Should Essendon trade Brendan Goddard?

Remove this Banner Ad

he isnt worth anything. big contract, nearing the end. like others said, dons would have to pay out some of his contract.

i really dislike the guy, showed terrible character walking out on the saints, even if he was given the option.

i really disliked the fact that he pulled heppels hair in that exchange, heppel rightly told him to pull his head in, fired goddard up, he kicked a goal then went over like a petulant child, didnt do shit for the rrst of the game and dons lost.

id hate him at the swans. got no time for him. and hes mature aged, but to me hes not a leader, leaders inspire people, he just points fingers, gets annoyed at team mates and plays poorly himself. flog

It would be crazy - to trade him

They need experienced heads and a player with his ability

Hey no one at Essendon has played well this year so let's not bag this guy too much. See din without Hird post the WADA thing will scale quickly up the ladder in my view ...they won't be wing the flag for a while but WCE seem Bulldogs and west coast rebound really quickly ...so it can be done

No keep him. At his age

Would only be useful for a club in their premiership window willing to take a short term perspective. I don't think he would leave Essendon anyway, I think he still feels some guilt for leaving the Saints. For better or worse he will tough it out and finish with Essendon.

Maybe a fit with the Bulldogs, they should have cap till their young guys start demanding more, after that be takes a paycut. Provides them with extra leadership for another finals push and he gets a shot with an improving team.

Weighing in late but it's a poor suggestion. He may be a flog but if he's highly thought of within Essendon then it's irrelevant. Essendon have a dearth of quality senior players, it's one of the myriad of reasons that's seen them capitulate, getting rid of him for a speculative draft pick or one or two younger yet inferior players when he's still capable of producing good footy for a few seasons yet is a little insane IMO.

They're going to spend the next couple of seasons rebuilding and he'll be a steadying hand and good mentor to the kids. If, by some miracle, they find themselves playing finals footy soon then that's even more reason to retain his services. Quick perusal of their list will tell you they don't have much by way of experienced finals players. Not many have gone further than week 1, anyway.

tl;dr- nup

Much like Bartel, isn't much of a defender/midfielder now (I mean, still ok, but not great).

If he wants a flag should go to Richmond or West Coast, and be planted in the forward line. Very smart player, can take a grab, too tall for a small defender but would get away from a big defender, and a pretty good kick. Dogs probably as well.

WC forward line of Kennedy, Darling, Goddard, LeCras, Hill, Cripps...Tiges forward line of Riewoldt, Vickery, Goddard, Deledio, Edwards...some good ones here.

Will likely stay at Essendon though I assume.

Feel free to pot Goddard's performances but anyone who's been to an Essndon/Saints training or spoken to either clubs respective players about Goddard will tell you that he's an excellent leader with a high footy IQ.

While Goddard's demeanour looks terrible when he's shouting at his teammates I've been told by a couple of ex/current players that what he's actually saying is constructive and in line with the teams game plan.

I think you meed to get a more reliable source,he was not liked by many players at St Kilda,& is certaintly not very popular with a lot of players at Essendon especially the younger players.A none control freak who likes the game played on his terms all you young players go in & win the hard ball while I run into my own paddock & then you pass it to me.$800,00 a year has to be the biggest con since Co2 emissions,he would make a hell of a car salesman,& I reckon he could sell fridges to the Eskimo's but he can't play football.

I think you meed to get a more reliable source,he was not liked by many players at St Kilda,& is certaintly not very popular with a lot of players at Essendon especially the younger players.A none control freak who likes the game played on his terms all you young players go in & win the hard ball while I run into my own paddock & then you pass it to me.$800,00 a year has to be the biggest con since Co2 emissions,he would make a hell of a car salesman,& I reckon he could sell fridges to the Eskimo's but he can't play football.

Being popular and being a good leader aren't necessarily the same thing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who are your sources at Essendon and St Kilda?

Very popular with senior guys.

Not so nice to list cloggers.

CAN play, clearly regrets his decision.

That's life though.

Still reckon that hip injury stuffed his ability somewhat, was pretty major surgery.

Jobe needed him last year, that aspect worked out well.

Well if you Look at the most successful clubs,Hawthorn Swans etc their core on field leaders the Hodges Mitchell, McVeigh for the Swans lead by example,their fellow team mates follow because of respect & I am pretty sure their not on $800,00 a year.BJ is always sooking or finger pointing reminds me still of a little kid running around in the under tens grossly overated player,would never have played a game in the past era

I'd have him at Hawthorn if Suckling leaves. Can do at least as much as Suckling has done for us. Maybe not as quick but more than makes up for it in other areas. Though the thought of having to deal with Essendon in the trade period makes me wonder if it'd be worth the hassle.

edit- Déjà vu. Just realised that I made almost this exact post in this thread back in July. Right down to the reasoning and doubts about dealing with Essendon. At least I'm consistent :p

I'd have him at Hawthorn if Suckling leaves. Can do at least as much as Suckling has done for us. Maybe not as quick but more than makes up for it in other areas. Though the thought of having to deal with Essendon in the trade period makes me wonder if it'd be worth the hassle.
we gifted you burgoyne (well half of him) in our last trade.
not worth the hassle?

edit- Déjà vu. Just realised that I made almost this exact post in this thread back in July. Right down to the reasoning and doubts about dealing with Essendon. At least I'm consistent :p
What more could Hawthorn want? Gave you a first round pick for Williams, who was pretty much finished, and assisted you in getting Burgoyne

Remove this Banner Ad

Back