Coaching Staff Senior Coach: John Worsfold - Thank you John

Remove this Banner Ad

Retaining the 3 tall structure against that forward line might just be the worst selection decision of the year. It didn't cost us the game (although Ambrose popping a string and us being a man down for 3 quarters certainly didn't help) but **** we were crying out for another runner, Mutch or even Clarke would have been handy.

Can't even work out who he was going to play on, putting him on Stephenson or De Goey would have been ill advised, Mihocek was basically a 6'4 point of reference for Hurley to sift off from and Hooker essentially did all that's possible to do against Cox when the pies mids are rampaging out of the middle. A baffling lack of situational awareness

I think he’s taking us forward but it’s too slow. We should be better than we are right now, and I put it down to his team selections, which negatively impacts team morale and also player development.

Thought Worsfold's post match press conference was a ripper! He always plays the straight bat but you could see the conviction, the spirit, and the belief running through him.

Its like he was really inspired by his team. The loss seemed immaterial.

Had my doubts, but I am now starting to see his vision. He is building us into a tough yet quick football team.

Things take time, I really don't want to go down a path of a new coach every 3 seasons because we are impatient.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm optimistic. Richmond played finals in 2015 (bombed out in the elimination final), then finished 13th in 2016, and then went on to win the premiership in 2017.

Here's to hoping we follow that trend.

Classic Worsfold speak. Always giving a direct answer that really is not saying anything much at all.

Just going about his way building this side not concerned about making bold statements or giving insightful opinions.

He’s low key. I like that.

Worsfold said Fantasia trained on Saturday morning and while not fit enough to play against the Suns, he was "very confident" the livewire forward would return for next week's clash with Fremantle.

"(Fantasia) Just didn't come up. Not a reoccurrence, we were hopeful it would get to that point where it would turn a corner and he would be well enough to play," he said.

"That point didn't come in time."

Last edited:
Despite his fairly boring persona, I'm a bit of a fan of how he has turned things around this year.

It has been a very similar year to his third year (2004) when he was in charge at West Coast.

The Eagles were highly rated in the pre-season that year (after a fairly stunning 2003 that saw them in the top 4 for most of the year) but they had an exceptionally underwhelming start to 2004 and sat in 11th spot after Round 13. They had some shocking losses early on, including a goalless first half against a very, very mediocre Carlton side at the time. They turned it around, went on a winning run and made the finals... before being bundled out in an interstate final (against Sydney) in Week One.

Then in 2005... they exploded. Big time. And should've won the Grand Final had it not been for Leo Barry.

Worsfold is currently in his third year coaching Essendon, after some exceptionally difficult circumstances.

Maybe 2019 will bring something similar?

Despite his fairly boring persona, I'm a bit of a fan of how he has turned things around this year.

It has been a very similar year to his third year (2004) when he was in charge at West Coast.

The Eagles were highly rated in the pre-season that year (after a fairly stunning 2003 that saw them in the top 4 for most of the year) but they had an exceptionally underwhelming start to 2004 and sat in 11th spot after Round 13. They had some shocking losses early on, including a goalless first half against a very, very mediocre Carlton side at the time. They turned it around, went on a winning run and made the finals... before being bundled out in an interstate final (against Sydney) in Week One.

Then in 2005... they exploded. Big time. And should've won the Grand Final had it not been for Leo Barry.

Worsfold is currently in his third year coaching Essendon, after some exceptionally difficult circumstances.

holy s**t, you dropped some x or something?

I like the part where John does the noise things from his mouth and like, the players do the mouth things to the football and then like, stuff happens and yeah, cool man.

Kind Regards,
Stupid Person Post.

On a serious note: will have a better opinion by the end of next season.

Hell things could be worse, could have hired Bolton - LAWL.

I like the part where John does the noise things from his mouth and like, the players do the mouth things to the football and then like, stuff happens and yeah, cool man.

Kind Regards,
Stupid Person Post.

On a serious note: will have a better opinion by the end of next season.

Hell things could be worse, could have hired Bolton - LAWL.
Bolton would probably be decent with a list that isn't hot garbage

Good post.
So, at very very mediocre, Carlton must have been much better back then than they are now:D

Win/loss industry i understand but its interesting how any negative commentary is completely eradicated when the form of the team has been good.

By that i mean no one looks back in hindsight and looks at what was said and whether it was correct, constructive, whether a stance changed. People just see the W and go ok he can coach until there is Ls and then he cant.

In an example of this lets look at one of the things John was ridiculed in the media and on here about.

"Good teams can be coach led, Great teams are player led"

Pretty interesting statement. At the time it was seen as John not taking the blame that our lovely little sport likes to sit squarely on the coach. Its the players fault was what this was heard as.

What he was and is trying to instill in this group for its leaders and players to recognise how a game is going and make changes on field and direct team mates from within a game and not wait for a coaching instruction or for a quarter time break. This will lead to consistency of performance.
Its also where a lot of the genuine rubbish you read here that the coach isnt doing anything and not reacting quick enough stems from.

Interesting listening to Bucks speak on the radio how he was of the belief runners would be removed this year and the talk appears to be at least next year they will be taken out. That teams need to rely on their onfield leaders and the ability for players to react during a game and that is what the good teams do.
Sounds a little familiar.

I think we are starting to see Johns vision of how the team plays and we are getting those consistent efforts. We have some real quality on the list and most importantly our leaders and players are given time to learn. Now its just tinkering and experience that will get us to where we want to get to.
Once again its patience and confidence to see out the vision.
Not throw it all out the window, play some alternate way and making reactionary decisions to win 1 game when it doesnt help you win a flag.

That may look like a failure to adapt, reality is its gathering information and data over a period of time to then make a rational decision.
Eg. Player A hasnt performed today, lets not throw him out because on potential he fits nicely, lets give some chances.
Player B is doing really well in area y but the whole reason we want him in the side is because of x which he isnt doing, lets not reward y when we are after x.

We want to move the ball this way, in these 3 games it didnt work yet in 2 it worked incredibly. Lets not throw it out lets tinker with it a few more weeks because it may be a simple fix or completely unworkable, but lets make the decision on a larger data set.

The coach is not and should not be immune from criticism. But at least look through the above prism, instead of reactionary short term, grass is greener thinking we get in both the media and on here.

He said in the press conference that Long is making the most of his opportunities, I would consider that a pretty bold statement.

Really?

Pretty sure youre just mucking around...

Btw...its a forgotton fact that Woosha invented/coined the term “ making the most of opportunties” back in WC coaching days.

Within in a year every man and his dog was saying it and to this day its just part of everyday footy speak.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back