Injury SJOGHCIU - Will the curse be lifted in 2024? LOL, not a chance. Rinse and repeat

Remove this Banner Ad

Official injury list (6) released 23/4

Long Term (1) :
• R15 Elijah Hewett (Foot) - Post Bye (No change)

Medium Term (4) :
• R13 Cal Jamieson (Hamstring) - 6 weeks (Was TBC)
• R12-14 Oscar Allen (Knee) - 5-7 weeks (Was 6-8 weeks)
• R11-13 Rhett Bazzo (Groin) - 4-6 weeks (Was 5-6 weeks)
• R11-12 Matt Flynn (Knee) - 4-5 weeks (No change)

Short Term (0) :

Test (1) :
• R7 Luke Edwards (Concussion) - 1 week (Was 1 week)

s**t news on both counts but really there was always going to be left over issues from the last couple of years of madness.

Hewett will be done for the year, the aim should now be for a relatively uncompromised preseason.

So it's taken all of two days for Oscar's 'just some bone related pain and he won't need surgery' to be revised to 'ok so he had just the merest smidgeon of surgery on a teeny bit of cartilage, tee hee, 8 weeks'

Let's be really very clear about it.

He missed the Adelaide Crows game with a knee injury which resulted in him being sent for scans.

The club then figured, in spite of years of similar horrific choices blowing up in their face, 'she'll be right' and cleared him to play against Port. Given those scans and given the obvious strapping on his knee, and his very poor game, really the only reasonable inference is he played hurt.

His knee injury is now much worse and he's out for 8 weeks. He's got cartilage damage that was there two weeks ago and they sent him out to play on it.

There's not another credible explanation unless you just want to reflexively believe it's an enormous coincidence that this keeps happening time after time.

He missed the Adelaide Crows game with a knee injury which resulted in him being sent for scans.

The club then figured, in spite of years of similar horrific choices blowing up in their face, 'she'll be right' and cleared him to play against Port. Given those scans and given the obvious strapping on his knee, and his very poor game, really the only reasonable inference is he played hurt.

His knee injury is now much worse and he's out for 8 weeks. He's got cartilage damage that was there two weeks ago and they sent him out to play on it.

There's not another credible explanation unless you just want to reflexively believe it's an enormous coincidence that this keeps happening time after time.

"Lets be really clear about this"
elaborate theory based on no substantial evidence
"there is not another explanation"

Last edited:

So it's taken all of two days for Oscar's 'just some bone related pain and he won't need surgery' to be revised to 'ok so he had just the merest smidgeon of surgery on a teeny bit of cartilage, tee hee, 8 weeks'

If the club sent him for scans and they came back clear, what do you want the club to do, not play a ‘healthy’ player who has no medical reason to not play?

Either a) the issue on the scan was missed/misinterpreted or b) there was nothing on the scan to suggest he shouldn’t play and then injured himself in the game on the weekend.

I’m not entirely sure how scans work, but I don’t think they are simply sent back to the club to analyse/interpret without a medical
Professional analysing and explaining what the scan shows.

It’s tough luck, sucks for Oscar but on its face I can’t see any problem with what the club has done.

Hewett is done.

For this year.

Let's hope it's onwards and upwards from there.

We need a Spanish inquisition to find the black cat we crossed and skin it.
It's the song....rumours of us changing it and things start looking up, we run out to the same crapfest birds of tokyo song in round 1 and things turn to s**t again.
The BOT version is cursed

So how many weeks till we are down to 5 players available for the Beagles
Say Less Bad Luck GIF by Bridge and Tunnel on EPIX

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why the hell were they so positive about Hewett's condition and saying that he was pain free for the first time in 2 years, then suddenly reveal this?
At a guess, he might have been running pain-free a couple of weeks ago, but then the club tried to increase his workload and his feet didn't respond well to that, which has led to the decision to undergo surgery.

As I said though that's purely guesswork - without knowing all of the nuances of his situation and how the S&C staff have approached his recovery it's hard to criticise the club for how they have handled this

If the club sent him for scans and they came back clear, what do you want the club to do, not play a ‘healthy’ player who has no medical reason to not play?

Either a) the issue on the scan was missed/misinterpreted or b) there was nothing on the scan to suggest he shouldn’t play and then injured himself in the game on the weekend.

How could you possibly reconcile b) with this gem of a comment from Matt Innes on Monday

Allen did not report any soreness before, during or immediately after Sunday’s match against Port Adelaide, but underwent scans on Tuesday after experiencing swelling which revealed some bone stress.

So, he sustained a totally unpredictable, 8+ week injury, which needs surgery, totally out of the blue, except he didn't actually feel it happen before during or after the game and it just happens to be on a knee which was already sore and pre-emptively strapped ready for that unexpected injury. That's not so much unbelievable as just incoherent nonsense. Their own lies are contradicting their lies.

In fact I think what you suggest as a), ie they sent him for scans two weeks ago and failed to properly identify the issue, most likely is part of the real story, but that doesn't make it okay, it makes it ******* dreadful. In terms of his ability, his role and his salary cap share, oscar allen is about the most important player west coast have. He is absolutely crucial to its future. This is coming on top of a constant and well documented history of chronic injuries to key players that have ended multiple careers and led to by far the worst couple of seasons in club history. If there is one situation where you would think, after all the soul searching and talk about getting the list healthy the club medicos would err on the side of caution and be very very careful to avoid sending an injured player out to play, this would surely be it. And they still ******* missed it or figured it would be okay and still have the utter front to push the same lies they have been pushing for the last few years.

It's genuinely amazing seeing some people still tieing themselves in knots to find a way to believe the club in complete defiance of logic. How many times does it have to happen before you recognise the obvious?

How could you possibly reconcile b) with this gem of a comment from Matt Innes on Monday

Allen did not report any soreness before, during or immediately after Sunday’s match against Port Adelaide, but underwent scans on Tuesday after experiencing swelling which revealed some bone stress.

So, he sustained a totally unpredictable, 8+ week injury, which needs surgery, totally out of the blue, except he didn't actually feel it happen before during or after the game and it just happens to be on a knee which was already sore and pre-emptively strapped ready for that unexpected injury. That's not so much unbelievable as just incoherent nonsense. Their own lies are contradicting their lies.

In fact I think what you suggest as a), ie they sent him for scans two weeks ago and failed to properly identify the issue, most likely is part of the real story, but that doesn't make it okay, it makes it ******* dreadful. In terms of his ability, his role and his salary cap share, oscar allen is about the most important player west coast have. He is absolutely crucial to its future. This is coming on top of a constant and well documented history of chronic injuries to key players that have ended multiple careers and led to by far the worst couple of seasons in club history. If there is one situation where you would think, after all the soul searching and talk about getting the list healthy the club medicos would err on the side of caution and be very very careful to avoid sending an injured player out to play, this would surely be it. And they still ******* missed it or figured it would be okay and still have the utter front to push the same lies they have been pushing for the last few years.

It's genuinely amazing seeing some people still tieing themselves in knots to find a way to believe the club in complete defiance of logic. How many times does it have to happen before you recognise the obvious?

Who is to blame then?

The fitness guy is new, so is the CEO, the coach is old but doesn’t manage injuries (you’d hope..).

Footy Operations Manager maybe?

Or is it just flat out a bad club doctor at play?

When you say ‘recognise the obvious’ can you please be a little more obvious and actually say what you think is going on here?

‘Incompetence’ isn’t really an answer - but are you happy to settle on that though as your ‘obvious’?

Or do we just blame the ‘hard training ground’? Is that the obvious?

Or are you literately just complaining the club ‘lies’ about injuries to annoy the small minority of diehard fans that actually pour over injury updates, track return dates and speculate on injury management?

West Coast and lying about player injuries.

Is there a more iconic duo.

To be fair we aren't alone on this part

Afl tried to clamp down a bit with the new injury list rules (mainly for Geelong who took the absolute piss with it) but some seem to (ridiculously imo) think it provides some sort of advantage to be mysterious with player availability.

Did I read that Allen has meniscus issues (cartilage in the old language) - I have had arthroscopic surgery for this. Its pretty common off season for footballers - used to be referred to asa clean up. Very different to invasive surgery - I have had plenty of that.

PS - I have never run after the arthroscopic surgery but I had other degenerative issues.

I've had a stress fracture in my knee which didn't get picked up in initial xrays, it was a funny one when i was running it wouldn't be sore but afterwards I wouldn't be able to walk, it sort of came and went. Only when I got an mri did they detect it and even then it was hard to spot.

Strapping on the knee isn’t a surprise given he had been sent for scans, assuming after experiencing pain in the knee.

Do you believe the club when they say the scans didn’t show any injury?

If scans came back clear, what do you want them to do? Not play him?

I've had a stress fracture in my knee which didn't get picked up in initial xrays, it was a funny one when i was running it wouldn't be sore but afterwards I wouldn't be able to walk, it sort of came and went. Only when I got an mri did they detect it and even then it was hard to spot.
My mate had a stress fracture go 80% of the way through his tibia (due to overprinting when doing ultra marathons) and just thought it was a sore calf. Missed on the xray but picked up on subsequent scans.

The years and years of injuries just really kills the enjoyment of being able to watch players an the team develop, especially when it keeps happening right at the start of the year.
This.

I don't get how people can't see this is the main reason we've been crap, continuity.

Even with half the injuries we've had we'd be semi competitive

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back