Coaching Staff Senior Coach: John Worsfold - Thank you John

Remove this Banner Ad

He was an average VFL coach, who oddly also helped out in the midfield. He went to our forward line and had one good year, but then moved to midfield where we've been as inconsistent as ever, he just seems to hang around and we continue to produce the same results.

We've been mediocre for how long and we've had these assistant coaches for how long? Something's gotta give.

You still haven't provided a metric of what you are basing your average comments on.

He was moved into the forward line and got results he was moved away from that line and it regressed and the line he moved into has been improvement this year in defensive running, clearances and contested ball.

I'm not talking about the team being inconsistent look at what he is directly in control of. Each time he has been involved with a section of the ground he has had a positive impact. Probably as he has gotten better as a coach as I agree when he first started I feel he may not have been getting the best results.

I'd have no problem keeping him on in development or as a forward coach. I don't however agree with fans who seem to default throw his name up based purely how long he has been at the club.

I'm not a huge Worsfold fan but he has fought back well and the team seems to be winning those games that good teams do. At this stage you have to give credit to him.
Fought back? Personally I don't think he's fought back anything, he's simply ignored the noise and stuck to the plan.

Fought back? Personally I don't think he's fought back anything, he's simply ignored the noise and stuck to the plan.

So the plan is to have a horrendous start last year and come home strong to miss out on finals and follow the same pattern this year albeit closer to finals with a depleted injury hit side. Playing Baguley from round 1 when everyone and their dog could see he was cooked.

Sounds like a recipe for success to me.

So the plan is to have a horrendous start last year and come home strong to miss out on finals and follow the same pattern this year albeit closer to finals with a depleted injury hit side. Playing Baguley from round 1 when everyone and their dog could see he was cooked.

So going by this logic of what you call plans....you're telling me Geelong carefully planned their new game plan over the off season like this?

1) Don't get injured.
2) Win games.

Okey mete.

Last edited:
Skipworth's performance has been below average for the majority of his tenure and he's been here for 10 years. Needs to be moved on
Do not agree at all. He flies under the radar. His development work was very good and all the players comment on how good his communication and feed back is and on how clear the message is. He is good and with the help of Rutten the midfield is finally defending better right now. On top of that they are getting a decent spread in performance and despite not having a clearance bull holds it own against most sides. Very under rated and a must keep.

Do not agree at all. He flies under the radar. His development work was very good and all the players comment on how good his communication and feed back is and on how clear the message is. He is good and with the help of Rutten the midfield is finally defending better right now. On top of that they are getting a decent spread in performance and despite not having a clearance bull holds it own against most sides. Very under rated and a must keep.

Anyone in particular you would target for the vacant forward role and role vacated by Harding?

Anyone in particular you would target for the vacant forward role and role vacated by Harding?

Have not really thought a lot about it. Could not tell you who is the best opposition coach or who the opposition forward coaches are.

I have to praise Worsfold as well, after much criticism. There’s clearly been a few changes imo.

He’s playing good, young players in their natural positions which is what is required for their development to continue. Francis is in the backline where he belongs after a ludicrous period where he was (a) dropped and (b) played as a forward, which he is not. Parish has been put in the midfield, in the seniors, where he belongs. And surprise surprise, he’s thrived.

That’s only a couple of players but it makes a big difference imo. Laverde is also looking good.

The use of D Clarke has been a masterstroke and helped us enormously. Full credit.

I reckon some of these things would be intentional and some circumstance, but he deserves the credit all the same.

We need to work out Ridley and Langford next imo.

I have to praise Worsfold as well, after much criticism. There’s clearly been a few changes imo.

He’s playing good, young players in their natural positions which is what is required for their development to continue. Francis is in the backline where he belongs after a ludicrous period where he was (a) dropped and (b) played as a forward, which he is not. Parish has been put in the midfield, in the seniors, where he belongs. And surprise surprise, he’s thrived.

That’s only a couple of players but it makes a big difference imo. Laverde is also looking good.

The use of D Clarke has been a masterstroke and helped us enormously. Full credit.

I reckon some of these things would be intentional and some circumstance, but he deserves the credit all the same.

We need to work out Ridley and Langford next imo.
Pretty much this, he's doing what I wanted him to do and blood the future as much as possible.

The game plan still needs some tinkering and he still needs to accept mid match changes aren't the devil, but the players are performing at an acceptable level most of the time so big points to him there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1 post.

1 post of positive Kelvin is all we got.

Oh well.

It was nice while it lasted

The biggest thing for me is we have proven consistently hard to score against this year. That's actually something to hang onto in terms of building a premiership type side. Also something that I can't recall any Essendon side in recent years having as a strength.

No point assessing the coach too much til the end of the year but certainly there are some positives (as there will be some negatives as well).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back