Opinion Should Stevie J play on in 2017?

Remove this Banner Ad

I was at the game and the place went bunta when Stevie J kicked that "impossible goal"

If I were a part of the Giants, I'd be doing everything in my power to keep him.

Yeah im no longer on the fence, he's playing on. Reckon that was his best game for us, cant recall anytime he tried to do too much and kicked some ripping goals.

Not sure if his got another whole year in him but perhaps a job share arrangement with Harvey

Yeh, I share these doubts, it's pretty hard to know whether players will get through whole seasons once they reach a certain age.

The other thing is that we have so many quality youngsters playing NEAFL - as an example, I'd rather we kept Jack Steele for 10 years than have Stevie J for another year (as much as I have enjoyed Stevie J this year).

Hey sorry to intrude.. what's the latest on stevie? Would be a shame if you lost next week and he'd played his last game..
(Not trolling, would actually like to see you vs crows or doggies in the GF)

Hey sorry to intrude.. what's the latest on stevie? Would be a shame if you lost next week and he'd played his last game..
(Not trolling, would actually like to see you vs crows or doggies in the GF)
Dont think anyone knows. Suspect it's one of those end of season announcements. It's not offensive to suggest we might lose, we're realists.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's great bursting off the contest in the forward line and getting into space.

Outside of the forward line he's a liability. If the opponents have the ball in our forward line he's a liability.

Point 1 has largely outweighed point 2 this year. At some point in the next 12 months I feel the club would rather not have the liabilities.

I get it's up to him, and I'd expect frank discussions at the end of season review. But would he go through the pain of an off season if he risked playing NEAFL? My guess is the club wont delist him if he wants to.

I get it's up to him, and I'd expect frank discussions at the end of season review. But would he go through the pain of an off season if he risked playing NEAFL? My guess is the club wont delist him if he wants to.

Even if he played on next year he wouldn't be playing NEAFL - if he played 12/15 games the other 7/10 would be rested/managed.

Even if he played on next year he wouldn't be playing NEAFL - if he played 12/15 games the other 7/10 would be rested/managed.
I've not seen a modern AFL side with a part time player though. Leon did alude to that with Mummy this year but it hasn't happended. It kind of has with Himmelburg ànd Kennedy but I think thats partly they aren't physically ready and to give them the opporrunity to develope what they need out of the pressure cooker of AFL.
I dont know you're wrong, but In my view with a mature player the pressure of selecting the best side each week would make that difficult.
I'm not saying he isn't good enough to make the side either, he is in my view, just musing

It's an interesting dilemma. He has said that playing with the Giants has reinvigorated him.

If he had scored 4.1 last week instead of 0.5 it might have been a different conversation. Generating 5 shots on goal in a QF shows he still has a lot of value.

I'm not convinced Stevie's got another full season left in him, I have had the thought of getting Brent Harvey and alternating the two next season so our younger players can learn from both but doubt that will happen.

Perhaps the ideal would be the team shows they have learnt how to play even when he's not there while winning their way into the Grand Final, then he comes back to play his last game helping GWS win their first Grand Final.

I guess we'll see, he'll probably play on and play out another strong year.

Nah reckon we spend one of the first round picks on Breust, retire Johnson and we still get the 40 goals a year but we add defensive pressure to the mix

Johnson can teach from the sidelines like Lenny does

It's an interesting dilemma. He has said that playing with the Giants has reinvigorated him.

If he had scored 4.1 last week instead of 0.5 it might have been a different conversation. Generating 5 shots on goal in a QF shows he still has a lot of value.

He got us up and about early on in the final. The hit on Kennedy went a long way to winning us the game.

I heard in the media all week how he was the forward line general coaching from on field ... the only mistake he made this season was getting bumped from the Prelim. I suspect he is still in the best 22 and if his fitness form and desire remain then give him another 12 months, he is likely to help you go that bit further in 2017.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back