Coaching Staff Senior Coach: John Worsfold - Thank you John

Remove this Banner Ad

The biggest thing for me is we have proven consistently hard to score against this year. That's actually something to hang onto in terms of building a premiership type side. Also something that I can't recall any Essendon side in recent years having as a strength.

No point assessing the coach too much til the end of the year but certainly there are some positives (as there will be some negatives as well).
I'm looking forward to seeing what we're like when we're proficient enough to flick the switch and pour on the goals again, able to play full ground defence or attack at will. I actually believe now that we really are moving towards playing the way he wants them to play.

So I live in Perth ..and tonight I’m talking to my well-to-do neighbor..who is a Freo fan..and he’s got two mates who are in the docker coterie and get the inside scoop on what’s going on at Cockburn castle..and they told him that the powers that be have lost faith in Ross and are making moves to approach Worsfold to coach the purple rabble because they believe JW wants to return to Perth and doesn’t really like living in Melbourne at all.

Interesting.

So I live in Perth ..and tonight I’m talking to my well-to-do neighbor..who is a Freo fan..and he’s got two mates who are in the docker coterie and get the inside scoop on what’s going on at Cockburn castle..and they told him that the powers that be have lost faith in Ross and are making moves to approach Worsfold to coach the purple rabble because they believe JW wants to return to Perth and doesn’t really like living in Melbourne at all.

Interesting.

Ross/Worsfold swap

Interesting

Interesting.

I think this has wheels. It’s the only way I see woosh not coaching us next year. He needs the money so he’s not gonna quit us unless there’s something else there.

Interesting.

Reckon it's true too. His family is all Perth aren't they?

North - Shaw

Carlton - Roos

Saints - Ratten (poor bastard)

Freo - Lyon

Essendon - Worsfold

My tips for 2020

Roos?? For real? Wow.
I thought he was done with coaching and loved his cushy media job now where he gets to barrack for every team against Essendon.

Where are you hearing this one mate?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reckon it's true too. His family is all Perth aren't they?

Yes..born and bred etc.

Apparently his wife is not too fond of Melb either and had enough.

This is all second hand news of course but it definitely comes from blokes who have access to the inner freo off field sanctum.

Then it got me thinking....Woosha last week was asked once again in an interview about his future at EFC and basically said “ it’ll be up the club “.

He doesn’t ever exactly make bold statements like he’s in it for the long haul and passionate about taking Essendon into the future for years to come.
All you get is that calm, measured response that politely says “ im
not that bothered either way”

The way Freo are tracking at the moment is not filling anyone there on the board with confidence. They are going backwards instead of forwards and things are very stale and uninspiring with Lyon atm. He’s obviously a bit burnt out and ran out of ideas.
And the Freo players are bored with his same old tired defensive game style message.

Everyone knows that Woosha has done a fantastic job getting our club back it’s confidence after years of flatness.

A good man manager.

And you could imagine Fremantle just having a little chat with Worsfold and sussing out his thoughts on the possibility....and sharpening the knives ready to chop Ross and pay him out.

Would fit perfectly for him. Gets to go home and straight into a job where there’s a challenge ahead to re boot a club with a fresh approach to things and rebuild.

We of course then look to see who’s available to take over from JW.

They wouldn’t be thinking of Lyon though I’d be thinking. His dour manner and s**t won/loss record at Freo is not exactly appealing.

Anyway...read into it all as you wish.

Last edited:
Roos?? For real? Wow.
I thought he was done with coaching and loved his cushy media job now where he gets to barrack for every team against Essendon.

He said he was open to it on the couch a few weeks back. Bit speculatory

Yes..born and bred etc.

Apparently his wife is not too fond of Melb either and had enough.

This is all second hand news of course but it definitely comes from blokes who have access to the inner freo off field sanctum.

Then it got me thinking....Woosha last week was asked once again in an interview about his future at EFC and basically said “ it’ll be up the club “.

He doesn’t ever exactly make bold statements like he’s in it for the long haul and passionate about taking Essendon into the future for years to come.
All you get is that calm, measured response that politely says “ im
not that bothered either way”

The way Freo are tracking at the moment is not filling anyone there on the board with confidence. They are going backwards instead of forwards and things are very stale and uninspiring with Lyon atm. He’s obviously a bit burnt out and ran out of ideas.
And the Freo players are bored with his same old tired defensive game style message.

Everyone knows that Woosha has done a fantastic job getting our club back it’s confidence after years of flatness.

A good man manager.

And you could imagine Fremantle just having a little chat with Worsfold and sussing out his thoughts on the possibility....and sharpening the knives ready to chop Ross and pay him out.

Would fit perfectly for him. Gets to go home and straight into a job where there’s a challenge ahead to re boot a club with a fresh approach to things and rebuild.

We of course then look to see who’s available to take over from JW.

They wouldn’t be thinking of Lyon though I’d be thinking. His dour manner and s**t won/loss record at Freo is not exactly appealing.

Anyway...read into it all as you wish.
If it were me they were trying to snag as a coach all they'd have to do is this :
Freo Board Member: 'You know, our Leisure Centre has WICKED Water Slides!'
Runk: 'I'M IN!!'
SLIDE.gif

Roos?? For real? Wow.

I think Roos said he’d be interested in a coaching consultant role of asked.

It would be such a tough gig!
Combine the usual pressures of coaching with commuting/family pressures from back home.
Didn’t seem to commit long term to anything in the radio interview, until he loses the “passion” for it. The door is left well ajar for a move back to Perth

Last edited:
I think this has wheels. It’s the only way I see woosh not coaching us next year. He needs the money so he’s not gonna quit us unless there’s something else there.
Why does Woosha need the the money. Reckon he’s made enough along the way to comfortably go into retirement

Why does Woosha need the the money. Reckon he’s made enough along the way to comfortably go into retirement

Not a smart business man, I've heard.

Anyway, no doubt now that he should be allowed to coach next year. First 8 eeeks of 2020 will decide if we extend or not. If we’re 4-4 or worse he’d be in trouble. Unless of course he decides to leave at year end for family reasons.

Anyway, no doubt now that he should be allowed to coach next year. First 8 eeeks of 2020 will decide if we extend or not. If we’re 4-4 or worse he’d be in trouble. Unless of course he decides to leave at year end for family reasons.

Or if Freo offer him an opportunity he cant refuse..and sack Ross.
EFC would let him go.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back