Review Semi Final, 2019 - Brisbane Lions vs. GWS

Who were your five best players against GWS?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Signing off, it was a very good season exceeding expectations. Ending up 2nd was a bit flattering because of West Coast shock loss and other game results indirectly benefiting us. I thought we were somewhere between 3rd and 5th. Definitely not the standard of either Richmond and Collingwood. Exiting in straight sets both at home is NOT good enough. So have to recruit wisely for next year with a power forward, a ruckman who taps to advantage consistently and a serious back to support Andrews who can't do everything himself week in week out.

The Brisbane lions redemption story needed one more bump in the road.

Will be even more special when we win now.

Still the best season we've had in years. Plenty of improvement to come.

Was really proud of Nick Robbo. Played within himself and wasn't overawed.

Yeah it was a throw, yeah we were inaccurate, yeah etc etc etc.

Don't care.

What a phenomenal season. Holy s**t. Came within 3 points of a prelim after 15th last year. Only the start of our window, which shouldn't even be open right now, but our young fellas blew it open and have so much improvement to go and time on their side.

Great season.
This just does not resonate.

I just don’t buy into being satisfied that we fought all season to finish second, only to s**t the bed in two home finals and just bow out in such a pathetic fashion.

And now everyone wants to talk about how proud we should be.:rolleyes:

Nowhere near captain material after his finals series. Disinterested, rarely trying to motivate the players and as someone who saw him live at the game, blaming others and berating them.

Zorko just tried umpiring the game as much as playing and Berry just horrible all season.

Our much heralded leaders all really disappointing when it mattered most.
Zorks and Berry were fantastic last half.

Harris has been awful most of last half of year. Surely not right . How did he get AA ?

Mumford threw it ,didn't even try to hide it from a boundary throw in stoppage and not one umpire in front of the throw in.

Disgraceful

Should have put them away early in 4th quarter when we were peppering the forward 50 without conversion. Free kick to Allen Christensen to put us in front was slightly dubious as he held the jumper as well and unfortunately the last call went against us. Heartbreaking as it is, can’t say we didn’t get our share of umpiring love today.

Honestly that is the most pissed off I've ever been after a neutral game. Utterly ******* disgraceful umpiring. Martin held in every ruck contest. Holding against McStay/Hippy at the end of the 3rd. Blatant throw by Greene (of ******* course!) leading to the match winner. It's clear who the corporate champs are.

* GWS.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Best season in 10 years. Lots of beautiful highlights and moments. Our great club has turned a corner from dark dark days that has plagued the 2010's, fortunately ending this dreadful decade on a ray of hope. A light at the end of a tunnel that we have finally made our way out of.

Yes it wasn't what we wanted from our first foray into the finals since 2009 but so much experience has been gained and that game will fuel the boys for the pre-season. They'll be better for it, we took it right up to the Giants who have 4+ years of finals experience.

Charlie Cameron though, he deserves a medal for that game. I could go on about how great that performance was but it isn't required here. Warrior, champion and one of many heartbeats for our club.

Hodgey, he may be a Hawthorn legend but he is now firmly a Lion as well. He gave his best two games for us in the finals this season, when it mattered. He showed the boys that now is the time you give your best. Can't wait to see him as an assistant coach.

3 points away from a prelim, imagine someone saying that last year. They'd be carded!

Love you Lions, thanks for a great season of football. I thoroughly enjoyed being excited to watch the footy on the weekend again.

Bring on 2020!

We would have won with Basti.
I think we would have won with Keays, Lester, Walker, Bastinac in and Witherden, Adams, Answerth and Bailey out.

0C9AE4E5-9953-4D00-B22E-B7E2FB8BFCF6.png

Our defence has been abysmal until basically this year, they had a slight off-finals series but thats okay.

Hopefully next year we have a more clinical forward system. I think we have the talent, just gotta get them gelling.

Also our mids will have another preseason to be more comfortable together too. I've been amazed how they've worked with such a fresh relationship :)

Zorko was electric in the stoppages late in the game.
Robertson came in with a lot of pressure and fulfilled his role really well.

Other than bad goal kicking (which has been a problem year round), we only 'really' missed the plot after we had the lead. Panicked a bit. Also GWS tall defenders were having a meal out of some of those entries. Plenty to learn from for next year. Hopefully the double loss burns.

I just don’t buy into being satisfied that we fought all season to finish second, only to s**t the bed in two home finals and just bow out in such a pathetic fashion.

But that's what happened Dyl. I have to say that being shitty about it won't change things, but being reflective and remembering how much better a season this was relatively and how much better they can be next year should help things.

Mate I know you are a passionate dude, but please hear me when I say that if you can't get some enjoyment out of this season as compared to last and considering where we are in our window, I don't think much can make you happy at all.

If you want to chat further about it flick me a PM. I am honestly happy to chat mate.

Very proud of the season. But still gutted. I hope the young blokes tear up the track over the pre season. Now they have seen what it takes to play in finals, they should be so hungry.

If you are that disillusioned that you think that this season was a bad season, then you need to seek help as soon as possible and you are exactly like the fans of other clubs we have criticized over the season.

Going from a 5 win season to making second on the ladder, entering the finals, having young guns emerge and show their wares on every line, that's a great season for a club that's essentially been in the shitter for exactly a decade.

Anyone who says we lost because of one or two players is being over-reactional, we lost because of the bomb to no one that the players insisted on continuing from last week.

In the off-season we need a key forward who can mark and kick the goal as we can't keep relying on Cameron to seal the game. It's been a good season, now let's see what we can do in the trade period.

Back