Summer Should Melbourne Bid For The 2028 Games

Should Melbourne Bid For The 2028 Games

• Yes

Votes: 79 62.2%
  • No

Votes: 48 37.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Ideally they don't have it after August. Besides Sydney you have to go back to 1988 Seoul for a Summer Olympics that happened any later.

Officially I think the Winter Olympics are in February because it's the snowiest month but it can't be a coincidence the NFL season happens to end in early February.

Ideally they don't have it after August. Besides Sydney you have to go back to 1988 Seoul for a Summer Olympics that happened any later.

Officially I think the Winter Olympics are in February because it's the snowiest month but it can't be a coincidence the NFL season happens to end in early February.

There hasn't been a Winter Olympics that took place in any part of January since 1964 and even that started on the 29th. Since that was before the Super Bowl era it has nothing to do with the NFL but more to do with placing the Olympics after the 3rd quarter mark of the Winter Sports season and not the beginning.

Same goes the Summer Olympics and a October Game places it out of season of most of the events

As someone born in 1995 I am very happy Melbourne didn't get it in 96. It would have been nice if Athens did get it then.
I live near Sydney and was too young for the 2000 Olympics. Absolutely devo, because I would love to experience a home Olympics before I am too old! Love the Olympics, really hoping Paris win the 2024 bid so I can work a European holiday around it.

It won't ever be shifted to January because of the NFL.

It wasn't shifted to begin with, there hasn't been talk of shifting it and most of the biggest non-Olympic winter events are held in January in Europe and won't move for the Olympics. The NFL/NBC has nothing to do with the positioning of where the Winter Olympics fall on the calendar as its been in the same slot since 1964 and has only been in January for a total of 10 days in its history. Its a false argument you are making.

It's not a false argument. The Super Bowl is half a century old (and the NFL much older). It's not a recent development the IOC just now has to take into account.

It's not a false argument. The Super Bowl is half a century old (and the NFL much older). It's not a recent development the IOC just now has to take into account.

......and the last Winter Olympics that took place in any part of January was in 1964 THE TWO YEARS BEFORE the first Super Bowl, not a recent or future Games. So there has NEVER been a clash like you somehow think there is or could be.

The main reason there hasn't been a Winter Olympics in any part of January since 1964 is the creation of the FIS Alpine Ski World Cup in 1967 (and other World Cups for Winter Sports like Cross Country and Ski-Jumping) with the major race weekends for the "classics" of Wengen and Kitzbuhel falling on the middle weekends of the month with time to left to recover for the Olympics. Heck even the Alpine World Championships every two years are held in the February slot reserved for the Olympics and have done so since the 1940's. The games are suited to the European seasons (local events in January and Championships in February) - the NFL got lucky

Even though Coates wants Brisbane, let's be honest they'll never ever win the bid, if Australia wants to really host the Olympics in the next 50 years, it's Melbourne or its nothing.

Even though Coates wants Brisbane, let's be honest they'll never ever win the bid, if Australia wants to really host the Olympics in the next 50 years, it's Melbourne or its nothing.
Melbourne weather in August/Sept make it impossible for Melbourne to ever hold an Olympics again.
There is no way the IOC or US TV will accept anything outside these dates.

Only option for Australia is Brisbane or Sydney again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Melbourne weather in August/Sept make it impossible for Melbourne to ever hold an Olympics again.
There is no way the IOC or US TV will accept anything outside these dates.

Only option for Australia is Brisbane or Sydney again.
Stop clutching at straws lol. London has had the Olympics 3 times with an average temperature of under 20 degrees in August but all of a sudden Melbourne is to cold, if I was running a marathon or riding 200+ km in a day I would prefer the 19-21 you would get in Melbourne over the 25+ you would get in Brisbane

Stop clutching at straws lol. London has had the Olympics 3 times with an average temperature of under 20 degrees in August but all of a sudden Melbourne is to cold, if I was running a marathon or riding 200+ km in a day I would prefer the 19-21 you would get in Melbourne over the 25+ you would get in Brisbane

London in August is far warmer than Melbourne is in August
In 2012,London averaged 23deg with a highest temp of 27 deg
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/about-us/how/case-studies/london-2012-olympics

Melbourne is simply too cold and too wet to host an Olympics in August .

You do know that it Sydney receives considerably more rain Melbourne?.
Yeh,and like Sydney,Brisbane has more rain than Melbourne,but on less days and in shorter periods.

Melburnians can go on forever that the weather is "not that bad", but the only thing that matters is that the AOC see it as a huge weakness in an Olympic bid,hence their support of Brisbane.

Yeh,and like Sydney,Brisbane has more rain than Melbourne,but on less days and in shorter periods.

Melburnians can go on forever that the weather is "not that bad", but the only thing that matters is that the AOC see it as a huge weakness in an Olympic bid,hence their support of Brisbane.
Let's be honest Brisbane is a shithole and even though Coats will support it being there because he couldn't bare Melbourne getting it, it will receive no support on the world stage. Also Brisbane has none of the stadia required and no use for it after. Brisbane hosting the Olympics would be embarrassing for Australia

What ******* fantasy land are people living in where they think Brisbane will host the Olympics? Brisbane? May as well hold them in Geelong FFS.

Jesus, Kardinia Park already gets enough government funding.

What ******* fantasy land are people living in where they think Brisbane will host the Olympics? Brisbane? May as well hold them in Geelong FFS.

There is a theory (probably bullshit) that 'first-tier' cities won't pay for this anymore but 'second-tier' cities might get excited about it.

Back