Injury SJOGHCIU - Will the curse be lifted in 2024? LOL, not a chance. Rinse and repeat

Remove this Banner Ad

Official injury list (7) released 28/5

Season (1) :
• Noah Long (Knee)

Long Term (2) :
• R18-20 Elijah Hewett (Foot) - 6-8 weeks (Was Post Bye)
• R16-17 Rhett Bazzo (Groin) - 4-5 weeks (No change)

Short Term (2) :
• R14 Oscar Allen (Knee) - 2 weeks (Was 3 weeks)
• R13-14 Luke Edwards (Concussion) - 1-2 weeks (New)

Test (2) :
• R12-13 Jack Petruccelle (Ankle) - Test (Was 1-2 weeks)
Alex Witherden (Calf) - Test (New)

Callum Jamieson and Harry Barnett have been taken off the injury list after recovering from their respective injuries.

Injury list doesn’t include Tyler Brockman who will be available for the WAFL side but won’t be considered for senior selection until after the bye following a late night car accident in Geraldton

Trying to trust the new S&C staff but it'll be a big yikes if Yeo plays this week. I don't think he shifts the needle enough to possibly win the game this weekend so another week of recovery isn't the worst idea.

On the flip side, if he's good to go...?

With all the injury problems over the past couple of years if he’s not right they won’t play him, if he’s out there on Sunday he’s 100% ready. I doubt they’d risk specially when will probably lose by 8+ goals anyway

Trying to trust the new S&C staff but it'll be a big yikes if Yeo plays this week. I don't think he shifts the needle enough to possibly win the game this weekend so another week of recovery isn't the worst idea.

On the flip side, if he's good to go...?

Exactly - on the flip side. They've been pretty good this year and conservative on timelines.

I think packing Longy up for the year is the right decision. Takes away any pressure to get back and he can get cherry ripe for next season.

If they opted for surgery already, it means either a tear requiring a graft, and / or also possibly other outer ligament damage that needs repairing. Shizen.

Reminds me when Lecras did his ACL in 2012, but not as heart breaking as when Nic did his 2nd ACL in 2018.

If he plays then we haven't learnt from the mistakes of the last two seasons.

The dude had OP and has just had a groin tweak - it shouldn't even be a discussion imo, give him the extra week.
He either passes the fitness test or he doesn't.

Resting when you're not injured will increase your chance of further injury, as you will start to lose conditioning.

If they opted for surgery already, it means either a tear requiring a graft, and / or also possibly other outer ligament damage that needs repairing. Shizen.

Reminds me when Lecras did his ACL in 2012, but not as heart breaking as when Nic did his 2nd ACL in 2018.
The competition was super weak in 2012. Sydney won it with Sam Reid and Adam Goodes as their key Forwards. I always felt if we'd had more injury luck (we were missing Lecca and Nicoski for the season plus JK for the first half) we were in with a chance.

Adding to what I posted above

• Kelly and Duggan did SFA but more likely on load management as I suspect Chesser was
• Archer Reid came back out but didn’t do much
• Gov and Waterman I expect will be right to play. Yeo will depend on how conservative they want to be. Didn’t show any signs of an issue but nobody got out of 2nd gear for what’s essentially a recovery session
• Flynn looks ready to go. WAFL bye this week but wouldn’t surprise if he gets a run the following week for the Beagles on managed minutes
• Jamieson did some rehab work initially (mostly in bare feet) but did join in with the rest later. Doing ruck work with Flynn and Livingstone as I type this
• Yeo staying out and doing some light skills work with Jones, Burgiel and Baker
Great news with Flynn, hopefully can stay injury free for a year or two.

Yeah Jamo was training bare foot often during preseason. This looked like a continuation of that

Watching him, he doesn’t look in any discomfort so hard to say if/when he’ll be right to play again
Looking forward to jamo being back he was the surprise packet at the start of the season .

I think he has way more upside than Harry Edwards

Bazzo? They aren’t saying much about him
If he has OP there is no quick fix . Its a matter of resting it for an extended period then slowly building . But as soon as he feels any groin sorness you have to back right off again .

They always try the non surgical route first even though its slow because the surgery reduces your explosive power and agility

Nothing compares to Peak-Jako doing his knee in 1996.
He was so unstoppable…until he wasn’t.
I was flat for a month I swear!

Bad luck for Longy, he’s a good young player. Get him set for next year.

Side note - we’ll actually miss Petch! - never thought I’d say that - he’s having his best season, easily.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our bye is now 4 weeks away. I wonder when they’ll start giving us some updates on how Hewett is doing - he’s been listed as “post-bye” for over a month now without any indication of how he’s progressing.

Bazzo in a similar boat, we haven’t heard a thing about where he’s at for the last 6 weeks and his return to play timeline has hardly changed.

I understand progress with injuries (especially tricky ones like groins) is often not linear, but if they could at least just tell us roughly what’s going on that’d be nice.

I feel like we’re slowly improving with our transparency but we do seem to have 1-2 players every year that just completely disappear down the rabbit hole and we go weeks without hearing anything from the club about them.

Our bye is now 4 weeks away. I wonder when they’ll start giving us some updates on how Hewett is doing - he’s been listed as “post-bye” for over a month now without any indication of how he’s progressing.

Bazzo in a similar boat, we haven’t heard a thing about where he’s at for the last 6 weeks and his return to play timeline has hardly changed.

I understand progress with injuries (especially tricky ones like groins) is often not linear, but if they could at least just tell us roughly what’s going on that’d be nice.

I feel like we’re slowly improving with our transparency but we do seem to have 1-2 players every year that just completely disappear down the rabbit hole and we go weeks without hearing anything from the club about them.
Gavin bell was asked by duff today. Mentioned that his rehab hasnt gone to plan with a few hiccups, but hopeful he returns post bye. He tacked hewett on that at the end too, but in his case wasnt to informative.

Last edited:

Follow the link to the Gavin Bell interview and at about 8.45 in, he’s asked about Bazzo and Hewett

The answer is pretty vague unfortunately but says Bazzo is on a two steps forward, one step back path that’s not progressing as quick as they’d like.

Re Hewett he didn’t so much more than they need to be patient. Sounded like he’s a way off still

hopefully flynn is in next weekend with oscar against clarksons minions

Flynn will be coming back through the WAFL to get form up.

Still a few more weeks before we see him at senior level

Follow the link to the Gavin Bell interview and at about 8.45 in, he’s asked about Bazzo and Hewett

The answer is pretty vague unfortunately but says Bazzo is on a two steps forward, one step back path that’s not progressing as quick as they’d like.

Still sounds very similar to NicNat last year, to me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back