or something.
2 straight sets exits back to back will play on the mind as well.
They had some rotten luck at business end last season with injuries to their forward stocks.
Even with Oliver unlikely, they should ake a claim for top4

Agreed.

They've blown the prelims two years running. The inclusion of Grundy was a disaster and this year there are no more excuses. Grundy leaves us, we win the flag lol. Double whammy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No troll and no hating just reality for The Dees. They choked the last two seasons in the finals. They had both The Swans and especially The Lions on the ropes in 2022. And the same can be said for 2023, more so The Navy Blues. They blew that game plain and simple. Premiers in 2021 and still a solid spine and a great list, I think a pass mark for the Dees would be Preliminary Finals at the bare minimum. Truth be told they were good enough to beat us in The qualifying Final and really should have been playing The Lions at The GABBA instead of Carlton.

Also worth noting they went on a massive winning run in their premiership defence winning their first ten or 11 games before Freo rolled them.

What can we expect from Melbourne? Where do you have them finishing this season?
Top 6

A huge part of their midfield engine is now gone. That's a massive cog missing in the midfield machine.

A huge loss. Footy's worse off no question and I'd rather have him playing our great game because watching him is like watching a star galloper at The Melbourne Cup.

This hurts Melbourne's Premiership chances big time. You can't replace a player like that.

I'd rather use a telescope and watch from a safe distance. I did enough dabbling in the 70s to have mostly forgotten what I did in the 70s.

They’ve got about two more seasons to capitalize, which coincides with Gawn and Petracca being close to their best. After that they’re in for some tough times if their culture really is as toxic as it seems.

I think they’ll finish top 6 again unless ravaged by injuries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve said on another thread that Demons of 24 will be better than 23.

The coach is finally running outside players through the midfield.

I can’t see us winning less than 15-16 games and finishing in the top 4.

From there we could be dominant in finals but also just as likely to poo the bed.

I'm liking The Demons now. I expect them to vanquish demons of their own and they'll be playing off to get in The Grand Final come seasons end.

Back