Senna doco

Remove this Banner Ad

Mate you've proved you may just have the biggest dick in this thread as far as F1 knowledge goes. How long do you want the movie to go for?
But, you've spelled Tamburello incorrectly:rolleyes:

Oh s**t a typo.

I wouldve thought the 86 Lotus season was a must.
As well as testing the Williams. Not sure off the top of my head but i think he broke the lap record at Donnington in his first outing.

Those two things would have only needed an extra 10 minutes.

The other stuff i just find interesting.

Theres also a whole bunch of interesting stuff about that Imola race as well. Giving a shout out to hated rival Prost whilst doing a promo lap for the TV companies.
And sitting on the grid without his helmet on which he never normally did.

The doco was made as a movie, released to theaters, they made it to appeal to people who don't ordinarily watch F1.

Otherwise it wouldn't have gotten the numbers, plaudits it has gotten, it would have been just another F1 documentary.

If your brother liked it, the movie served its purpose tbh.

The doco was made as a movie, released to theaters, they made it to appeal to people who don't ordinarily watch F1.

Otherwise it wouldn't have gotten the numbers, plaudits it has gotten, it would have been just another F1 documentary.

Agree fully, tbh didnt expect to love it because of my passion for the sport. I always thought that i could only be underwhelmed

Just finished.
10/10

Moved me to tears.
Funny because i despised him when he was still alive.

Vale Ayrton

He was/is my most hated sportsperson of all time but I was in tears when he died and was in tears watching the doco. Hated his penchance for punting people off but respected his rivalry with Prost & Mansell. I've still got the live VHS of that Imola GP here.

The doco has made me get all my DVDs of season reviews out and watch them again. The good ol' days indeed.

For people saying "uhhh why wasn't this in. People who made this is film are idiots". Well the original cut was like 5 hours or something and they had to cut it down to 100 minutes...some stuff just has to go

To be honest i think i am too bigger F1/Senna fan to like the movie as much as i should was very meh in my opinion. By little bro on the other hand who really only watches the Melbourne GP every year loved it.

I kept thinking s**t they missed out so much here and there. Ie:
  • Right at the start they show the first time he was ever in an F1 car. They dont speak that it was a Williams he was testing and that he set a ripping time in it at Donnington.
  • They then pretty much skip his whole Lotus career including the 86 season which he (along with Piquet and Mansell) where in the championship fight with Prost until the end. The start of the Prost Senna rivalry.
  • Then a few other things that have never really been documented that much as well. Apparently after Berger crashed at Tamberello a few years prior Ayrton and Berger wanted to try and alter the corner somehow for safety but could not work out how to do it as there was a huge river behind the corner.
  • Rumour has it at the end of 93 when McLaren were testing new engines for 94 (peugoet won out in the end) Ayrton tested a McLaren Lamborghini and said it was the most powerful thing he'd driven but due to its power it kept shitting itself. If it became realible he wouldve stuck around at McLaren for 94 and on.
  • Eddie Jordan offered Ayrton a 49% share in his team to try and entice him over as well for the 94 season.
I was dissapointed knowing all of this sort of stuff once i watched the film knowing some what i thought was interesting info was just skipped over.

I agree. Even issues like the wet Adelaide race in 89 when Senna's appeal cast another layer on the whole race or dont race problem. Or Adelaide in 92 when Senna ran into Mansell (Nigels last race and the stewards found that nige broke 10-15m earlier than he had been doing from memory, in the middle of the track). Of course once again it was portrayed as a reckless Senna moment.

Plenty of interesting behind the scene stuff for a hardcore fan like me though.

Shame it wasnt a 4 hour DVD set. :D

Or Adelaide in 92 when Senna ran into Mansell (Nigels last race and the stewards found that nige broke 10-15m earlier than he had been doing from memory, in the middle of the track). Of course once again it was portrayed as a reckless Senna moment.

I remember that vividly.. Senna was racing the back of the williams threw that section , which requires alot trust of the guy ahead (happens on most tracks, Button this year spoke candidly about that). Now there probably isn't many more you could trust than Mansell...

But Mansell thought Senna was going up the inside into the final corner, Senna wasn't and thus was left nowhere to go half round a very fast corner that requires heavy braking to the next one.

English media and there Gobells taught nationalism went crazy.....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Try and get your hands on it dude
What, the book? I've got it, it didn't move me to dislike him or like him more. I thought it was cool he told his boss to stick the engineering job up his arse, so to speak, when propositioned, without the confidence of a paid GP drive was waiting. I did notice a modest pre-GP career, which was surprising. Maybe, expecting to be a bit more popular as a kid because he was an "International Karter" was a bit concieted, but not that big of a deal. The worst thing about the book for me was the knowledge that James Allen is the ghostwriter!

When Mansell and Senna time came was the time when drivers stopped dying and getting fracked up almost weekly...

driver saftey really took off, both in car design and track...

Someone like senna used this to his advantage and psyched out drivers by being not afraid to put his car where cars don't go if your scared...

Mansel was about the only one who ever did anything and not back off when senna did this, shuey never really was around enough in sennas last years, but Mansell never chickened out.

[YOUTUBE]WcxzQPhJYxw[/YOUTUBE]

There's a report on today's Daily Mail website that Senna's 1984 Toleman is set to be auctioned. The car has been fully restored and can be driven on race tracks. The auctioneers are expecting a price of in excess of 750,000 pounds.

Watched this on the weekend for the first time since I saw it at MIFF last year.

As a piece of cinema I thought it was fantastic. It really is incredibly impressive that they managed to create such a moving story from nothing more than archival footage and a few voiceovers.

As a documentary of F1 I found it less great. It was incredibly patchy in what it covered. Personally I learned a lot from watching it but I kind of feel like if you were a racing fan in the 80s there was very little in there that would have been new or interesting. I was surprised they skimmed over his early career so quickly, and a little mystified that it didn't even mention his first wife or fiancee (let alone provided any insight there).

It seemed bizarre they virtually ignored Mansell. Likewise my knowledge of that era is sketchy, but even from my limited knowledge it seemed awfully one-eyed in how they covered a few things (e.g. the Post/Senna argy bargy over the Japan GP start). You'd have to think that Prost would be a bit miffed at how he was portrayed.

Ultimately though I think most of those omissions were made for artistic reasons. It is unabashedly a tribute to a personal hero. If they'd provided a balanced, comprehensive documentary then I don't think it would have been anywhere as moving a film.

Finally got around to seeing this. Took me back to the days where I fell in love with the sport, especially the Suzuka segments.
As a kid Channel 9s Wide World of Sports would update you on the seasons races and, due to the timing of the races, the Japanese GP screened at a kid friendly afternoon time and this, along with Adelaide, were the only two races I'd get to watch each season so I remember them fondly.
It was nice to see the footage of those times, but fascinating to see the incidents, politics, and legacies of those times.

Like many have mentioned here there could have been a lot more added through the course of his career, but how do you fit it all in?

I loved the older on board cameras and footage, but there was some really moving race scenes. The vision of Donnelly laying prone on the track bent in so many different ways was shocking, fortunately it wasn't fatal. Imola 1994 was cursed. Not only the two horrible fatalities, but Barrichellos incredible crash and the Lamy/Lehto collision at the start - such an incredibly sad weekend of motor racing.

I watched it from start to finish today and have virtual zero interest in the sport.

It seems he was a little reckless with his driving but one of the crashes he got the blame for, Prost clearly turned the corner early as Senna was going to pass him.

Some of his interviews with the female reporters wouldn't be well received today!

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back