Review Semi Final, 2019 - Brisbane Lions vs. GWS

Who were your five best players against GWS?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

FLVanLandingham

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 3, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
* it I'm still proud

Stef Martin take a bow. Marvelous effort.
If that is Hodgies last game for us, a shame. Wonderful work he has done these last two years. His finals campaign has been supreme.
Berry had a lot of fight tonight, good on him
And finally well done Charles for sticking it out, that injury looked bad.

ONTO THE PRESEASON AND NEXT YEAR! go boys :)

Oct 6, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Denver Nuggets
Thought Andrews has had two relatively poor finals now. None of that intercept marking that so important. Looked to get caught out of position at times as well. Just didn’t seem his usual self, disappointing way to end an excellent year.
Andrews was pathetic. If he is injured then Walker should have played. No excuses from a supposed leader of the club.

13Beast

Club Legend
Oct 26, 2011
Yokohama
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
What a mockery of the sport that the AFL allows four quarters of not only total thuggery and a blatant disregard of the rules by GWS, but some of the most one sided, diabolical umpiring ever seen. Truly disgusting. This is no longer the same sport I grew up with. What have they done. Truly speechless, not so much as a Lions fan (it transcends that) but as a footy lover in general. Honestly, what a sickening display and debauchery of the sport we love.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

tate13

All Australian
Sep 5, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Washington Wizards
I remember earlier this year stating that our forward line was an issue. One prolific poster/self proclaimed expert took me to task. Panned out well.
In seriousness though, that’s some thing we need to address. Charlie was huge this year, but we shouldn’t be relying on him to win us matches (and we were/he did). The disposal inside 50 is just all over the shop too. I’m not sure if this is because our forwards rarely lead up at the ball carrier, or because we panic, or just a kick and hope for a freak mark/Charlie crumb.

Oct 8, 2018
Hobart
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Tassie Devils, Tasmania JackJumpers
The umpiring wasn't the reason we lost, but definitely robbed us of opportunities to kick more goals behinds. And that blatant throw which led to the winning goal? Nah fam. The AFL owe the Lions an apology.

Also hope we can somehow get a forward line in the off-season.

Nov 4, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Yeah it was a throw, yeah we were inaccurate, yeah etc etc etc.

Don't care.

What a phenomenal season. Holy s**t. Came within 3 points of a prelim after 15th last year. Only the start of our window, which shouldn't even be open right now, but our young fellas blew it open and have so much improvement to go and time on their side.

Great season.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Thought Andrews has had two relatively poor finals now. None of that intercept marking that so important. Looked to get caught out of position at times as well. Just didn’t seem his usual self, disappointing way to end an excellent year.
Nowhere near captain material after his finals series. Disinterested, rarely trying to motivate the players and as someone who saw him live at the game, blaming others and berating them.

Zorko just tried umpiring the game as much as playing and Berry just horrible all season.

Our much heralded leaders all really disappointing when it mattered most.

bato

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 7, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Denver Nuggets, Novak Djokovic
Just exposed for pace at the worst possible time of the game.

Too many hack kicks forward pressured and some not under any pressure.

Gave up an easy clearance after the Bundy goal.

Too many misses at goal - again.

Frustrating.

Names I've got written on my sheet:
  • Hodge. The leadership, the desperation. Brilliant year. Hope he's going around again.
  • Rich. Fantastic work all game.
  • Robertson. Held Whitfield to seven effective disposals. Disposals weren't perfect but difficult to come into the seniors for a semi. If that's his new level I want to see more of it next year.
  • Zorko. Electric and important, especially working us back into the game in the third.
  • Cameron. Kept going at it even with that injured elbow. Much more up the ground this week, no doubt motivated by the injury but it's so great that he's got that flexibility and I would like to see him mixing it up much more flexibly next year to exploit his matchups.
  • Martin. Wow. Just a massive game. Superb. The creativity, the followups, fantastic match.
Lost our heads a little in the last few minutes, didn't lower our eyes, and handed intercepts to the opp backline. Just need to learn from that.

Back