Summer Should Melbourne Bid For The 2028 Games

Should Melbourne Bid For The 2028 Games

• Yes

Votes: 79 62.2%
  • No

Votes: 48 37.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

This story in Today's Oz says Brisbane is in the box seat for a 2028 or 2032 bid. There are a few issues like transportation, enough accommodation if there are 500,000 tourists and a central Brisbane sporting hub like Melbourne, being the main ones, there are more positives than negatives.

Brisbane ticks the boxes for 2028 bid
While the “how not to do it” Games are about to get under way in Rio de Janeiro, a pre-feasibility analysis report has indicated Brisbane and its surrounding regions are fully capable of hosting a successful Olympics in 2028. The Rio Games are throwing up one problem after another — from the Zika virus to issues of personal safety, to unsatisfactory accommodation for the athletes in the Olympic Village — but the pre-feasibility study commissioned and paid for by the Council of Mayors (southeast Queensland) suggests Brisbane could put on an Olympics and Paralympics the world would celebrate.

Importantly, the report indicates that the Games could be made to work within broader regional plans for the development and expansion of southeast Queensland. So far, the proposed 2028 Olympics have not been costed. The study conducted was designed merely to study the region’s current and future capacity and how this would dovetail with what an Olympics would require of it.

An announcement will be made at a media conference to be held in Brisbane this afternoon whether the mayors of the region’s 11 councils will press ahead with a full-blown feasibility study that will take in the costs and economic benefits of a bid for the 2028 or possibly 2032 Games. The qualified optimism of the pre-feasibility report certainly suggests they will.“An SEQ Olympic bid can only, and will only, proceed if it will demonstrably deliver a better region for our residents and a stronger economic, social and cultural legacy for Queensland and Australia,” the report warns.........The major shortcoming of the region, the report will show, is that lack of a co-ordinated public transportation plan. The intention under the “linear city plan” is to have travel times from Brisbane to the Gold and Sunshine coasts limited to under 45 minutes via fast trains but this should work well for commuters as well as Games spectators.
http://www.news.com.au/sport/brisba...d/news-story/c6ea73a7ce4ad94332b135dbb6007c5f

Last edited:
Br
Coates is 64. If he is a typical pOlympic official he will hold power until he is 80 so the likelihood is he will be around in 2019 - 2020 when a bid for 2028 has to be formulated.

I dont think you know what the southern hemisphere is. There have been only 2 Olympics in the southern hemisphere - Melbourne November/December 1956 + Sydney September 2000. Rio will be the third in August 2016.

Sydney only had the SFS and Darling Harbour completed when they submitted their bid in September 1993. The swimming centre had been committed to being built irrespective on winning the bid and construction had only just commenced.

Brisbane would have no problem using existing infrastructue - upgrades as well as building a new main 70,000 seat stadium and other facilities. Combined with the GC they piss in the minimum accomodation requirements.

If the Qld government wants to fund it they probably have to find $5bil to $8bil today $$$. The village would be built and financed by the private sector to sell straight after the games.

Its very doable. My preference would be Melbourne but Coates wouldnt have said Brisbane without knowing what he was talking about. He was on the committee overseeing London deliverying the Games and is on the committee overseeing Rio.
Brisbane has to build an 85,000 seat stadium and have no where to put it but in the outer suburbs where they have no transport. What a waste of money. As someone who lives in Brisbane I would be furious. Brisbane dont even have enough hotels. And Gold Coast is too far away to share it. Melbourne has all the stadiums already, they are all located close to the city and it is a much bigger city and can deal with the tourists. It's an absolute no brainer. Melbourne or no one.

Br

Brisbane has to build an 85,000 seat stadium and have no where to put it but in the outer suburbs where they have no transport. What a waste of money. As someone who lives in Brisbane I would be furious. Brisbane dont even have enough hotels. And Gold Coast is too far away to share it. Melbourne has all the stadiums already, they are all located close to the city and it is a much bigger city and can deal with the tourists. It's an absolute no brainer. Melbourne or no one.
Read the rest of this thread. The AOC and John Coates in particular who is now no.2 at the IOC said Brisbane will be the next Oz city to make a bid because basically the IOC want the games over by the end of September and Melbourne's weather wont allow for a Winter Summer Olympics.

Read the rest of this thread. The AOC and John Coates in particular who is now no.2 at the IOC said Brisbane will be the next Oz city to make a bid because basically the IOC want the games over by the end of September and Melbourne's weather wont allow for a Winter Summer Olympics.
I know that. It's a stupid reason that will bankrupt Queensland. The games should not be played in cities that can't fund it just because the weather is ok. Goes to show that Coates is either an idiot or is immoral and doesn't give a stuff about the impact it has on the city hosting it.

I know that. It's a stupid reason that will bankrupt Queensland. The games should not be played in cities that can't fund it just because the weather is ok. Goes to show that Coates is either an idiot or is immoral and doesn't give a stuff about the impact it has on the city hosting it.
How is the government spending between a net current $ value of $2bil to $6bil between 2023 - the vote will be in September 2021 - and 2028 or maybe between 2027 and 2032 going to bankrupt Queensland?? The private sector will be financing plenty of infrastructure. That is the future of the Olympics in advanced countries. If they can't afford it, they can't afford it.

That's why they will continue to do feasibility studies. So do you know what the state of the economy will be like in 2020 or in 2024 when they start getting serious for a bid for either 2028 or 2032? The village will be funded by the private sector and they will make decent profits. Same with big buildings needed for the Media centre. The big ticket items for the government will be an 80,000 seat stadium - which if they follow the London model they can build relatively cheap where you can reduce it down to 25,000 like a big meccano set rather than a massive concrete structure and of course transport infrastructure. And yes I know the London stadium wont be a 25,000 seater permanently because West Ham is now moving there and it will be a 60,000 seater.

Get the bloody Wagner family to build the infrastructure. They built that international standard airport west of Toowomba in record time of 18 months and financed it themselves for $100mil out of their own wealth and borrowings. First bloody airport built in Oz for 44 years since Tullamarine in 1970. Where is that Qld can do attitude that these guys have and helped take the state out of its backwater status? :)

Sydney, athens, Beijing, london, rio, Tokyo, paris/madrid/rome.

There is no chance brisbane will win a bid judging on the current trend of host cities. They are all major capitals with plenty going for them. Sydney and Melbourne are the only 2 we should nominate at this point and probably for the next 20 years.

Sydney, athens, Beijing, london, rio, Tokyo, paris/madrid/rome.

There is no chance brisbane will win a bid judging on the current trend of host cities. They are all major capitals with plenty going for them. Sydney and Melbourne are the only 2 we should nominate at this point and probably for the next 20 years.

The only thing Athens had going for it was history.

Brisbane (and south-east Queensland in general) is a wealthy, safe city with an environment conducive to outdoor sports in the crucial Olympic months of August and September. It would be a very strong candidate.

Not even time zone matters, as Beijing, Seoul, Tokyo and Sydney have/will demonstrate.

Which Australia PM would lead a government who says we don't want the Olympics to come to Oz??. They might not fund it but they aren't stupid enough to stop a bid from a state government.

I can't predict the disposition of future Prime Ministers, but I know the states are dependent on Canberra to fill their annual budgets let alone hold something of this magnitude.

I can't predict the disposition of future Prime Ministers, but I know the states are dependent on Canberra to fill their annual budgets let alone hold something of this magnitude.
Have you read the commonwealth constitution and Section 96 re tied grants ie specific grants which must be spent on those specific purposes? Have you read the COAG agreements since the GST was introduced and the method by which the states get the GST re distributed to them?

There is nothing stopping the states imposing income tax, company tax and capital gains tax just like pre 1942. These 3 taxes make up about 2/3rds of the feds revenue. The states handed over these taxing powers to the Commonwealth in time of war, and the feds have never handed it back. The states can raise their own taxes - existing ones and new ones. Nothing stopping them putting on death duties, hotel taxes, sales tax ie effectively increase the GST etc etc. If a state wants to make a bid, and the people back it, then if they are prepared to pay the price, by imposing extra taxes, borrowings etc, then so be it. Its got nothing to do with the feds.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is and the ioc made a mistake choosing it. But if you look back at my statement I mentioned Olympics from Sydney onwards and it was part of my point. The ioc since atlanta have chosen world cities.

Fair enough :thumbsu:

Melbournes weather in September is fine actually it was bloody hot last year the building site I was on got heated off around the end of September start of October. Also for most of the out door athletes it is beneficial for them for the games to be held in a slightly cooler climate. The weather card is total s**t, is the TV audience in the US Europe and China not going to watch it because it is 20 and not 25?

Its a huge risk for a Melbourne Olympics in September.
Its too cold and can be too wet.

Here is a actual comparison between Sydney,Melbourne and Brisbane and the weather they experienced during the End Sep Olympic period(1996-2012)Note that the 1996 weather dates is based on Melbournes bid in 1990( thank goodness,the weather then was horrendous) and the 2000 dates were if course Sydney 2000.
image.jpg

Brisbane will be the safe bet.

May it have less to do with the weather and more NBC not wanting it to conflict with a popular American sport?

Weather wise Brisbane is a safe bet.

Will they have a place for the infrastructure? Not many places I can think of there would have all that space in the middle of town, so they would have to think of something for that. They could also use places like the GC to hold certain events too if needed. Only an hour down the road, Host Cities have had events further away from them.

We'd have to have a mid season break for the footy. Easier said than done. Also why can't we just hold it in november? Why do they want it in september so badly?

Back