Sheffield Shield TOTY

Remove this Banner Ad

I did one at the halfway point and I'll do one now that the regular season is finished.

Ed Cowan (NSW, 959 runs @ 73.76)
Joe Burns (Qld, 724 runs @ 40.22)
Hilton Cartwright (WA, 861 runs @ 53.81)
George Bailey (Tas, 839 runs @ 59.92, c)
Ashton Turner (WA, 742 runs @ 53, 7 wickets @ 39.42)
Moises Henriques (NSW, 775 runs @ 64.58)
Peter Nevill (625 runs @ 56.81, +)
Chris Tremain (42 wickets @ 17.52)
Jason Behrendorff (37 wickets @ 17.59)
Chadd Sayers (54 wickets @ 19.2)
Jon Holland (42 wickets @ 21.11)

Cowan's season was excellent. His team fell 6 runs short of having the chance to get 1000 runs this season, and he only missed one game throughout the year. If he played that, form has shown that he probably would have achieved the rare mark. Favourite for Shield POTY IMO.

Burns is a bit lucky to get into the side however there were no other openers who got anywhere near the runs he did; and he had the second highest average as well. So he really gets this spot by default.

Hilton Cartwright had a stellar season, making runs consistently but stood out in the last match to try to give WA a chance at the final. His batting is backed up by handy mediums and looks to be a long term player for Australia.

George Bailey did what George Bailey does at this level of cricket. Make runs, and a lot of them. Tasmania wouldn't have won a game if it weren't for this man, he dominated this year and deserves all the plaudits he receives

Ashton Turner had a break out season for the Warriors, his batting was excellent throughout the year and provided a handy option with ball in hand for whomever was captaining the side. Looks to be another potential future Australian player

Moises Henriques made a lot of runs with the bat after the Christmas break, and was one of the best in the country for a period there. If fit his bowling is more than handy as well

Peter Nevill got dropped from the Australian side and responded by making bulk runs against most attacks in the country. He was very important for New South Wales to attempt to make the final, but they unluckily fell short while he was batting.

Chris Tremain bowled excellently this season, putting his name forward as one of the best bowlers in the country, having the second lowest average, third lowest economy rate and the second lowest strike rate of any player in the Shield with 20+ wickets.

Jason Behrendorff missed 3 games for the Warriors but he still dominated. He had the equal highest wickets/match along with Chadd Sayers, as well as an excellent strike rate and average to go along with it. His left armers also provide good variety to this attack.

Chadd Sayers has been remarkable this season. He's taken 54 wickets this season, 9th on the list for most in a Shield season ever, averaged less than 20 and still kept the pressure on with an economy rate of 2.69.

Jon Holland had another fantastic season with ball in hand after getting a taste of test cricket in Sri Lanka before the summer started. It was a tight race between him and Will Somerville for the spinners spot but he had more wickets, a better average and strike rate, although Somerville had a better economy rate.

What do you guys think?

Interesting that the top 7 doesn't contain any batsmen from the teams playing in the final. But can't argue with any of the selections - they look pretty clear cut.

What was your halfway team of the year for reference?

Let me present to you the worst team of the year. (min 4 games)

S.Raphael (192 runs @ 19.20 1 fifty)
J.Hancock (75 runs @ 8.33 0 fifties)
B.Dunk (147 runs @ 14.70 1 fifty)
M.Stoinis (197 runs @ 17.90 0 fifties)
C.Hemphrey (55 runs @ 6.87 0 fifties)
S.Truloff (110 runs @ 13.75 0 fifties)
J.Doran (288 runs @ 24.00 1 fifty)
J.Floros (72 runs @ 12.00 9 wickets @ 55.44)
C.Stevenson (130 runs @ 16.25 22 wickets @ 38.40)
S.Abbott (19 runs @ 4.75 4 wickets @ 95.50)
D.Bollinger (74 runs @ 18.50 18 wickets @ 41.77)

Personally I'd take Somerville over Holland - the latter has slightly better stats, but the former was shouldering a much bigger load given the two teams' respective bowling lineups. Somerville carried NSW to a couple of wins that they really had no right to, whereas Holland was consistently good but seldom had to act as the main strike option.

I am mostly quibbling though. The side pretty much picks itself.

Last edited:
Personally I'd take Somerville over Holland - the latter has slightly better stats, but the former was shouldering a much bigger load given the two teams' respective bowling lineups. Somerville carried NSW to a couple of wins that they really had no right to, whereas Holland was consistently good but seldom had to act as the main strike option.

I am mostly quibbling though. The side pretty much picks itself.
It's 50/50. I daresay if Holland has a good final they'll pick him.

Honourable mention for Hartley, his batting was consistently solid all season. Thought he was unlucky to miss out to Wade when Nevill was dropped. Hard to go past Pete's weight of runs though.

EJM Cowan
JA Burns
HWR Cartwright
GJ Bailey*
MC Henriques
PM Nevill +
AJ Turner
WER Somerville
CP Tremain
CJ Sayers
SP Mackin

Batting pretty much clear cut. Bowling went Mackin over Behrendorff (4 5 wicket bags v 3), likewise Somerville over Holland (3 5 wicket bags v 1). Both pretty line ball, though. Mackin had a superb year.

I could make a case for jake lehmann, he made several scores as the woeful redbacks usually collapsed around him. Also won at least 2 games off his own bat vs NSW & QLD (with cooper) Dont have his stats but he would be up there for runs.

Hes got his issues to work on now, teams are starting to set traps for his cut shot. But he had a good year

Kane Richardsons stats would also be pretty good but he gets left in the shadow of sayers. Probably not good enough to replace Tremain or Dorff

I could make a case for jake lehmann, he made several scores as the woeful redbacks usually collapsed around him. Also won at least 2 games off his own bat vs NSW & QLD (with cooper) Dont have his stats but he would be up there for runs.

Hes got his issues to work on now, teams are starting to set traps for his cut shot. But he had a good year

Kane Richardsons stats would also be pretty good but he gets left in the shadow of sayers. Probably not good enough to replace Tremain or Dorff
8th on runs, but which of the middle order do you leave out? All of them made more runs at a higher average.

8th on runs, but which of the middle order do you leave out? All of them made more runs at a higher average.
Probably Henriques only cos he has 1 big score pumping up his overall total

Its not a stats based call, just think he could be included based on some of his innings when the pressure was really on. His NSW 50* when noone could make anything in the 2nd innings was amazing to see

But it's a 50/50 preference call based on what I've watched this year

Also worth noting the Adelaide oval was grassed up a bit this year, to benefit the fast bowling lineup, which made batting more difficult for him

Probably Henriques only cos he has 1 big score pumping up his overall total

Its not a stats based call, just think he could be included based on some of his innings when the pressure was really on. His NSW 50* when noone could make anything in the 2nd innings was amazing to see

But it's a 50/50 preference call based on what I've watched this year

Also worth noting the Adelaide oval was grassed up a bit this year, to benefit the fast bowling lineup, which made batting more difficult for him
Two tons compared to one. More runs in less games. Higher average, same amount of 50's.

I
Two tons compared to one. More runs in less games. Higher average, same amount of 50's.
I know the stats don't favour him, it's his performance in pressure situation is why I'm picking him.

If you look at the SA v QLD scorecard it demonstrates what he's done several times throughout the year... came in after SA lost 3/1, made 59 out of 156 & last man dismissed

2nd inn came in after losing 3/14 & made 79* & was at the crease for 220 out of the 280 runs SA needed to chase for the win.

He had some good games mixed with some average games but pivotal player along with sayers in getting his team into the final

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Henriques has played a few pivotal innings too, it's just natural to notice those things more when the player's in the side you watch every week.

Not a bad effort ethdog

Still uneasy about Burns though. Is he really in the best side? If you are picking Cowan to open (and yes to be fair he did open a few times I guess), then surely you just pick an extra middle order bat instead of Burns.

Small points though.

Holland or Sommerville is a line ball.

Henriques has played a few pivotal innings too, it's just natural to notice those things more when the player's in the side you watch every week.
Yep, understand that. what I need is a stat on % of teams runs per innings cos hes made half the runs by himself a lot in low scoring games & been last man out a few times which hurts his average but shows he plays for his team.

The bad batting from all the other redbacks is what makes it impressive. Can easily say the same about Bailey. Henriques surrounded by a better more consistent batting lineup can make it easier to churn out the runs.

BTW not saying the team is definately wrong, just I could make a case for him

Ok my last chance at trying to convince someone that it's not as clear cut as most runs.
Just direct comparison Lehman v Henriques

In the 4 games NSW won Henriques made as a % of his team's score for the match

5.6%, 9.8%, 10.1%, 12.4%

Vs lehmann 5x wins

4.9%, 5.1%, 14.5%, 26.8%, 31.5%

Goes to my point that lehmann was very instrumental in winning games

Overall runs by result;
Henriques
Win - 193 (24.9%)
Loss - 155 (20%)
Draw - 427 (55.1%)

Lehmann
Win - 378 (55.8%)
Loss - 299 (44.2%)
Draw - N/A

Henriques making most of his runs in drawn matches which might imply easier tracks to bat on

Henriques has the better consistency which shows in the overall stats, but lehmann more instrumental in winning games which is why IMO I'd swap them over

I did one at the halfway point and I'll do one now that the regular season is finished.

Ed Cowan (NSW, 959 runs @ 73.76)
Joe Burns (Qld, 724 runs @ 40.22)
Hilton Cartwright (WA, 861 runs @ 53.81)
George Bailey (Tas, 839 runs @ 59.92, c)
Ashton Turner (WA, 742 runs @ 53, 7 wickets @ 39.42)
Moises Henriques (NSW, 775 runs @ 64.58)
Peter Nevill (625 runs @ 56.81, +)
Chris Tremain (42 wickets @ 17.52)
Jason Behrendorff (37 wickets @ 17.59)
Chadd Sayers (54 wickets @ 19.2)
Jon Holland (42 wickets @ 21.11)

Cowan's season was excellent. His team fell 6 runs short of having the chance to get 1000 runs this season, and he only missed one game throughout the year. If he played that, form has shown that he probably would have achieved the rare mark. Favourite for Shield POTY IMO.

Burns is a bit lucky to get into the side however there were no other openers who got anywhere near the runs he did; and he had the second highest average as well. So he really gets this spot by default.

Hilton Cartwright had a stellar season, making runs consistently but stood out in the last match to try to give WA a chance at the final. His batting is backed up by handy mediums and looks to be a long term player for Australia.

George Bailey did what George Bailey does at this level of cricket. Make runs, and a lot of them. Tasmania wouldn't have won a game if it weren't for this man, he dominated this year and deserves all the plaudits he receives

Ashton Turner had a break out season for the Warriors, his batting was excellent throughout the year and provided a handy option with ball in hand for whomever was captaining the side. Looks to be another potential future Australian player

Moises Henriques made a lot of runs with the bat after the Christmas break, and was one of the best in the country for a period there. If fit his bowling is more than handy as well

Peter Nevill got dropped from the Australian side and responded by making bulk runs against most attacks in the country. He was very important for New South Wales to attempt to make the final, but they unluckily fell short while he was batting.

Chris Tremain bowled excellently this season, putting his name forward as one of the best bowlers in the country, having the second lowest average, third lowest economy rate and the second lowest strike rate of any player in the Shield with 20+ wickets.

Jason Behrendorff missed 3 games for the Warriors but he still dominated. He had the equal highest wickets/match along with Chadd Sayers, as well as an excellent strike rate and average to go along with it. His left armers also provide good variety to this attack.

Chadd Sayers has been remarkable this season. He's taken 54 wickets this season, 9th on the list for most in a Shield season ever, averaged less than 20 and still kept the pressure on with an economy rate of 2.69.

Jon Holland had another fantastic season with ball in hand after getting a taste of test cricket in Sri Lanka before the summer started. It was a tight race between him and Will Somerville for the spinners spot but he had more wickets, a better average and strike rate, although Somerville had a better economy rate.

What do you guys think?

Good effort, can't really fault it. Maybe Mackin slips in there after his impressive purple patch but that would be about the only significant change I could think of.

Henriques making most of his runs in drawn matches which might imply easier tracks to bat on

Henriques has the better consistency which shows in the overall stats, but lehmann more instrumental in winning games which is why IMO I'd swap them over
These sorts of comparisons are a bit specious. e.g. the main reason NSW drew so many matches is because their attack was poor and consistently struggled to take 20 wickets. Swap the two teams' bowlers, you suddenly have a whole different set of stats without the batting being any different.

Last edited:
These sorts of comparisons are a bit specious. e.g. the main reason NSW drew so many matches is because their attack was poor and consistently struggled to take 20 wickets. Swap the two teams' bowlers, you suddenly have a whole different set of stats without the batting being any different.
Might be right, but also swap the batters over and Henriques probably isn't making 700 runs.
We all know the problems with stats, there's always a dozen different ways of looking at things. But I think it's a flawed assumption to think that all runs are equal.

I think the fact that Henriques has had many good years in the shield helps him when lehmann has only had 1. But looking at just this year lehmann had a much greater impact for his team

The fact the finalists have no batsmen in the team of the year does say something. For victoria they have about 7 quality batsmen that spread the load throughout the year so feasible not to have someone, but that's not the case with SA heavily reliant on 2 lehmann & cooper

Ok my last chance at trying to convince someone that it's not as clear cut as most runs.
Just direct comparison Lehman v Henriques

In the 4 games NSW won Henriques made as a % of his team's score for the match

5.6%, 9.8%, 10.1%, 12.4%

Vs lehmann 5x wins

4.9%, 5.1%, 14.5%, 26.8%, 31.5%

Goes to my point that lehmann was very instrumental in winning games

Overall runs by result;
Henriques
Win - 193 (24.9%)
Loss - 155 (20%)
Draw - 427 (55.1%)

Lehmann
Win - 378 (55.8%)
Loss - 299 (44.2%)
Draw - N/A

Henriques was better. Let it go.

Henriques was better. Let it go.
Dont worry Eth, I've given up on it, just throwing the conversation out there. Interesting your team is identical to the one on CA website.

They named wildermuth as 12th man in theirs... maybe Lehmann's got him covered ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back