Injury SJOGHCIU - Will the curse be lifted in 2024? LOL, not a chance. Rinse and repeat

Remove this Banner Ad

Official injury list (6) released 23/4

Long Term (1) :
• R15 Elijah Hewett (Foot) - Post Bye (No change)

Medium Term (4) :
• R13 Cal Jamieson (Hamstring) - 6 weeks (Was TBC)
• R12-14 Oscar Allen (Knee) - 5-7 weeks (Was 6-8 weeks)
• R11-13 Rhett Bazzo (Groin) - 4-6 weeks (Was 5-6 weeks)
• R11-12 Matt Flynn (Knee) - 4-5 weeks (No change)

Short Term (0) :

Test (1) :
• R7 Luke Edwards (Concussion) - 1 week (Was 1 week)

Matt Innes has been there for about 4 months

Paul Turk started either just before or just after Christmas

Mark Kilgallon started late 2022

Those three head up our S&C/High Performance replacing staff who’d all been there for 10+ years

We’ve just had an overhaul and made significant changes to the way we train which if you listen to Pyke came with an accepted risk that some injuries would occur
Thanks for clarifying, I wasn't sure about all the backroom staff, where do the players get their scans done? Or is it just wherever...

That culture you're talking about seems to be working pretty well for us right now, doesn't it?

There's a big difference between playing out a game with an injury, and starting a game potentially injured. One is to be admired, the other is selfish...especially when we have young players in the wings who are ready to step in.

Sure. I agree with this, but you need to account for the facts we had on hand at the time.

We were conservative with Allen, rested him from Adelaide pre-season game and sent him for scans that came back clear.

He was healthy and medically fit to play. So in that regard, there is no reason for him not to play.

Sure. I agree with this, but you need to account for the facts we had on hand at the time.

We were conservative with Allen, rested him from Adelaide pre-season game and sent him for scans that came back clear.

He was healthy and medically fit to play. So in that regard, there is no reason for him not to play.
His knee being strapped tells me that he wasnt 100% fit to play, but that is just an assumption as well never actually know the inside facts.

Ultimately, I guess you just have more faith than I do right now when it comes to the club making medical decisions.

His knee being strapped tells me that he wasnt 100% fit to play, but that is just an assumption as well never actually know the inside facts.

Ultimately, I guess you just have more faith than I do right now when it comes to the club making medical decisions.

So you’re saying the club decided to rest him, send him for scans, found something concerning on the scans and decided to strap him up and send him out?

This doesn’t make sense to me.

So you’re saying the club decided to rest him, send him for scans, found something concerning on the scans and decided to strap him up and send him out?

This doesn’t make sense to me.
No. I'm saying he probably still had some sort of knee soreness, hence the strapping. But like I said, that's just me making assumptions.

No. I'm saying he probably still had some sort of knee soreness, hence the strapping. But like I said, that's just me making assumptions.

I’d agree. But the main thing here (for me atleast) is the scans were clear.

If you’re medically cleared then becomes about pain management. Players play sore every week.

If we’re going to rest players because they’re sore. We won’t be able to field a team.

The Flynn injury really has deflated the start of the season for me. Just needed a competitive ruck division to see what our kids could do in the middle.

It's really an issue.
Barnett has shown enough for me to say he's worth persisting with but he's still so young, gets monstered by mature bodies at this stage.

The Flynn injury really has deflated the start of the season for me. Just needed a competitive ruck division to see what our kids could do in the middle.

3 players we couldn’t afford to lose structurally are Flynn, Oscar and Gov and we lost 2 out of 3 to longer term injuries.

With Flynn it’s very hard to see young players develop when they need to be so reactive.

It’s a tough slog.

It's really an issue.
Barnett has shown enough for me to say he's worth persisting with but he's still so young, gets monstered by mature bodies at this stage.
Ruck is the only position in the game these days where you are completely one on one. And it relies so much on strength and experience. You'll just get beaten 40 times in a row when you're a young kid.

That’s been an absolute back breaker. A big, mature legit ruck who can give us first use would make a world of difference. Not enough to make us good, but it would help.

100% that was the kicker, everything could have flowed after

Annoying. His highlights package looked so good

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Harley Ginbey and yeo getting hit outs to advantage...

Brilliant insight into match day player management from AFL360

HR: Coach, I'm dying coach. I can't breathe out there.
AS: Just take a strepsil.
HR: What's a strepsil?

Edit: insert John Worsfold/Daniel Chick bit

That's not what simmo said. Harley was complaining of a sore throat

Should please a few older gen fans in here.

Cuddly Simmo out.

Tough s**t Simmo in.

True, it was less George Floyd and more fake Mafia boss.

That was Soothers. You think Harley likes playing with a dry sore throat? Get out of here you idiot!

Last edited:

Next couple of weeks looking good for a few of the lads. Hewett having surgery in Melbourne this week

Injury list

Oscar Allen Knee 8-10 weeks

Rhett Bazzo Groin 6-8 weeks

Jai Culley Knee 1 week

Matt Flynn Knee 6-8 weeks

Elijah Hewett Foot Post-bye

Archer Reid Knee 3-4 weeks

Liam Ryan Hamstring 2-3 weeks

Dom Sheed Foot 1-2 weeks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back